MH370: Possible location discovered

KaptainRob

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/mh370-probable-location-found-revolutionary-tracking/

ATSB-Geoscience-Australia-Broken-Ridgecr

Revolutionary new tracking technology has enabled a British aerospace engineer to identify a far more precise crash position for MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean.

According to Richard Godfrey MH370 impacted the ocean 1,933km due west of Perth at 33.177°S 95.300°E and lies at a depth of 4,000m in a very mountainous area with deep ravines and a volcano.

The location is in the zone where the University of WA Head of Oceanography Professor Charitha Pattiaratchi claims MH370 is located.

The revelation is expected to provide the impetus for a new search later next year.

Source: https://www.airlineratings.com/news/mh370-probable-location-found-revolutionary-tracking/

• Like 7

Well it would be good if it could be determined as the true site  but even better if it were posssible that any wreckage could eventually be retrieved, or even human remains to put at at least a finality to the relatives of those who died.

12 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well it would be good if it could be determined as the true site  but even better if it were posssible that any wreckage could eventually be retrieved, or even human remains to put at at least a finality to the relatives of those who died.

If an initial survey physically confirms the location then a full recovery operation may happen.   The extreme depth would have crushed anything organic and the corresponding cold temps might have preserved any bodies trapped in the wreckage.

After all this time I'd suggest it may be better to simply establish the site's location and leave it as a 'protected' marine graveyard.

• Like 6

kool thanks for that. 

google maps for the new location:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33°10'37.2"S+95°18'00.0"E/@1.0075141,67.5265618,3z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x64b3c40dbd7c20b4!8m2!3d-33.177!4d95.3

from the article:

The tracking done by Mr Godfrey appears to confirm that the aircraft was being controlled by the pilot 53-year-old Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah.

“It is very clear to me this was very well planned but clearly there was lots going through the captain’s mind with a series of changes.

“There was a holding pattern south of Indonesia, then the aircraft headed for Geraldton in WA, then changed course to the end point from his flight simulator program.”

The tracking shows that Captain Zaharie was preparing for a water ditching but ran out of fuel forcing him to dive the 777 into the ocean, suggests Mr. Godfrey.

“The descent speed went from 4,500ft (1,370m) a minute to 15,000ft (4,572m) a minute in the space of eight seconds.

• Thanks 1

Just confirm the location this way family can move on, body recovery after all this time doesn't provide extra closure.

4000m deep is also VERY expensive to recover from, so I guess people would go for the "marine graveyard".

• Like 2

I hope it is the site but why was there a lack of debris found after a sea impact and pressure crushing . wouldn't somethings have been found at some point in the searches ? I don't know I'm just asking ?

1 minute ago, Shark said:

Just confirm the location this way family can move on, body recovery after all this time doesn't provide extra closure.

4000m deep is also VERY expensive to recover from, so I guess people would go for the "marine graveyard".

I get the feeling someone would have to collect at least the flight recorder just to once and for all establish the cause of events and shut down or confirm all the theories that were put out at the time. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

I get the feeling someone would have to collect at least the flight recorder just to once and for all establish the cause of events and shut down or confirm all the theories that were put out at the time. 

again 4000m then is VERY expensive, a robot to that depth is already very expensive, now a special robot which can also 'grab' stuff will be even more expensive. There's also a risk that the flight recorder might be damaged for good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

I hope it is the site but why was there a lack of debris found after a sea impact and pressure crushing . wouldn't somethings have been found at some point in the searches ? I don't know I'm just asking ?

There was. A flaperon was found at a Reunion beach in 2015, presumed to have broken off the wing at impact and then drifted quickly west across the Indian Ocean on the current. The crash location suggested today looks to be pretty close to the arcs indicated from the Inmarsat "handshake" data plotted and used for the search a few years ago. Attached story below:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26503141  

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Fester said:

There was. A flaperon was found at a Reunion beach in 2015, presumed to have broken off the wing at impact and then drifted quickly west across the Indian Ocean on the current. The crash location suggested today looks to be pretty close to the arcs indicated from the Inmarsat "handshake" data plotted and used for the search a few years ago. Attached story below:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26503141  

Thanks Fester.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

After all this time I'd suggest it may be better to simply establish the site's location and leave it as a 'protected' marine graveyard.

I agree, unless of course they can establish the cause of the crash. However, I think that is almost impossible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

If an initial survey physically confirms the location then a full recovery operation may happen.   The extreme depth would have crushed anything organic and the corresponding cold temps might have preserved any bodies trapped in the wreckage.

An ROV is very expensive and deep seas research has revealed an entire eco system where the marine life consume dead organic matter that sinks down to the sea floor. As to how much silt was deposited can also hamper investigation.

