can I convert 30 day no visa entry to retirement visa

Busqueezo

For many years I've had either a retirement visa or married to a Thai visa before returning to states in 2020 during Thailand covid lockdowns.  My retirement visa issued in Chiang Mai in 2020 has expired. With problems getting my retirement visa issued in time for departure from USA (yes, my documents have been submitted online for the non immigrant O A visa and airline ticket is issued for departure December 8), is it possible to convert a 30 day entry to a retirement visa after arriving in Thailand? Thanks, Busqueezo sends

• Like 1

You can enter Visa exempt (30 days) and apply for a change of status to Non Immigrant (0) based on retirement or Thai spouse, at a local Immigration office. You must have a Non Imm type Visa to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement/Thai spouse. (A permit, not a Visa).

The procedures to apply for a Non O is here;  VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf  VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf

Within the last 30 days of the 90 days granted by the Non O you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Still not clear.I  intend coming to Bangkok next year and converting my free 30 days entry permit to a non Imm.B  retirement visa again.How does the non Imm O  affect it and do I apply Scotland  or London Royal Thai office or Bangkok

You can convert a 30 day tourist visa to a 90 day No Imm 0 as long as you have the retirement visa requirements including the 880k in a Thai bank for at least 3 months. I have done this before. I don't need to leave Thailand. It's a conversion as long as there's at least 21 days left on your 30 day tourist visa. 2,000 baht fee.