Anyone actually got a 90-day Special Tourist Visa?

Chris75

Has anyone actually obtained one of the much-touted 90-day Special Tourist Visas? The official channels don't offer this option (UK and Canada embassies, and thaievisa.go.th). Some agencies say they can facilitate one for a fee. Is there no way to apply directly? Asking for a friend...

Edited by Chris75
Punctuation of headline
  • Like 1

Where would your friend be applying from?

The UK certainly offer the STV although it's not on their website.
The US certainly offer it and I'm sure Canada would as well if you asked.

• Like 1

Applying from Canada. I tried in the UK in October, but the Embassy there said flatly No, that they had no means to offer this regardless of any statements out of Bangkok. The Canadian embassy has also denied all knowledge. And on the websites of both, the STV is not an option.

I guess I'm asking how people have actually acquired one. You say it's available in the UK - how, if not through the online application? They're not taking in-person applications any more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris75 said:

I guess I'm asking how people have actually acquired one. You say it's available in the UK - how, if not through the online application? They're not taking in-person applications any more. 

My email to the Thai Embassy London Oct 1st 2021.

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs announce several days ago to extend the STV scheme until September 2022.
The Thai Embassy website, London, still states the STV is no longer available.
Special Tourist Visa (STV) : for stay up to 90 days with possible extension of 90 days twice)

**STV cannot be extended after 30 September 2021. Please DO NOT apply for STV after 30 June 2021 and applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021 if they wish to extend their stay after 90 days. Application to extend their stay in Thailand must be submitted before 30 September 2021.**

Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction and Requirements for the Phuket Sandbox from 1 October 2021 - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Other Thai Embassies, such as Washington DC, USA are again open to applications for the STV.
Does the Thai Embassy London have plans to offer the STV again, or is it to remain unavailable?
Sincerely,
--------------------------------------------------------------
Their reply:
Thai Embassy London <visa@thaiembassyuk.org.uk>
To:<edited>
Mon, 4 Oct at 21:05
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email.
1)
If you wish to apply for an STV visa  & COE, please follow the steps below.

2)
Please note that all in-person visa services are suspended. Visa services will be provided online only.  .

3)
1) Please visit www.thaievisa.go.th 
2) Sign up for individual   
3) Complete the visa application, submit and make a payment online 
4) From 27 September 2021, you do not need to post your passport and original supporting documents to the embassy. 
5) Instead, your visa will be approved online, and a confirmation e-mail will be sent to your registered email address. 
6) You may print a copy of your visa for airlines and Thai Immigration officials to carry out checks when traveling to Thailand. 

4)
Providing you meet all the eligibility criteria, and uploaded all the required documents in the visa system, the current online visa processing time is approximately 2-3 working days, from the date your visa application is submitted 

Please check online for your visa status. "Finished" & "Issued Visa" means your visa has been granted, and the online email confirmation has been sent to you. 

5)
Once the visa has been approved (or if you have an existing valid visa, or if you wish to go on a visa exemption), you may proceed to apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE). All passengers traveling to Thailand need a COE issued by the Royal Thai Embassy to enter the country. Each passenger has to register and apply individually.  

(Please note for visa exemption, please choose "medium-term stay" and then "visa exemption" on the COE application.) 
6)
Also, prior to your departure, it is necessary for all non-Thai passengers to have the following documents ready to be presented to the immigration upon your arrival. Failure to do so can result in the denial of entering the Kingdom of Thailand. 

1. The Certificate of Entry issued by the Royal Thai Embassy  
3. Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure 
4. Copy of your insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD medical coverage 
5. Copy of your Confirmed booking at an ASQ hotel (if you are arriving in Bangkok), or SHA hotel if you are participating in the Phuket Sandbox.  
6. T.8 form 

I hope this is of assistance, but please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

-----

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris75 said:

Applying from Canada. I tried in the UK in October, but the Embassy there said flatly No, that they had no means to offer this regardless of any statements out of Bangkok. The Canadian embassy has also denied all knowledge.

Canada isn't even showing any kind of Tourist type Visas.
I would contact them.

From the Thai Embassy USA. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/

Special Tourist Visa (STV)

(Special Tourist Visa (STV) will be in effect until 30 September 2022)

The following conditions are for applicants who wish to apply for a Special Tourist Visa (STV)

• STV is valid for a single entry into Thailand for long-term tourism purposes only.
  • STV is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance. Travelers must enter Thailand within the said 3-month period. They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days, counting from the date of entry. STV may be extended twice while the visitor is in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days per each extension.
  • STV cannot be changed to any other type of visa during the duration of stay in Thailand.
  • If the STV holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.

• Like 1

OK this doesn't really move me forwards. I got the same email from the UK embassy as you, but when you follow that link to www.thaievisa.go.th there is no STV option. I did what they said and ended up with a two-month visa.

I'm sorry if my question is confusing, but I'm really trying to find out if anyone has actually gone through a process that actually ended up with them actually holding a 90-day Special Tourist Visa. Can you confirm that you got one of those from following those instructions?

PS calling the Canadian embassy didn't work, the woman who answered the phone barely spoke enough English to understand the question. I know my Thai is embarrassingly bad, but I like to hope it wouldn't be if I worked in a diplomatic mission in Bangkok...

Edited by Chris75
Fixing typo and adding PS.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chris75 said:

Can you confirm that you got one of those from following those instructions?

I've posted that email a couple of times for members wanting the STV.
They rarely come back and post the outcome.

I would definitely email the Thai Embassy Canada then you have it in writing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris75 said:

OK this doesn't really move me forwards. I got the same email from the UK embassy as you, but when you follow that link to www.thaievisa.go.th there is no STV option. I did what they said and ended up with a two-month visa.

I'm sorry if my question is confusing, but I'm really trying to find out if anyone has actually gone through a process that actually ended up with them actually holding a 90-day Special Tourist Visa. Can you confirm that you got one of those from following those instructions?

PS calling the Canadian embassy didn't work, the woman who answered the phone barely spoke enough English to understand the question. I know my Thai is embarrassingly bad, but I like to hope it wouldn't be if I worked in a diplomatic mission in Bangkok...

You have to select "Duration of stay no longer than 90 days" on the eVisa system and it will fill in the STV as the visa at the next step.

Image2.jpg

• Like 2