Thaiger Talk Quiz #010 - Wildlife in Thailand

BigHewer

Quiz #10 - Wildlife

Beyond the cities (in sometimes in them), Thailand has a rich variety of wildlife. How much do you know? Who's going to get 5 out of 5? Let us know how you do in the comments.

1.thumb.jpg.c88ef9179121cc81548f48d40bd602f8.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.009b0ec8c1f2c2375cfedeb3296e44e6.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.f76a4ae25777c3b36d010f32029b5390.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.7ddc2368a91734dd0cd56033cfcb19dc.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.c8605de9966f521d06c99ba0a1d82b57.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.06832c8955aec82cf11ea0db7bf82f8a.jpg

And now for the answers...

7.thumb.jpg.1dcd1a910881a49d2bdec47c66fd24ef.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.f1148362f2a1c9ddcebbeb4f82c9731f.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.c5e9da3a9a4745f32b32bfbacc33a5d2.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.79e63377cf4a86370efb85427b3e22e5.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.2a69b1bb4be81579449d58efff37d034.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.9e98e6e8fac27a6ac3f7788656f9cb08.jpg

• Like 2

Useless me only 3/5. I thought that there were more leopards and  given the Chinese appetite for Monkey brains guessed wrong about them to.

Oh well one day the quiz may well be on my favourite topic.

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

Useless me only 3/5. I thought that there were more leopards and  given the Chinese appetite for Monkey brains guessed wrong about them to.

Oh well one day the quiz may well be on my favourite topic.

Dare I even ask what you're likely to get 5 out of 5 in?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Dare I even ask what you're likely to get 5 out of 5 in?

I wondered how long it would take to ask , but I best keep it close to my chest for a while 'till you run out of subject matter😉

Expecting 4 or 5 here, but sadly had to settle for 3. Didn't think that tigers were so rare - half-a-million times rarer than humans! - and since I see 6 water buffalo out my window every day, who'd have thought they were endangered? 🤔  Excellent quiz, though!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Expecting 4 or 5 here, but sadly had to settle for 3. Didn't think that tigers were so rare - only 150! - and since I see 6 water buffalo out my window every day, who'd have thought they were endangered? 🤔  Excellent quiz, though!

Better than having 6 tigers outside your window, KC. You’ve got the right endangered animal in your neighborhood 🐃😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2021 at 3:01 PM, BigHewer said:

Quiz #10 - Wildlife

Click HERE to test your knowledge of Wildlife in Thailand

Who's going to get 5 out of 5?

got 4 better than my last effort but many years ago I was of the belief that Asian Rhino was to be found in the jungles of Laos and took the wrong guess. I'm hoping the Tiger population increases though. Deadly but beautiful beasts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

got 4 better than my last effort but many years ago I was of the belief that Asian Rhino was to be found in the jungles of Laos and took the wrong guess. I'm hoping the Tiger population increases though. Deadly but beautiful beasts.

Apparently those tiger numbers are increasing. Seems the low point has been reached and there’s a big effort to bring them back from the brink in Thailand.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/08/03/thailands-wild-tiger-population-forecast-to-rise-50-percent/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Apparently those tiger numbers are increasing. Seems the low point has been reached and there’s a big effort to bring them back from the brink in Thailand.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/08/03/thailands-wild-tiger-population-forecast-to-rise-50-percent/

Good article and good news. Thank you BH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JamesE said:

2... because, water buffaloes??? Really. I guess in the wild.

Those pesky water buffalo surprised me, too, knowing that, despite an acknowledged 15% annual reduction in numbers - as the so-called Kabota 'iron buffalo' (not Kubota, that's the bigger, 'proper' tractor) replace them - there are countless thousands of the beasts, especially in the country's NE Isan region.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JamesE said:

2... because, water buffaloes??? Really. I guess in the wild.

Could be. Plenty of them roaming around in Sakhon Nakhon. Are those ones outside your window wild, @King Cotton?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Could be. Plenty of them roaming around in Sakhon Nakhon. Are those ones outside your window wild, @King Cotton?

Wild . . . you gotta be joking! Water buffalo are the gentlest, most domesticated beasts you could expect to see from an Isan window . . . my study window at least! For their sheer bulk, they are amazingly compliant with whatever the farmer or his wife asks them to do. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Wild . . . you gotta be joking! Water buffalo are the gentlest, most domesticated beasts you could expect to see from an Isan window . . . my study window at least! For their sheer bulk, they are amazingly compliant with whatever the farmer or his wife asks them to do. 

You get me every time KC, yes I was joking. I guess the water buffalo are threatened in the wild, which kind of makes sense. I read that wild camels no longer exist in Saudi Arabia, but there’s a domesticated one outside many windows, I would imagine.

• Cool 1

14 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

You get me every time KC, yes I was joking. I guess the water buffalo are threatened in the wild, which kind of makes sense. I read that wild camels no longer exist in Saudi Arabia, but there’s a domesticated one outside many windows, I would imagine.

You got me, this time BH . . . I'm still working on that one.        You were joking again, I take it 🤔?

12 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

You got me, this time BH . . . I'm still working on that one.        You were joking again, I take it 🤔?

Actually that time KC, I was dead serious. Apparently there are 5 million domesticated water Buffalo in Thailand  (including the six outside your window) and only a few hundred in the wild.

https://www.thainationalparks.com/species/wild-water-buffalo

Sad or not, I don’t know. Similarly, while there are no wild camels in the Middle East anymore, I imagine there are quite a few households with six of them outside their windows. 99% of the world’s wild camels are in Australia.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20180410-the-strange-story-of-australias-wild-camel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Sad or not, I don’t know. Similarly, while there are no wild camels in the Middle East anymore, I imagine there are quite a few households with six of them outside their windows. 99% of the world’s wild camels are in Australia.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20180410-the-strange-story-of-australias-wild-camel

Seems like you're on the strong stuff again, BH. And there was me, thinking that the quiz question quoted 'water buffalo' - not WILD water buffalo - as one of the endangered species choices. It was a WILDlife quiz, admittedly, so I'll give you that one, but I'm still not avvin-it that there are many camels outside people's windows in the Middle East . . . or any East for that matter 🤨. I thought they lived in tents, anyway!

4 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

I thought they lived in tents, anyway!

The people or the camels, KC? 😁

Ok, fair enough, point taken. We’ll amend that question forthwith.

• Haha 1