Thailand Pass - Expat needs to travel to the uk

MrKeithy

Hi everyone

I need a little bit of advice, my Dad has had a heart attack and I would like to travel to the UK to see him. I live in Chonburi and have been fully vaccinated in Thailand. I have private health care with Atena through a Thai broker. My insurance covers me for around 1 million baht which is not the $50,000 requirement. I am on a non O visa (Thai wife). I really don't know what to do here. Do I need to get a different insurance policy, or temp insurance. There seems to be very little info for someone like me. The last thing I want to do is travel and get stuck in the UK as this will just stress my old man out and thats the last thing I want to do and I don't want to be apart from my family for that long. Tried phoning the hotline, only one of the numbers seems to answer and I was on hold for over an hour both times  I tired, then get cut off. I saw Mike (Good Morning Thailand) said he bought coverage for 3 days and that got him through, but not sure if they now watching for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Edited by MrKeithy

3 minutes ago, MrKeithy said:

Its a 1 year extension based on Thai wife 

Thanks.

What date is it due for renewal?
You need a single re-entry permit to re-enter Thailand and protect your current permission of stay. (1,000 BHT)

• Like 1

MrKeithy I have no idea about the questions you pose but I wanted to say I hope your father gets well soon and also to bump this thread up the popular now chart so your answers will be forthcoming. 

Good luck mate.

• Thanks 1

@Faz

Its the end of may 2022. I had forgotten about the permit, thats done at the airport as I fly out right? The bit I am really not sure about is this health insurance thing on the Thailand Pass.

@Rookiescot

Thanks very much, very much appreciated. Still early days for my dad, they tried a stent but it failed, I think bypass is next.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrKeithy said:

Its the end of may 2022. I had forgotten about the permit, thats done at the airport as I fly out right? The bit I am really not sure about is this health insurance thing on the Thailand Pass.

save yourself 900B and go to your local immigration. it's considered a re-entry stamp like @Fazsaid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrKeithy said:

@SharkThanks good tip. I still have to apply for the Thailand pass right?

You're welcome, it's just more expensive in the Airport.

This is best to do when your in UK, since rules can change daily... also in regards to insurance.

Protip in regards to insurance might even be getting a return ticket from Emirates LON <-> BKK for example as this includes the "COVID insurance" - The return can be for a period of 1 year for example.

29 minutes ago, MrKeithy said:

The required Medical Insurance must cover the period of stay granted on entry to Thailand, hence I asked the extension renewal date. Therefore for the TP application you will need to provide a Medical Insurance policy coverage of £50,000 USD, for accident, medical treatment INC Covid 19, from the date of re-entry until the expiry date of your current extension.

If you spent Xmas, New year in the UK returning Jan, it would have to provide cover until the end of  May.

You can purchase the re-entry permit either from your local Immigration office or at Suvarnabhumi airport.

8 minutes ago, Shark said:

Protip in regards to insurance might even be getting a return ticket from Emirates LON <-> BKK for example as this includes the "COVID insurance" - The return can be for a period of 1 year for example.

Not applicable. He'd be booking  BKK - UK return.
The offer ends Nov 30th anyway.

13 minutes ago, Shark said:

save yourself 900B and go to your local immigration. it's considered a re-entry stamp like @Fazsaid.

What 900 BHT?

It's 1,000 BHT from an Immigration office, the airport charge an extra 200 BHT.

• Like 1

Hi Guys thanks for all the replies

@Faz so the only way round this is to buy full coverage? I saw Mike said he bought 3 days worth, I assume thats now not an option? I did finally ge through to the Thailand Pass hotline just now, he said oh you can buy a month, but did not sound too sure. 

Edited by MrKeithy
  • Like 1

Mike only had 3 days permission of stay remaining on his return.
30 day Insurance is if your entering Visa exempt - that's an option I'll come to!

You will be travelling to and arriving in UK.
Fully vaccinated these are the requirements for UK entry.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19#if-you-are-fully-vaccinated
You'll require your Thai vaccination certificate with the QR code as proof of vaccination.

Depending on the how you enter Thailand, VE, TV, Non O Visa or extension of stay, the Medical Insurance must cover the period of stay you'll be stamped in for on entry.
In your case, if you purchase a re-entry permit, on return you'll be stamped in until the current expiry date of your current extension.

If you depart Thailand without a re-entry permit your current permission of stay is immediately cancelled on exit. You could then return Visa exempt and would only require Health Insurance for the 30 days granted on entry - however you would then need to apply for a Non O at Immigration before you could apply for a further 1 year extension of stay.

30 minutes ago, Faz said:

What 900 BHT?

It's 1,000 BHT from an Immigration office, the airport charge an extra 200 BHT.

I don't know when you last tried this... but airport now charges 900 BHT. Covid surplus perhaps. I don't know.

16 minutes ago, Shark said:

I don't know when you last tried this... but airport now charges 900 BHT. Covid surplus perhaps. I don't know.

It is still 1,000 BHT + 200 BHT service fee for a single re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi airport.
Did you perhaps buy the multiple re-entry permit?

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

It is still 1,000 BHT + 200 BHT service fee for a single re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi airport.
Did you perhaps buy the multiple re-entry permit?

No and it wasn't me.

Anyways; Useless discussion there's a higher service fee at the airport this was the point. The 200B get's you 4 lovely Chang Beers so that equals 2L of beer.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

The required Medical Insurance must cover the period of stay granted on entry to Thailand, hence I asked the extension renewal date. Therefore for the TP application you will need to provide a Medical Insurance policy coverage of £50,000 USD, for accident, medical treatment INC Covid 19, from the date of re-entry until the expiry date of your current extension.

If you spent Xmas, New year in the UK returning Jan, it would have to provide cover until the end of  May.

You can purchase the re-entry permit either from your local Immigration office or at Suvarnabhumi airport.

"If you spent Xmas, New year in the UK returning Jan, it would have to provide cover until the end of  May." - Personally, I think that this sounds unreasonable and I doubt that people would be strict about it. Worst case scenario, I suggest OP to prepare a flight booking showing that he will fly out from Thailand again in 2 weeks or so. He could get it from travel agencies in Thailand for 500 baht and this would surely save him thousands of baht in insurance fees?

55 minutes ago, DrH said:

I suggest OP to prepare a flight booking showing that he will fly out from Thailand again in 2 weeks or so.

Uploading an extension valid until May, with a ticket out in 2 weeks after entry - I wouldn't like to guarantee that would work for TP approval.

• 1 month later...

@MrKeithy How did you get on in terms of the insurance? I'm in the same boat - lived here since 2007 - leaving at the end of this month, coming back on 1st March. I already have Thai insurance, but under 50,000USD, and my visa (Non-O) expires 29 April.

So is what @Faz the way to go? Get enough insurance to cover until the visa expires, then go back to your normal policy?

btw, I hope your dad's okay now. Will be seeing mine for the first time in 4 years :)

1 hour ago, Thellie said:

How did you get on in terms of the insurance? I'm in the same boat - lived here since 2007 - leaving at the end of this month, coming back on 1st March. I already have Thai insurance, but under 50,000USD, and my visa (Non-O) expires 29 April.

So is what @Faz the way to go? Get enough insurance to cover until the visa expires, then go back to your normal policy?

Hi Thellie, if you've been here since 2007 you almost certainly have an extension of stay, a permit, not a Visa.
Remember to purchase a re-entry permit.

If your re-entering March first you'll require the Medical Insurance policy including Covid to cover costs of $50,000 USD. The period of Insurance in your case will be until your current permission of stay expires on April 29th.

• Like 1