The practical nature of a full investigation is highly unjustified. Very few submarines exist that can perform the required duties.

As you said skipper...best leave the site as a "protected" marine memorial.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

An ROV is very expensive and deep seas research has revealed an entire eco system where the marine life consume dead organic matter that sinks down to the sea floor. As to how much silt was deposited can also hamper investigation.

The practical nature of a full investigation is highly unjustified. Very few submarines exist that can perform the required duties.

There are ROV's capable of up 5000m dives and I'm sure a full u/w survey will be done if at all possible.  Despite the technical difficulties involved they could theoretically recover the data or voice recorder although it would take a huge amount of luck to actually find either by video inspection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazmo16 said:

The flight recorder is unlikely to give the cause of the crash. It only tells you what the plane was doing at that time.

Reading what I've seen here today I am not sure that running out of fuel explains it. I've seen docs about crash investigations, and recall in one case where a 747 lost all it's engines, hearing that the glide capability of that plane had a 10% decline. To explain that, the plane say at 30k feet, would have been able to glide 300k ft (55 miles) before "running out of sky". In the case I mention. they were able to restart the engines with a couple of minutes to spare. Seeing how quickly the plane accelerated downwards, that suggests to me, that either something catastrophic occurred to deny them that glide option, or the plane was deliberately crashed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

There are ROV's capable of up 5000m dives and I'm sure a full u/w survey will be done if at all possible.  Despite the technical difficulties involved they could theoretically recover the data or voice recorder although it would take a huge amount of luck to actually find either by video inspection.

Should the black box be recovered this could be a vital clue but I think good fortune will definitely come into play.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Should the black box be recovered this could be a vital clue but I think good fortune will definitely come into play.

I have no proven basis for this but just wonder if Boeing  and  Malaysian airlines would really want the "black" boxes recovered for evidence of what it may or may not produce ?  Just a thought.

1 minute ago, gummy said:

I have no proven basis for this but just wonder if Boeing  and  Malaysian airlines would really want the "black" boxes recovered for evidence of what it may or may not produce ?  Just a thought.

Also relevant. Would revealed information be damaging to either or both....possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

kool thanks for that. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33°10'37.2"S+95°18'00.0"E/@1.0075141,67.5265618,3z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x64b3c40dbd7c20b4!8m2!3d-33.177!4d95.3

from the article:

The tracking done by Mr Godfrey appears to confirm that the aircraft was being controlled by the pilot 53-year-old Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah.

“It is very clear to me this was very well planned but clearly there was lots going through the captain’s mind with a series of changes.

“There was a holding pattern south of Indonesia, then the aircraft headed for Geraldton in WA, then changed course to the end point from his flight simulator program.”

The tracking shows that Captain Zaharie was preparing for a water ditching but ran out of fuel forcing him to dive the 777 into the ocean, suggests Mr. Godfrey.

“The descent speed went from 4,500ft (1,370m) a minute to 15,000ft (4,572m) a minute in the space of eight seconds.

This brings a lot of new questions now and it would be interesting what he had loaded in this plane to had this pattern of course changings. It seams sombody knew what was in this plane and he realized they are hunting the plane. To find that out they have get wrack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Boeing yes. Malaysian airlines and Malaysian government no. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Boeing yes. Malaysian airlines and Malaysian government no. 

Biggin' up Boeing?

Do you have a death wish?  How is the 787 doing?  Or the 737 Max?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Changnam43 said:

Biggin' up Boeing?

Do you have a death wish?  How is the 787 doing?  Or the 737 Max?

the pilot is at fault. 

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

kool thanks for that. 

from the article:

At that speed the impact would have been huge ......... possibly the reason no significantly sized pieces of wreckage has ever been found.  For the sake of the families it would be nice to have 'closure'.  But I also suspect what was going through the mind of the pilot will never truly be known.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MARCO said:

At that speed the impact would have been huge ......... possibly the reason no significantly sized pieces of wreckage has ever been found.  For the sake of the families it would be nice to have 'closure'.  But I also suspect what was going through the mind of the pilot will never truly be known.

You are correct, the speed must have severed wings and empenage upon impact and as evidenced by all 30+ pieces of wreckage, many smaller components were broken off.  Normally, once an airplane loses the nominal airspeed required to remain in flight, or glide, it may simply roll over which would have caused the fuselage to break up.  Due to the fact no soft furnishings, baggage or bodies were ever recovered, I believe the captain purposely flew the plane into the sea nose first.  The fuselage could therefore be largely intact, crushed and perhaps broken in 2 halves.

• Cool 1

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the pilot is at fault. 

I thought the 737 Max had an issue that caused it to dive and a lack of pilot training around the issue meant they didn't know the procedure to correct.

Boing had failed to pass on all information until the investigation.

• Thanks 1