Entry at Bangkok Airport

Soloman

I came through yesterday morning flying in from Helsinki.  Contrary to expectations, the process was amazingly fast and efficient.  The first checkpoint is Health Screening where you are asked to show your passport, boarding pass, Thailand Pass and Health Insurance.  They can de printed or digital.  There are marshalls and helpers everywhere.  Just follow their instructions.  Once you clear Health, you are directed through Immigration.  They have many officers on duty and the queue is never more than three deep when i came through. Then collect your bags and walk through Customs.  At the arrival hall, look out for greeters from your hotel and if you can’t find anyone, go to the desk on your left side where there are guys and gals who represent the smaller budget hotels.  Its clear that the smaller lesser known hotels have teamed up for the budget travellers.  Then its a short wait and u are whisked to the hospital near your hotel where a team of PCR testers are set up for a drive by testing.  This took no more than 5 mins.  The last was getting dropped at your hotel.  I belong to the budget group for Khao San and we were all dropped off at the Royal Hotel regardless of which cheapie u are booked in.  I found out later that this is a 1500B hotel so technically I scored! But at that time i was a little affronted.  Heartiest congrats to all the Govt Agencies, hotels, hospitals, airport staff etc for the wonderful welcome to Thailand.  Ed

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Soloman said:

Then its a short wait and u are whisked to the hospital near your hotel where a team of PCR testers are set up for a drive by testing.

It would benefit other members if you could describe how you pre booked and paid for the PCR test on arrival.

Hope you dont test positive and get locked away for a while.  And maybe best to avoid Khao San road if your certificate is over 6 months old, as they have decided to test all foreigners  entering (100 Baht) and if you test positive there is an ambulance to take you away (good insurance?).  Are you returning to a country that requires a PCR test minimum of 72 hours prior to flight - if so then try to negotiate a price for that test now as some places are charging 3000-5000 baht for them.  Good luck - hope it all goes well. 

17 minutes ago, Faz said:

It would benefit other members if you could describe how you pre booked and paid for the PCR test on arrival.

Isn't this included in the Hotel booking?

It is a condition of entry that u prebook a package from a accredited SHA Plus hotel.  U need to contact the hotel to ask for a quote before arriving and pay for it.  The cheapest I got was through Khao San Art hotel for 3990B inc one night at hotel and an antigen kit for Day 6.  I booked a SHA Plus hotel through Bookings.com but that’s not enough.  U must have a proof of purchasing a Package that inc the hotel collecting u from the airport , getting the PCR test along the way and being quarantined in your room until the results come through.  I had mine done late morning and got the results at 5pm. The beer never tasted better! 

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Isn't this included in the Hotel booking?

Not always.
Some members have asked how to book on the 1 night stay.
The hotels didn't give them any advice or information.

• Like 1

Not all SHA Plus hotels offer packages.  By booking with them and failing to show proof that you have bought a package technically will cause your Travel Pass application to fail.  Without evidence that you have paid for a package and even if u are lucky or unlucky enough to arrive in Thailand without one is likely to get u stuck at the airport for a loooong time.  Don’t  say u have not been warned. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Hope you dont test positive and get locked away for a while.  And maybe best to avoid Khao San road if your certificate is over 6 months old, as they have decided to test all foreigners  entering (100 Baht) and if you test positive there is an ambulance to take you away (good insurance?).  Are you returning to a country that requires a PCR test minimum of 72 hours prior to flight - if so then try to negotiate a price for that test now as some places are charging 3000-5000 baht for them.  Good luck - hope it all goes well. 

Thank you Captain Positive!🦸‍♂️ 😉

• Haha 1

I was at Khao San last night just to see for myself how badly this pandemic has hit this infamous area.  They have set up checkpoints on either end and barricaded the side streets. I was asked to have my temperature tested and then i showed them my QR code on Mochana. I was then stamped just like u would going into a night club.  Lots of Police around and very few tourists at 7pm.  Place looks sad and dead

• Like 1