Greetings, pop pickers! . . .

King Cotton

. . . and Juke Box Jury lovers too, just for good measure!

Hi, music lovers . . . of all ages and genres 🤨 !      Can you remember . . .

1. Who started his BBC Radio 1 music show (1972 onwards) with his catch-phrase, ‘Greetings, pop pickers’, when opening his Pick of the Pops show?
  2. Who presented the BBC TV long-running (1960’s) pop music show, Juke Box Jury?

Answers on a postcard please, including any info that might interest or excite us.

How about we have our own TT version of Juke Box Jury, with you casting your ‘Hit’ or ‘Miss’ votes against a run of 10 recent releases (one per day) whose success – or failure – can be compared at the series end?

If the idea scores a hit with you, just quote this OP and cast your vote, either HIT or MISS.

First off, for Friday 5 Nov (hey, bonfire-night, later!) is a recent release by Newcastle’s own big voice, Sam Fender, titled ‘Get You Down’ . . . first, from a live BBC session and second, a studio recording, but with festival style video treatment . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccBvT1qa4-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zOMVs5scXk

Did either of those tunes rattle your cage enough to reach for your hit or miss cards?

• Like 2

Tony Blackburn

Hughie Green ..?

I thought Fender were okay, but nothing special. The intro sounded like 'won't get fooled again'.

A good pub band, but not much else.

• Cool 1

Thanks for joining pop pickers, @Faraday! As for the 2 Q's, 'no' & 'no'. I'll tell you later, but Tony Blackburn may well have been a studio guest - one of the jury - in Juke Box Jury, from time to time. That was just up his street!

Sorry that Fender didn't appeal but 'yes', I do hear that opening chord likeness to that classic Who number.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Faraday said:

What TV program had some woman saying:

" I'll give it foive?" It was a pop program, but that's all I remember.

Wasn't that Thank your lucky Stars with Jimmy Peado Saville also ?  Janice somebody I think

Alan Freeman.

..as parodied on British TV by Smashy and Nicey.

Dave Nicey was to a large extent based on Alan Freeman and acted by Harry Enfield.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gummy said:

Wasn't that Thank your lucky Stars with Jimmy Peado Saville also ?  Janice somebody I think

Saville was one of the occasional judges. The girl was Janice Nicholl, and the main presenter was Keith Fordyce. I remember it well.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Saville was one of the occasional judges. The girl was Janice Nicholl, and the main presenter was Keith Fordyce. I remember it well.

No it was Frank Ifield "I Remember you"😂, not well

54 minutes ago, Faraday said:

What TV program had some woman saying:

" I'll give it foive?" It was a pop program, but that's all I remember.

What a good call, @Faraday, with your 'some woman', Janice Nicholls, being the star panel guest on Thank Your Lucky Stars, a show that aired on ITV from '61 to 66, and she having the thickest Brummy accent you've ever heard 🙂! Presented by Keith Fordyce and Brian Matthew, it was commercial TV's answer to Juke Box Jury's huge success.

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

No it was Frank Ifield "I Remember you"😂, not well

There's a blast from the past: Frank Ifield! I had trouble remembering whether he was Australian or Austrian with his yodelling.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

There's a blast from the past: Frank Ifield! I had trouble remembering whether he was Australian or Austrian with his yodelling.

British /Austalian but he made very tight underpants the must have fashion accessory of the day 😂

3 minutes ago, Faraday said:

David Jacobs is the host & a very young David Mc Callum - before The Man From Uncle.

Reminiscences: I met Nina and Frederick when they were giving the prizes at my school's prize day. I remember they had a couple of Xmas No1's with "Little Donkey" and "Mary's Boy Child". The latter was pre-Boney M. Nina von Pallandt went on to acquire massive notoriety as the G/f of Clifford Irving who faked an autobiography about by Howard Hughes (Only in America can you have an autobiography written by someone else). 

I also recall hearing a radio interview by David Jacobs, telling how he got his job with the BBC. He did one show, and then got as many friends etc as possible to write to him at the BBC saying how good he was. He said that did not work out to well for him. As the letters were all addressed to him, the BBC forwarded them to him, unopened.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gummy said:

British /Austalian but he made very tight underpants the must have fashion accessory of the day 😂

Oz or Austrian wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

33 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

What a good call, @Faraday, with your 'some woman', Janice Nicholls, being the star panel guest on Thank Your Lucky Stars, a show that aired on ITV from '61 to 66, and she having the thickest Brummy accent you've ever heard 🙂! Presented by Keith Fordyce and Brian Matthew, it was commercial TV's answer to Juke Box Jury's huge success.

