News Forum - Government wants 76 billion baht to support rice farmers

Thaiger

The Finance Ministry has announced a plan to use a 76 billion baht package to support Thai rice farmers. The ministry is working with the Budget Bureau to create a scheme that ensures a guaranteed income for the farmers, which would offer some cushion against the unpredictable issues that plague farming such as floods, droughts and pestilence. There is already a scheme in place to offer financial aid to farmers, reports Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith. For rice farmers alone, the project has a budget of 89 billion baht. This plan initially called for 13 billion baht to be gradually distributed […]

The story Government wants 76 billion baht to support rice farmers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No rice...no food....thinking of the farmers employed...their families.... It is an essential industry. Or do you want to import your rice...from Australia??

• Like 2

Déjà vu...

"The verdict from the Supreme Court is out today on whether former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra is guilty for her handling of the ..."

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

issues that plague farming such as floods, droughts and pestilence.

Still got a way to go before it starts getting biblical with the frogs and locust's joining in .. 

• Haha 4

76 billion to support farmers of which there are how many ? Lets assume 1/3 of the adult population so that would be around14 million which would then work out at 5428 THB each. Possibly divide that by 2 to allow for the standard 30 % being skimmed off by ministers and others and a further 20 % for administration and it will be nearer 2700 THB per farmer. Yep that is better than nothing I agree, not a lot for the Farmer to keep his family though, but not better than having a proper agricultural policy in place with 100% of the allocated budget actually getting to the Farmers.

These are pledges never followed through. My family are rice farmers and every year they institute a plan to make up for there decisions that dilute the price of rice. This year it's the lack of consumption locally and internationally due to covid. My family will get a couple thousand baht from the multi- billion DOLLAR pool of cash. We all know about about the skim! They have to skim from every economic sector available since tourism and farang run businesses have dried up

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jason said:

The thing to remember...especially during a pandemic...is food security...national food security.

A valid point . But..........in Thailand it is not the capacity of production that is an issue. It is the viable financial primary producer's incentive to continue to supply a manipulated and controlled market price structure.

At least Thailand has a long way to go to reach the subsidized debauchery of places like France !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Finance Ministry has announced a plan to use a 76 billion baht package to support Thai rice farmers. The ministry is working with the Budget Bureau to create a scheme that ensures a guaranteed income for the farmers, which would offer some cushion against the unpredictable issues that plague farming such as floods, droughts and pestilence. There is already a scheme in place to offer financial aid to farmers, reports Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith. For rice farmers alone, the project has a budget of 89 billion baht. This plan initially called for 13 billion baht to be gradually distributed […]

The story Government wants 76 billion baht to support rice farmers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Did not a previous lady PM get into trouble for a rice subsidy scheme?

• Like 2

I seem to remember another PM who tried to help the rice farmers with subsidies through higher than market prices for their rice and was labeled a criminal for doing so. 

• Like 1

It would be funny if it wasn’t so literally ridiculous in the extreme. All of the above comments are totally 100% correct. My heart goes out to the average Thai citizen. I literally was moved to tears when I saw young people having to take to the streets and face water cannon, tear gas and police/army violence, simply for trying to have a voice. Dreadful  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tea said:

These are pledges never followed through. My family are rice farmers and every year they institute a plan to make up for there decisions that dilute the price of rice. This year it's the lack of consumption locally and internationally due to covid. My family will get a couple thousand baht from the multi- billion DOLLAR pool of cash. We all know about about the skim! They have to skim from every economic sector available since tourism and farang run businesses have dried up

They give some they take more

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

Don't let this industry die please. The best rice comes from Thailand