News Forum - Tourists stranded an island off the coast of Sattahip rescued by Royal Thai Navy

Thaiger

Six Belgian tourists stranded on an island off the coast of Chon Buri’s Sattahip district were rescued by the Royal Thai Navy on yesterday. According to the navy officials, the tourists took three small boats into the sea on Sunday and got themselves into trouble when one of the boats had a mechanical failure, and a water leak to another boat. Since the remaining boat was too small to carry all six of them to the mainland, they took sanctuary on Koh Khram where they used a radio to ask for aid. The island is a nature reserve and is generally closed […]

The story Tourists stranded an island off the coast of Sattahip rescued by Royal Thai Navy as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Firstly, and without reservation, good on the Thai Navy for the rescue!! I'm a keen boat skipper myself and I wonder how this group managed to charter boats to skipper themselves?? I tried and couldn't as I was told the boat would have to be skippered by Thais as my licence wouldn't be recognised. Two boats out of three couldn't perform? Sounds like maintenance is a problem. Bilge pump not working? (Maybe a flat battery). out of fuel? Who knows!