Emirates insurance for R/T ticket w/secondary cheap flight ticket

I've got a question about Emirates travel/covid insurance, since I have to purchase my Emirates flight ticket in the next few days before they no longer offer it.

Suppose I book a roundtrip flight to Thailand with Emirates and choose a return date 1 year later (365 days), to get the most of their included insurance. Since I will be entering Thailand with either 30 days VE, 60 days TV(SE) or STV, I realize I need a flight out of Thailand to match my allowed stay. Once I decide which Visa I will enter Thailand with, then I purchase a different one way ticket from Thailand to Singapore or KL with AirAsia for $50USD for the date that matches the length of my allowed entry stay into Thailand. The one way ticket will either be cancelled for a flight credit or changed to a future date once I arrive in Thailand.

The reason being that if I only book a 30 or 60 day return flight with Emirates and want to extend it, the flight can be extended, but the insurance states it can't be extended unless there are unforeseen circumstances, and even then it's only for 30 days. However, if I have a one year return ticket, I'll have one year of insurance and I can shorten the return flight to match my actual return once I exhaust any Visa extensions I might get while in Thailand.

I wonder if Emirates will have an issue when I arrive at the airport to fly to Thailand and they see I am Visa Exempt or only have a 60 day Tourist Visa and see that my return flight is one year later, but then I provide them with a one way ticket from AirAsia to Singapore for 30 days from now. Are they going to be OK with that?

The other possible issue is if I do decide to request the 60 day TV(SE) or 90 day STV, will the Thai embassy be OK with me providing them with these two different flight tickets as evidence of me entering and departing Thailand within my allowable length of stay?

Let me know what you think. My reason for doing this is that I don't know which method of entry I'll end up going with and if I'll be requesting a 30 day extension or possibly more with the STV, so I want to have the Emirates insurance for as long as I can if it's free.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vft said:

Suppose I book a roundtrip flight to Thailand with Emirates and choose a return date 1 year later (365 days), to get the most of their included insurance. Since I will be entering Thailand with either 30 days VE, 60 days TV(SE) or STV, I realize I need a flight out of Thailand to match my allowed stay. Once I decide which Visa I will enter Thailand with, then I purchase a different one way ticket from Thailand to Singapore or KL with AirAsia for $50USD for the date that matches the length of my allowed entry stay into Thailand. The one way ticket will either be cancelled for a flight credit or changed to a future date once I arrive in Thailand.

The issue you have is that neither VE, TV, or STV permits you to stay for 1 year.
If your applying for a Visa, conditions are quite often that you need to provide a 'return' ticket, not a 'ticket' out of Thailand. 

An STV will permit you a stay of up to 9 months and booked through Emirates within the next couple of days will provide you with cover until your return flight date. The mandatory 400/40K Health Insurance applies to STV applications.

Requirement can vary between Thai Consulates/Embassies, so it would help if you stated where you'd apply for a Visa. Entering VE, you'd need a ticket out within 30 days.

• Like 1

I didn't realize that the country that issues the Visa wants the roundtrip flight ticket to be for a return to that same country. I only thought they wanted to make sure I have a ticket of onward travel out of Thailand. That is very good to know, as I'm not sure where I'll be going next after Thailand, so I'll have to think about it more.

I will be applying from either Europe or the US. I was told by the Thai consulate in Lisbon, Portugal that I can apply for a Thai Visa there, but only in person by appointment. They also stated that since I am a US citizen, I can apply through the US using the e-visa system from abroad, but I haven't confirmed that with the US yet.

The STV is turning out to be a lot more work and cost than I expected, so I may narrow it down to entering VE or with a TV, which is either a total of 60 days or 90 days, including the extensions. I need to decide if the extra 30 days for the visa is worth the extra effort or not. I hope one day they copy Malaysia, with a 90 day visa free entry.

Thank you for the quick reply and helpful information!

• Like 1