News Forum - Nigerians are livid over UK’s omicron travel ban

Thaiger

Nigeria became the eleventh African country to be added to the UK’s red list earlier this week over fears travelers from the country could help spread the omicron COVID-19 variant in Britain. Announcing the ban, the UK’s Department of Health said 21 Omicron cases, or 16% of all omicron known cases at the time, were linked to travel from Nigeria. Ngerians join nationals of Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Angola, Malawi, Eswatini, Zambia, Lesotho and Namibia who are banned from entering the UK. British or Irish nations, or those who have residents rights in the UK, can only enter if […]

The story Nigerians are livid over UK’s omicron travel ban as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Nigeria became the eleventh African country to be added to the UK’s red list earlier this week over fears travelers from the country could help spread the omicron COVID-19 variant in Britain. Announcing the ban, the UK’s Department of Health said 21 Omicron cases, or 16% of all omicron known cases at the time, were linked to travel from Nigeria. Ngerians join nationals of Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Angola, Malawi, Eswatini, Zambia, Lesotho and Namibia who are banned from entering the UK. British or Irish nations, or those who have residents rights in the UK, can only enter if […]

The story Nigerians are livid over UK’s omicron travel ban as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just go somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. NCC1701A, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home. 

• Haha 8

slowing the spread of Omicron and the one hand, yes. But directing vaccines to Africa even more important. China was going to send a billion doses....so where are they?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Wow, this would affect of millions of Nigerian tourists coming to UK for Christmas... Oops, that's what TAT would say 

Bull!!!

TAT would say that 30 Million tourists would arrive in Thailand for Christmas !!!🎄 🎄 🎄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Bull!!!

TAT would say that 30 Million tourists would arrive in Thailand for Christmas !!!🎄 🎄 🎄

i hope you meant 30 millions Nigerians, my favorite tourists from Burkina Faso already storming Thai Embassy for papers since last Friday

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

30 millions Nigerians

With the 24% flight increase to Thailand this Month, they may be in luck of getting in! Thailand TAT may just put them on the list in front of the Chinese and Indians as preferred tourists 😉

7 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Just go somewhere else.

Don't know where you're from but I'm presuming not the UK, otherwise you'd realise that there's a massive Nigerian community in the UK. 

Taking that one step further, these are people with British passports, or residency in the UK. 

It's not that Nigerians can't visit is the issue, it's the quarantine for returning British passport holders, and people with residency that is the problem. 

Similar to the Thai based UK expats complaining when Thailand was on the UK's redlist, and this entailed them paying  £2k if they wanted to go back. 

Saying just go somewhere else shows real ignorance of the situation. Similar to telling a Brit in the UK to just go to France or Germany instead!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. NCC1701A, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home. 

Dear Dr. NCC1701A,

Having read of your cousin's plight, I have written to my good friend Mr Bezos, and he wants me to fly to the US and meet with him so that we can jointly plan a rescue mission. He has assured that with our joint efforts we can not only have him home for Christmas, but he will be able to fly direct to London once he arrives back on earth without quarantine. Having been in space for all this time, he cannot have possibly have been infected with any variant of Covid-19

Unfortunately, I have been declared an enemy of the people by my government, and they have used this to an excuse to confiscate all my wealth. In addition, I have not been in the best of health recently, so I will require an Air Ambulance, the cost of which is $40000. 

Time being of the essence, I urge you to start a "Go fund me" page to raise these sums and send the funds to my PO Box 6757 in Lagos.

In case you should require evidence of my bona-fides, I have a website which shows all my previous good deeds: https://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

With sincere best wishes,

Ebola Monkey Man

• Haha 6

Hard to shed tears over any block on incoming visitors, when even the president of the country in question has spoken on the record of his dismay about one of his country's major exports to the rest of the world being gangsters and fraudsters. Should have been red-listed years ago when no one had even heard of Covid if UK had a Home Office worth the name.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Don't know where you're from but I'm presuming not the UK, otherwise you'd realise that there's a massive Nigerian community in the UK. 

Taking that one step further, these are people with British passports, or residency in the UK. 

It's not that Nigerians can't visit is the issue, it's the quarantine for returning British passport holders, and people with residency that is the problem. 

Similar to the Thai based UK expats complaining when Thailand was on the UK's redlist, and this entailed them paying  £2k if they wanted to go back. 

Saying just go somewhere else shows real ignorance of the situation. Similar to telling a Brit in the UK to just go to France or Germany instead!

yeah if its returning citizens or residents of course it's a pain. But for Nigerian tourist or someone looking outside of Nigeria for a job, there are other choices to go isn't it?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, palooka said:

They cannot take those suitcases of money just any where you know.

They might also have a stash of cash left in the ceiling of their apartment back in the UK? 😀

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

yeah if its returning citizens or residents of course it's a pain. But for Nigerian tourist or someone looking outside of Nigeria for a job, there are other choices to go isn't it?

Do you really think many Nigerians tourists go to the UK in December?

Of course the majority of people affected by the ban are dual nationals, and residents, not happy about having to pay for £2k quarantine.

That's why they're angry. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Of course the majority of people affected by the ban are dual nationals, and residents, not happy about having to pay for £2k quarantine.

That's why they're angry. 

I am sure the citizens and residents are

5 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

I am sure the citizens and residents are

Indeed. So telling them to just go somewhere else doesn't really work does it......

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Indeed. So telling them to just go somewhere else doesn't really work does it......

1 hour ago, HiuMak said:

yeah if its returning citizens or residents of course it's a pain. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jason said:

slowing the spread of Omicron and the one hand, yes. But directing vaccines to Africa even more important. China was going to send a billion doses....so where are they?

Only some of that was donations the rest had a lot of financial and political attachments (Belt & Road etc) so the Chinese may want the latter sorted first.