Visa processing time

rollie1962

Today I was speaking with a longtime friend who is planning to visit Thailand soon.

During that conversation, she informed that if I want to obtain a TR or STV visa from the Thai embassy in my home country of Canada, it will take at least 30 days (or as much as 60 days) for it to be processed.

Does anyone here know if this is the case?

If it is the case, how should I coordinate the other components of my travel arrangements?

Thanks 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rollie1962 said:

Today I was speaking with a longtime friend who is planning to visit Thailand soon.

During that conversation, she informed that if I want to obtain a TR or STV visa from the Thai embassy in my home country of Canada, it will take at least 30 days (or as much as 60 days) for it to be processed.

Does anyone here know if this is the case?

If it is the case, how should I coordinate the other components of my travel arrangements?

Thanks 

Canada uses the E-Visa online application system, same as the UK and a few other Countries.
I can't personally speak for Canada, but it takes around 5 working days in the UK to process an application, unless they have to request further documentation.

Email the Thai Embassy in Ottawa for a definitive answer.
Contact Information

Royal Thai Embassy
180 Island Park Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 0A2

Tel.  : 1 (613) 722-4444
Fax.: 1 (613) 722-6624

Emails:

General Enquiriescontact@thaiembassy.ca

Consular Enquiries (Thai Passport)consular@thaiembassy.ca

Consular Enquiries (Visa & Legalization)visa@thaiembassy.ca

Embassy Office Hours: 
Monday to Friday, 09.00 – 12.00 hrs and 13.00 – 15.00 hrs

Consular Office Hours:  
Monday to Friday, 10.00 – 13.00 PM

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Maybe if from canada can get visa exempt at airport(30 days free) and then extend my another 30 for 1900bt

Ive been doing this yearly since 2008..never gone there with a visa.....then I go to border for another 30 and extend again...=4 months and then I go home

• Like 3

I have been trying to get in touch with the Thai Embassy in Ottawa, Canada about some basic information, including how long it takes to process a visa. After several days of waiting, I received a reply where my questions weren't answered and a link about where to apply for a visa.

Not satisfied, I tried to get in touch with the Canadian division of TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand). After several days of waiting, I received a reply, but again my questions (except for one) weren't answered.  The one question, which was in reference to how long to process a visa, that was answered was basically I don't know.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:07 PM, rollie1962 said:

I have been trying to get in touch with the Thai Embassy in Ottawa, Canada about some basic information, including how long it takes to process a visa.

If you need a visa, you can apply on thaievisa.go.th

*Please note that the e-visa process may take 10-15 business days due to the e-visa back office systems is under maintenance (As of 10 November 2021)

https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/visiting-thailand-during-covid-19

• Like 1

How long do you plan to stay in Thailand? If less than 30 days, Canadian passport holders are on the visa exemption list.

Summary of countries and territories entitled for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/summary-of-countries-and-territorie?menu=5e1ff736aff2fd00bd63f6e2

Edited by Tigercat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ rollie1962 My husband and I are in the same boat as you. From what I am planning on doing is... we can enter thailand for 30 days as Canadians. [get a refundable airline ticket to show we plan to leave within 30 days just incase our STV is denied]. Then apply for the STV in Thailand OR before we leave. I know if you apply through the Vancouver embassy it takes 5 business days. I can't get any response from ottawa embassy.  - - - My only concern is, that i'm still trying to understand if our STV will be denied becasue we are already inside Thailand? There's literally no help or support from the Thai embassy's here... if anyone know please let us know. I think it would be okay since Canadians can enter without a visa - but the STV does say single entry  --- so ugh... Hope what I know helps anyways.

17 minutes ago, Minerva said:

@ rollie1962 My husband and I are in the same boat as you. From what I am planning on doing is... we can enter thailand for 30 days as Canadians. [get a refundable airline ticket to show we plan to leave within 30 days just incase our STV is denied]. Then apply for the STV in Thailand OR before we leave. I know if you apply through the Vancouver embassy it takes 5 business days. I can't get any response from ottawa embassy.  - - - My only concern is, that i'm still trying to understand if our STV will be denied becasue we are already inside Thailand? There's literally no help or support from the Thai embassy's here... if anyone know please let us know. I think it would be okay since Canadians can enter without a visa - but the STV does say single entry  --- so ugh... Hope what I know helps anyways.

You need to apply for the STV at a Thai Embassy/Consulate (not sure whether you can do this in another country than your home-country or country of residence).  But as Thai Embassies/Consulates are by definition outside Thailand, you cannot apply for the STV or any other Visa for that matter once you are in Thailand.  The only exception being the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for which you can apply at a provincial Thai Immigration Office of the province where you intend to stay long term (you still need at least 15 days left on your permission to stay when applying for that Visa).

To meet the outbound flight requirement, there are other options than buying a refundable airline ticket.  The most common being to simply buy a cheap one-way 'throw-away' ticket to an international destination (e.g. one-way tickets from BKK to HoChiMinh City could be bought on-line for as little as 1.000,- THB prior to covid, but will probably be a bit more expensive now).  You need to present that outbound-ticket when boarding your flight to Thailand and its flight-date must be prior to the permission to stay provided by Thai border-immigration that you would receive on entry.  Alternatively you can buy an on-line onward-ticket reservation, which typically costs somewhere between 10-15 US $ and provides you with a fully legit flight reservation, that will be automatically cancelled 24 to 72 hours after you booked it. 

On 11/11/2021 at 11:07 PM, rollie1962 said:

I have been trying to get in touch with the Thai Embassy in Ottawa, Canada about some basic information, including how long it takes to process a visa. After several days of waiting, I received a reply where my questions weren't answered and a link about where to apply for a visa.

Not satisfied, I tried to get in touch with the Canadian division of TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand). After several days of waiting, I received a reply, but again my questions (except for one) weren't answered.  The one question, which was in reference to how long to process a visa, that was answered was basically I don't know.

This is typical Thai officialdom. Nobody has a clue until you break a law and then they quote sections of the law book word for word to get their pound of flesh from you.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Minerva said:

Then apply for the STV in Thailand OR before we leave. I know if you apply through the Vancouver embassy it takes 5 business days. I can't get any response from ottawa embassy.  - - - My only concern is, that i'm still trying to understand if our STV will be denied becasue we are already inside Thailand?

You can only apply for the STV from a Thai Embassy, not from internal Immigration once in Thailand.