News Forum - Thailand’s climate pledges slammed as “critically insufficient”

Thaiger

Climate research group Climate Action Tracker says Thailand’s pledges at the recent COP26 summit in Glasgow, Scotland are “critically insufficient”. A report issued by the group has slammed the targets that were agreed, saying Thailand, like most other countries, has not improved on its goals in any way that will make enough of a difference. The report says Thailand needs to do more, pointing out that the pledges made will not do enough to stop global temperatures rising beyond the critical threshold of 1. 5º Celsius, as stipulated in the Paris Agreement. According to a Bangkok Post report, Thai environmentalists […]

The story Thailand’s climate pledges slammed as “critically insufficient” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The CAT report also criticises the government’s plan to switch to natural gas to reduce the country’s dependence on coal. The group says doing this simply delays any move to clean energy and further undermines efforts to decarbonise."

This doesn't make sense, but this is not an area of much expertise for me.

Why wouldn't Thailand go all in to Solar Power? There is a HUGE amount of sunshine here, it is renewable, I believe that it'll pay for itself in time, it'd allow Thailand to become both an Asian Leader and Hub (yes, I know, but they like the word...) and it'd enhance Thailand's global standing (which could use a nudge or two).

Is there a knowledgeable member who can explain why Thailand doesn't choose this path? There must be, from the current government's perspective, a reason to not do this.

Please explain.

33 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"The CAT report also criticises the government’s plan to switch to natural gas to reduce the country’s dependence on coal. The group says doing this simply delays any move to clean energy and further undermines efforts to decarbonise."

Why wouldn't Thailand go all in to Solar Power? There is a HUGE amount of sunshine here, it is renewable, I believe that it'll pay for itself in time, it'd allow Thailand to become both an Asian Leader and Hub (yes, I know, but they like the word...) and it'd enhance Thailand's global standing (which could use a nudge or two).

Is there a knowledgeable member who can explain why Thailand doesn't choose this path? There must be, from the current government's perspective, a reason to not do this.

Please explain.

While embracing solar in Thailand seems obvious, the backward Thai officials cannot make enough money from this. They continue instead to embrace being a third world country with all of its corruption and such. Plus the military junta is just not that smart at long-term planning or short-term emergencies for that matter. 
I’m not knowledgeable, but say what I’ve experienced here, that’s all. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Please explain.

I am by no means an expert in solar power but I did explore the feasibility of a domestic solar power system in Thailand.  Right now that really needs to be a grid tie system.  There were simply too many obstacles put in the way of achieving that objective.  I believe the reason for the obstacles is that there are many people who have a vested interest in preserving the status quo; not least the MEA and PEA.

You can do an off grid domestic solar installation without permits required but in Thailand that does not make financial sense as you would need a bank of batteries.  In Thailand the only practical battery option now is lead acid batteries and they require periodic replacement at significant cost and they are hardly green.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MikeW said:

They are all ready burning the fields where I live. The Thai government can't even get that under control 

Yah, we got periodic small burn off here too. Can smell it in the morning but not everyday. I figure by the end of December it should be well on its way here in the CM area. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:42 AM, Thaiger said:

Climate research group Climate Action Tracker says Thailand’s pledges at the recent COP26 summit in Glasgow, Scotland are “critically insufficient”. A report issued by the group has slammed the targets that were agreed, saying Thailand, like most other countries, has not improved on its goals in any way that will make enough of a difference. The report says Thailand needs to do more, pointing out that the pledges made will not do enough to stop global temperatures rising beyond the critical threshold of 1. 5º Celsius, as stipulated in the Paris Agreement. According to a Bangkok Post report, Thai environmentalists […]

The story Thailand’s climate pledges slammed as “critically insufficient” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So the Thai government didn't grease the palms of these climate fools enough.