News Forum - Uproar among Thais on Twitter after social media attacks on Isaan people

Thaiger

The Thai “Twittersphere” is in an uproar after a group of users on the social media platform Clubhouse began a derogatory conversation about people from Isaan. This discussion gained attention after so many disparaging comments were made that the hashtag #ClubhouseToxic began trending on Twitter. The Clubhouse users allegedly listed the negative stereotypes of those native to Isaan, such as teenage pregnancies and dark skin, amongst other discriminatory comments. Famous Thai pop star and member of the K-pop band Blackpink, Lalisa Manoban, was also referenced when a user commented “If Isaan is that great, Lisa would’ve come home. Lisa living […]

The story Uproar among Thais on Twitter after social media attacks on Isaan people as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why would anyone be surprised by this? The Bangkok Elite have been looking down on Issan people forever.

Have people forgotten the Singha Heiress' famous comment that Issan farmers were too stupid to have the vote?

In the Kingdom of 'Bangkok and Surroundings', Issan people are there to provide servants, vegetables and comic relief.

Edited by Shade_Wilder
Smelting
  • Like 10

dont understand why they would insult  people from  issan. most anyone whos been to issan that  its known for the most beautiful  ladies in the world.so i would think  most all would be proud of issan. i am.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, farang said:

dont understand why they would insult  people from  issan. most anyone whos been to issan that  its known for the most beautiful  ladies in the world.so i would think  most all would be proud of issan. i am.

But the ugly fat hags married to their pig-face male partners amongst the Elite may not think that way. 

If anything the people in Isaan are too honest IMO, often to their detriment.

Friendly enough. But I just couldn't live there ever again. 

11 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

Twitter is an absolute sh!thole. It’s used primarily to stir up mobs and blind hatred. 

Whereas Forums like this are oasis' of Peace, Love, Tranquility, Cotton Candy, Rainbows and Unicorns.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Twitter??? Does that means it's oly to be used by Twits? 

It’s not limited to twits, but it’s frequented mainly by them 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Whereas Forums like this are oasis' of Peace, Love, Tranquility, Cotton Candy, Rainbows and Unicorns.

Perfect description of this forum there Mr Wilder. For some reason, it seems even more so today. Who’s missing?…

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, gummy said:

But the ugly fat hags married to their pig-face male partners amongst the Elite may not think that way. 

They can't understand why a lot of ferangs like dark skin. I love it.

That pale white skin that the elite and a lot of those around Bangkok have, by hiding from the sun in their apartments and air-con offices all their lives just makes them jealous I reckon. Well, jealous and bitchy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

That pale white skin that the elite and a lot of those around Bangkok have, by hiding from the sun in their apartments and air-con offices all their lives just makes them jealous I reckon. Well, jealous and bitchy.

It’s always the way mate. I often see a group of motorbike taxi guys and they won’t flinch when a stunning Thai girl walks by. A couple of fat white blotchy skinned tourists with fat arses and big guns walk by and you can see them adjusting themselves. I guess if your mum, sister and aunties all have brown skin and long black hair then the attraction isn’t the same 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

The idea is that you get dark skin from working outdoors in the sun all the time and are therefore a peasant. Thats the case in China anyway.  Dont know about Bangkok thinking, sorry!

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Poolie said:

The idea is that you get dark skin from working outdoors in the sun all the time and are therefore a peasant. Thats the case in China anyway.  Dont know about Bangkok thinking, sorry!

I think that’s exactly right. If you have dark skin then the assumption is you must be an outdoor worker such as a farmer or builder and hence poor. Being poor to Elite Thais means you are scum. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I've heard people in the white-skinned Thai world in Bangkok say just that.

Some who work outside all the time are almost black, others are a lighter shade of brown because they don't 'hide' from the sun.

Sorry, I don't have a pantone colour chart. Perhaps that's what the elite need, a sliding scale to work out how much they need to look down on someone with different colour skin?

That's why the pale skins in Bangkok are scared of the sun in case someone might mistake them as coming from Issan. A sort of Dracula syndrome I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai “Twittersphere” is in an uproar after a group of users on the social media platform Clubhouse began a derogatory conversation about people from Isaan. This discussion gained attention after so many disparaging comments were made that the hashtag #ClubhouseToxic began trending on Twitter. The Clubhouse users allegedly listed the negative stereotypes of those native to Isaan, such as teenage pregnancies and dark skin, amongst other discriminatory comments. Famous Thai pop star and member of the K-pop band Blackpink, Lalisa Manoban, was also referenced when a user commented “If Isaan is that great, Lisa would’ve come home. Lisa living […]

The story Uproar among Thais on Twitter after social media attacks on Isaan people as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Racism: if it walks like a duck quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then its probably a duck!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

My wife comes from the depths of Issan and like her Mum and her Mum before her they all have natural pale skin. Of course if they stay out in the sun they darken up a bit . Oh yes when we lived in Kazakhstan for a while the locals chatting to her couldn't believe she was Thai because like most they have this generalised pictures of Thais being dark skinned, so hence they thought she was Korean.  Of course I don't let her go out in the sun much any way as there are parts of her I wouldn't want to melt in the heat 😂

Not sure why Bangkokians look down on people from Issan as if it wasn't  for them having to come and work in Bangkok in the 70s/80s etc  most of modern Bangkok as we know it today would not have been built without their labour. Its even worse when foreigners think they are elitist or perhaps playing up to their wives by decrying Issan people also, but that can not be prejudice in their case  but purely ignorance so its good it has caused a storm on twerper. Now if 16 million people from Issan could turn that storm into a tsunami then this country would be much better for it in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Perfect description of this forum there Mr Wilder. For some reason, it seems even more so today. Who’s missing?…

Don't worry he is still checking up on us whilst living in his wooden shack that he would have us all believe is a palace.

My wife is from Isaan & that's where we live. I love her skin colour. I think those bleached out Thais look pasty, almost unwell, as if they're Anaemic.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Faraday said:

My wife is from Isaan & that's where we live. I love her skin colour. I think those bleached out Thais look pasty, almost unwell, as if they're Anaemic.

They probably are with all that dangerous skin whitening they put on. They still forget their pink parts are the same no matter which region you come from 😂

3 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Anaemic.  Someone told me that was a very short Irish man?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, gummy said:

They probably are with all that dangerous skin whitening they put on. They still forget their pink parts are the same no matter which region you come from 😂

When I saw a Dermatologist at Wattana a few years ago to have a lesion removed from my leg, she said some people IV Vitamin C. She said it makes them ghostly white, & when I commented that it seems extreme, she 'reassurred' me that as Vit C is a naturally occurring substance, it's ok!

• Haha 2