News Forum - Government considers easing entry rules, antigen testing may replace PCR test

Thaiger

In anticipation of more international arrivals in the coming months, the Thai government is reviewing current entry requirements. According to a Bangkok Post report, officials may replace the PCR test with antigen test kits and rules could be relaxed for people unfortunate enough to have sat near an infected passenger during their flight. Any amendment of the current rules would need approval from the national communicable disease control committee and the CCSA. The PM will chair a CCSA meeting later today. Yuthasak Supasorn from the Tourism Authority of Thailand says the time it takes to get results from PCR testing […]

The story Government considers easing entry rules, antigen testing may replace PCR test as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

In anticipation of more international arrivals

The initial target was 10K tourists arrival a day, currently we are at 3K a day, what is the new target ??

Do we have info on what is happening to the passengers that have been in the plane where positive cases were discovered ?

It was inevitable that the rules were going to change as they were not reasonable, but I am surprised that it is happening so quickly.

Something tells me that a super-rich hotel owner or two talked to a soon-to-be-retiring-General or two and pointed out that their future employment contract was contingent on the company returning to profitability.

Poof! Requirements eased...

This approach should ideally be modified. Antigen testing, while quick and simple, will not accurately detect early cases - i.e., when a person is in the early stages of infection (as there is not enough virus load in the nose and mouth to make the antigen testing affective). Only full vaccinated travelers should be given antigen test. As for unvaccinated travelers, PCR testing on arrival should continue to be the norm. Also, there are slew of antigen testing kits (from various manufacturers) available for purchase, and not all are created equal.

On January 1st the CDC is recommending that RT PCR tests not be used as they can not distinguish between Covid and the standard flu.

Which could be a reason why there was "no flu season" last year.

Testing has not done anything to stop the spread of Covid. If a person tests positive, the damage has already been done as far as possible collateral infection. 

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

• Like 1

This should nicely help things get up to full a outbreak just in time for the dull all bars and clubs closed holidays and the spectacular New Years opera gala planned, with all the while several millions of Moderna doses from Poland are denied to Thamasat U and nothing else has been mentioned about and additional 1 million donated by the US. Hard to see why folk are skeptical and negative of many things at hand out of their control. 

Totally agree with the proposed changes.  All I need to go to Spain is an antigen test. Would increase the number of vaccinated tourists going to Thailand. 

Expected just as the low numbers were expect too. The only question was which would prevail going into December. Next up is relaxing restrictions on nightlife. The only question again will be to what degree. Thailand has already made the decision to open in an attempt to generate desperately needed revenue. Hopefully the risk doesn’t outweigh the reward. 

there was a case during rumoured that one person was detected covid 19 in thailand but aymptomatic,when family negative,hospital bill came to 350,000bhat.other person in contact proved negative went to asq for 14 days so addional expence from travellers pocket.this is really gamble risk,if ur lucky u will escape,if not whole money goes to waste.people who plan to do survive and save money to enjoy the holiday in thailand and gets messed up in this situation.they will to have stay shorter period and what money they have they to buy plane ticket to go back.i hope this rule eases a little during the cssa meeting.

1 hour ago, Jijo said:

there was a case during rumoured that one person was detected covid 19 in thailand but aymptomatic,when family negative,hospital bill came to 350,000bhat.other person in contact proved negative went to asq for 14 days so addional expence from travellers pocket.this is really gamble risk,if ur lucky u will escape,if not whole money goes to waste.people who plan to do survive and save money to enjoy the holiday in thailand and gets messed up in this situation.they will to have stay shorter period and what money they have they to buy plane ticket to go back.i hope this rule eases a little during the cssa meeting.

I know what you talking about, this is a "family of 4", the husband was asymptomatic & they sent him to a hospital for 14 days instead of SHA/ASQ with a bill of B350K. I am sure that the family got scammed & this is freakin insane. It's really a big gamble if you want to get scam.

• Like 1

Anutin must have read my comment on here yesterday. I suggested rapid antigen on arrival. Let's see if he picks up on my other suggestion. If a rapid antigen test is positive, check it with a PCR test. If negative, ok. If positive...ASQ here you come!

I am reminded of a comment by columnist George Will when he was asked if the government would employ a strategy for tackling a particular problem.

He said I have no doubt.  The government is staffed with the best and brightest minds.  They will assemble all the leading experts in the world who will provide boundless amounts of research.  They will consult with those experts on the best possible way to address the problem carefully weighing out the pro's and cons of each.  After exhaustive research they will employ the best and most reasonable course of action to tackle the problem.  That is after they have tried each conceivable alternative course of action first. 

The same is here.  Thailand will eventually employ an effective and reasonable strategy but not until they have tried every other conceivable lamebrained group of protocols first. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Slightly off topic - what happens if you test positive on your way out (required for boarding your flight to home country).  This is more scary.  You have just finished your 3/4 week vaction and denied to board your exit flight.  Any actual experiences?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Anutin must have read my comment on here yesterday. I suggested rapid antigen on arrival. Let's see if he picks up on my other suggestion. If a rapid antigen test is positive, check it with a PCR test. If negative, ok. If positive...ASQ here you come!

If you are confident he reads your posts, how about suggesting he ditches all testing, quarantine, form filling and revert to previous simple system for the vaccinated. They ain't going to die and are visiting a country that will likely give them covid not the other way round. 

As it is, 98%+ of all positives don't get very ill.

This review is not because they are worried they won't cope with increased numbers, its because they NEED increased numbers and have just realised the masses won't go through all the procedures and risk being imprisoned for 14 days because they were sitting near someone who is asymptomatic and their compulsory $50k insurance WON'T PAY non medical and quarantine expenses. 

2 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

If you are confident he reads your posts, how about suggesting he ditches all testing, quarantine, form filling and revert to previous simple system for the vaccinated. They ain't going to die and are visiting a country that will likely give them covid not the other way round. 

As it is, 98%+ of all positives don't get very ill.

Read my last comment 🤣🤣🤣🤣

"Despite the high specificity of antigen tests, false positive results will occur, especially when used in communities where the prevalence of infection is low – a circumstance that is true for all in vitro diagnostic tests."

A plane full of vaccinated people with negative PCR tests prior to departure certainly sounds like a "community where the prevalence of infection" would be low.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antigen-tests-guidelines.html#:~:text=Despite the high specificity of,in vitro diagnostic tests.