Ray Kennedy

Dedinbed

Sad news today that ex Arsenal and Liverpool forward/midfielder Ray Kennedy has died aged 70 after a long bout of ill health .. probably better known for his time on Merseyside than North London even though he scored more for AFC than 'Pool where he became a fairly integral part of the team that dominated English football in the late 70's , early 80's before going out to grass at Swansea and Hartlepool .. 

IMG_20211201_111045.jpg

IMG_20211201_111058.jpg

• Like 4

Sad indeed. Its the trouble with growing older , all the famous names, friends you knew and even people whom you only knew off, dying before you, makes you realise how each day becomes more precious. RIP Ray Kennedy.

Speaking as Spurs fan, I recall seeing him at a time when it was not necessary to hate your rivals. A player I very much admired.

I might be a bit hazy on the facts, but I have a recollection of the year he transferred from Arsenal to Pool, the final game of the season was between those two teams and would decide who would be champs. Kennedy had played the mandatory minimum number of matches for both teams for a winners medal. I remember the commentator saying several times something like, "This game will decide the League Championship, but win, lose or draw, Ray Kennedy is the only man on this pitch tonight who knows what colour medal he will be taking home".

He still had plenty to play for because in those days, it was only the Champs who got into the European Cup, and Pool won the match.

• Like 2