Aston Villa

Dedinbed

Just confirmed that ex Liverpool fave and now ex Rangers manager Steve Gerrard is the new boss at the Villa .. as Pink Floyd once sang " welcome my son to the machine " .. 

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Just confirmed that ex Liverpool fave and now ex Rangers manager Steve Gerrard is the new boss at the Villa .. as Pink Floyd once sang " welcome my son to the machine " .. 

and at the Ibrox in three months they’ll be singing “Wish you were here”.

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

SG has a ton of guts, that's for sure, knowing that the eyes of the footie world will be looking to see if he can repeat his Rangers rebuild . . . a brave man.

• Cool 1

2 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

SG has a ton of guts, that's for sure, knowing that the eyes of the footie world will be looking to see if he can repeat his Rangers rebuild . . . a brave man.

I’m not a Liverpool fan but Stevie G… what a player and now, what a manager!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

and at the Ibrox in three months they’ll be singing “Wish you were here”.

One of my most favourite albums and, it seems like @Dedinbed, 'Welcome to the Machine' was my top track . . . still listen to it 🤗 !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

One of my most favourite albums and, it seems like @Dedinbed, 'Welcome to the Machine' was my top track . . . still listen to it 🤗 !

I’m more of a “Shine on you Crazy Diamond” fan myself, but what a great album, no filler, every track a classic. “Have a Cigar” another pearler. Stevie G might even be having a cigar now as he compares his Rangers and Villa wages. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I’m more of a “Shine on you Crazy Diamond” fan myself, but what a great album, no filler, every track a classic. “Have a Cigar” another pearler. Stevie G might even be having a cigar now as he compares his Rangers and Villa wages. 

Playing 'Shine on . . . . ', now and that guitar. at 2 mins in . . . what a sound 👍!  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

35 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Of the many hours of watching SG at his best, his red card against Utd, shortly before leaving The Reds, will always - quite sadly I have to say - stick in my mind. Do you recall the incident? Here's a great account, plus videos, of this epic encounter . . .

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/a-forensic-analysis-of-steven-gerrards-38-second-red-card-vs-man-utd/

An event that fans will always wax hot and/or cold about!

• Cool 1

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Of the many hours of watching SG at his best, his red card against Utd, shortly before leaving The Reds, will always - quite sadly I have to say - stick in my mind. Do you recall the incident? Here's a great account, plus videos, of this epic encounter . . .

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/a-forensic-analysis-of-steven-gerrards-38-second-red-card-vs-man-utd/

An event that fans will always wax hot and/or cold about!

The thing I unfortunately remember is the “slip” against Chelsea in 2014, allowing Demba Ba through on goal. Whether it cost Liverpool the title is debatable,  but that’s what sticks in my mind.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I think it's too early to tell about his managerial abilities. If you get the Rangers (or Celtic) job, you really only need to finish ahead of one team and you are generally well funded.

Regardless, I'd say that if he makes top 8, he will have done a good job. 

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I think it's too early to tell about his managerial abilities. If you get the Rangers (or Celtic) job, you really only need to finish ahead of one team and you are generally well funded.

Regardless, I'd say that if he makes top 8, he will have done a good job. 

Fair enough John, he’s still a bit green, but has certainly exceeded expectations so far. Will be interesting to see how he fares at Villa.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

14 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

The thing I unfortunately remember is the “slip” against Chelsea in 2014, allowing Demba Ba through on goal. Whether it cost Liverpool the title is debatable,  but that’s what sticks in my mind.

Yes, that's the only other black mark I remember him getting and his emotional pain, after that game, was wrecking.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigHewer said:

what a great album, no filler, every track a classic.

5 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Epic album .. one of the and their best of the 70's .. Gilmour's guitar on Shine on you Crazy Diamond is both wonderfully emotive and sorrowful .. they are up there with the Beatles and Stones as creative genius's of the Brit' music scene .. 

Gerrard and Villa are taking a gamble with this appointment .. S G has mastered the Scottish Prem' with Rangers, but and with due respect to the SPL it is at best Championship standard alongside the Prem' as numerous managers who have walked into the Prem' furnace have found out .. his brief is to kick on and try and develop them into a top 6 side .. but that won't be easy with the top end of the table being almost a league within a league now and attaining the goal is gonna need elbowing a London , Merseyside or Mancland club outta the way .. the scrutiny also in the Prem' when your team gets beat let alone shredded by the big boy's is incessant and far more uncompromising than the SPL .. ask Ole .. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

his brief is to kick on and try and develop them into a top 6 side .. but that won't be easy with the top end of the table being almost a league within a league now and attaining the goal is gonna need elbowing a London , Merseyside or Mancland club outta the way ..

I think a top 10 finish would be a great result for Villa. I wonder if Villa will be as patient with Stevie G as Rangers were…

In other news, Lampard going to Norwich it looks like. Wow.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I think a top 10 finish would be a great result for Villa. I wonder if Villa will be as patient with Stevie G as Rangers were…

In other news, Lampard going to Norwich it looks like. Wow.

Be good if Lampard did go but not sure if Norwich will stump up the money for him.  They are still talking to others but it is anticipated an announcement will be made not until the end of this weekend/early next week which suggests the Norwegian seal hunter is still in with a shout.

16 hours ago, BigHewer said:

In other news, Lampard going to Norwich it looks like.

13 hours ago, gummy said:
16 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Be good if Lampard did go but not sure if Norwich will stump up the money for him

Doesn't look like this is happening now with Lampard reported to have withdrawn from the contest .. Ex Villa boss Dean Smith has moved up into fave now .. 

4 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Doesn't look like this is happening now with Lampard reported to have withdrawn from the contest .. Ex Villa boss Dean Smith has moved up into fave now .. 

Shame that, looks like the Norwegian seal hunter will come back in the frame.