I don't rhink she was so much the star as the oddity or curiosity of the programme. Shows where "regulars" had regional accents were very much frowned upon and forbidden by the BBC for years. She was a "breakthrough" but it was on ITV. Another similar character with a strong regional accent (cockney), was Monica Rose who was on the popular quiz programme, "Double Your Money" with Hughie Green.

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

"Oi'll give it foive" - Janice Nicholls

• Haha 2

Definitely Alan “ Fluff” Freeman 

Juke Box Jury is a bit before my time so really don’t know.

Sam Fenders song was okay, the sax solo was a bit … meh , needed to build it up in volume and speed to get the festival/club crowd going, was just lacking something.

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Sam Fenders song was okay, the sax solo was a bit … meh , needed to build it up in volume and speed to get the festival/club crowd going, was just lacking something.

So how about Top of the Pops , Pans People and "the lech"  in the 60's ? ( that camera man was eventually sacked, 1968 I think) If you were too young for that you missed some of the best knicker shots in TV history. Kids today just don't appreciate the number of gussets that bombarded us every week 😂

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Cheers, @DwizzleyMatthews , good comment there and 'Fluff' Freeman was the man. I'm calling Sam now, about his no hits and 2 misses😏!

19 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Hi, music lovers . . . of all ages and genres 🤨 !      Can you remember . . .

1. Who started his BBC Radio 1 music show (1972 onwards) with his catch-phrase, ‘Greetings, pop pickers’, when opening his Pick of the Pops show?
  2. Who presented the BBC TV long-running (1960’s) pop music show, Juke Box Jury?

Answers on a postcard please, including any info that might interest or excite us.

And those two presenters are . . .  

Alan Freeman, MBE (6 July 1927 – 27 November 2006), nicknamed "Fluff", was an Australian-born (Melbourne) British disc jockey and radio personality in the United Kingdom for 40 years, best known for presenting Pick of the Pops from 1961 to 2000.

David Jacobs, CBE (19 May 1926 – 2 September 2013) was a British broadcaster, perhaps best known as presenter of the BBC Television 1960s peak-time show Juke Box Jury between 1959 and 1967.

With Friday's JBJ tune, Sam Fender's 'Get You Down', only getting a couple of votes - both MISS's - I'm now trawling my recent release folders for one that really will rattle your cages . . . let's see 🥰 !

• Like 2

22 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Saturday 6 Nov – the day after Guy Fawkes night . . . hoping that our England-based members have survived that ‘playtime’ unscathed.

For today’s recent release, I’ve chosen ‘Strangers’, by Man of Moon, an Edinburgh, Scotland, 2-piece outfit, believe it or not, once you’ve heard the big sound they make.

It’s a bit of a long shot, given @Faraday’s Who leanings, but let’s see what you make of it . . .

Man of Moon – 'Strangers'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Pqydl3b2A

. . . and then please give it your HIT or MISS verdict

On 11/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, King Cotton said:

Sunday 7 Nov

Let’s add to the happy feel of this sunny Sunday morning.

A relative newcomer to UK’s BBC, Jeremiah Asiamah, a British-Ghanaian DJ, broadcaster and producer has risen through the ranks of UK radio in recent years, currently presenting the Saturday night Radio 1’s Soundsystem show. His infectious selections, spanning Afro house, Afro tech, amapiano, dancehall, afrobeats and more have earned him a party-starting reputation.

It was whilst in one of Jerry’s ‘Feel Free’ sessions, playing for the last half-hour of his show, that I first head this track, ‘Osama’, by South African singer, songwriter and producer, Zakes Bantwini and boy, don’t those South African’s know how to play their music . . . happy and loud! Enjoy . . .

Zakes Bantwini - 'Osama'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Z_FJbceg8

Here’s a quieter, gentler studio version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKyYr2pbXUM

Here’s another one-hour long session from Zakes . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYwDrqzV1U

. . . and then please give 'Osama' your HIT or MISS verdict

On 11/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, King Cotton said:

Monday 8 Nov

Okay, you’ve asked for it . . . if you want a tune to get you dancing round the bedroom, here’s the LA band, Starcrawler, with another of their lively little tunes . . .

Starcrawler - 'Goodtime Girl'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URdlxFRIVe4

When you've recovered, please give it your HIT or MISS verdict