Flight to Phuket, via Bangkok

Chrism154

Hi all,

I'm currently looking into flights to Phuket in December via skyscanner, and see some that are 2 stops; Frankfurt and Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi).

My concern is, once I land in Bangkok, will I be permitted to then get the domestic flight (within a few hours) to Phuket, and start the process for RT-PCR/SHA+ etc there? I unfortunately can't remember how Suvarnabhumi Airport is when switching off an International to domestic flight!

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

There are direct flights running between Phuket and Suvarnabhumi, so it's possible you'll remain airside in transit. However why book two stop if you can book one stop direct to Phuket.

• Like 1

We are facing the same dilemma, trying to get to Phuket via Bangkok. We're flying using miles, so there is no option to go directly to Phuket... our itinerary terminates in BKK so we must book  a local flight to Phuket. If we must stay in Bangkok for the PCR test and 1 day hotel stay (we're vaccinated) does that mean if we fly into Phuket we STILL need to go through the Sandbox protocols?  We don't mind the 7-day geographical stay in Phuket limits, but will we need to pay for ANOTHER series of two PCR tests?  These "got'cha" details that are not clearly explained online make it tempting to skip Thailand this year for another destination. It's been impossible to get through to numerous Thai embassies to get an answer. Truly hoping to get back to Thailand...If anyone can point me to some solid reference I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

Main reason I was considering the 2 stop was the difference of around 300-400 euro on price! However if it's not certain to have no issues, I'll be considering just paying the extra for safety!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mesa said:

We are facing the same dilemma, trying to get to Phuket via Bangkok. We're flying using miles, so there is no option to go directly to Phuket... our itinerary terminates in BKK so we must book  a local flight to Phuket. If we must stay in Bangkok for the PCR test and 1 day hotel stay (we're vaccinated) does that mean if we fly into Phuket we STILL need to go through the Sandbox protocols?  We don't mind the 7-day geographical stay in Phuket limits, but will we need to pay for ANOTHER series of two PCR tests?  These "got'cha" details that are not clearly explained online make it tempting to skip Thailand this year for another destination. It's been impossible to get through to numerous Thai embassies to get an answer. Truly hoping to get back to Thailand...If anyone can point me to some solid reference I would appreciate it.

Unless I'm hugely mistaken - the moment you get your clear results from your AHQ+ 1day thingy (test and go)  in BKK you are free to travel anywhere with no further quarantining .

I've booked to land in Dec 24th. We'll do the robbing £200 (for two) 1 day quarantine package in a random hotel in BKK, prob near MBK area so we can go shopping once free! They pick us up, test us, then free us once the results are back.

We'll then hang around BKK on the 25th in a random much cheaper hotel and fly to Phuket on the 26th. Nice stay somewhere swanky for a week then off backpacking.

When I try and book a flight package that takes  us on to Phuket the deals I want just don't come up, or the BKK to Phuket flight adds on a silly amount. You also , currently, need a "sealed transit" at BKK airport (Subvhlmmiiinihbhv...) - I read that for Samui that is two specific flights each day - you must use one of those for the "sealed tranfer". I assume there is a simillar arrangement for Phuket. I gave up researching  and just decided to do a couple of days in BKK.

You tickets for the whole trip must also be under one booking... bit of a nightmare really. We are nto short on time and like BKK, but for anyone on a regular holiday it robs you of at least one whole day, probably two.

Edited by Dodgey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dodgey said:

Unless I'm hugely mistaken - the moment you get your clear results from your AHQ+ 1day thingy (test and go)  in BKK you are free to travel anywhere with no further quarantining .

I believe that to be the case. However, earlier today, a Thai friend of mine questioned that! He is most likely mistaken, however he tells me that an article he claims was on Thai PBS today claimed that the test and go only applies to the area you are in. Transfer to another place such as Phuket or for example Chiangmai, would only be possible after day 7 and a further PCR Test on day 6. I would suggest this information is incorrect as this is essentially area quarantine (sandbox) in Bangkok. Can anyone confirm if they have arrived yesterday and already left to another area? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I believe that to be the case. However, earlier today, a Thai friend of mine questioned that! He is most likely mistaken, however he tells me that an article he claims was on Thai PBS today claimed that the test and go only applies to the area you are in. Transfer to another place such as Phuket or for example Chiangmai, would only be possible after day 7 and a further PCR Test on day 6. I would suggest this information is incorrect as this is essentially area quarantine (sandbox) in Bangkok. Can anyone confirm if they have arrived yesterday and already left to another area? 

That would be absurd, and I'd be cancelling some very expensive flights if that were the case.

I deffo read once you have tested-and-gone - that's it - you are treated as a domestic traveller.

I think your friend has confised the sandbox 7+7 scheme where you could split your 14 night sandbox quarantine over two destinations:

"Starting from 16 August, 2021, the “Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension” programme allows eligible international travellers to reduce the mandatory stay in Phuket from 14 to 7 days. It gives travellers more freedom to visit other southern Thai destinations without the need to quarantine. The 7+7 extension connects with Samui Plus (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao), Krabi and Phang Nga reopening schemes. In Surat Thani, islands open to the travelers include Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. In Krabi, the popular tourist destinations Koh Phi Phi, Koh Ngai and Railay are open. Khao Lak, Koh Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi in Phang Nga are included in the scheme"

Edited by Dodgey
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dodgey said:

That would be absurd, and I'd be cancelling some very expensive flights if that were the case.

I deffo read once you have tested-and-gone - that's it - you are treated as a domestic traveller.

I think your friend has confised the sandbox 7+7 scheme where you could split your 14 night sandbox quarantine over two destinations:

"Starting from 16 August, 2021, the “Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension” programme allows eligible international travellers to reduce the mandatory stay in Phuket from 14 to 7 days. It gives travellers more freedom to visit other southern Thai destinations without the need to quarantine. The 7+7 extension connects with Samui Plus (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao), Krabi and Phang Nga reopening schemes. In Surat Thani, islands open to the travelers include Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. In Krabi, the popular tourist destinations Koh Phi Phi, Koh Ngai and Railay are open. Khao Lak, Koh Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi in Phang Nga are included in the scheme"

I’m really not sure and his English and my Thai don’t always meet. Having told him my previous plans last weekend to arrive in Bangkok and then after one night travel to Rayong, he called today to tell me he didn’t think that was possible having heard an article on Thai TV. Like you, I believe that is totally wrong and tried to explain to him. I really do suspect he is mistaken and I hate to post things I’m unable to verify. However, I wanted to see if anyone could unequivocally confirm you are free to travel anywhere after the arrival PCR. Prayut himself has been quoted as saying once you have tested negative you can travel as if you were Thai. I would just like this confirmed by someone who has actually completed such a trip. 

Thanks and apologies for any concern this unverified comment may cause. I remain confident it’s a mistake. 

• Like 1

Of course. It's all a bit in the air, but I'm confident things will pan out. Thailand are going to be in severe trouble I imagine if they don't get money coming in fast.

I've committed now.

Flying to BKK on 23rd December. Arrive 24th

Test and go hotel booked next to airport.

Flight booked to Phuket 25th.

All refundable / movable (main flights) with the exception of the pocket money flights to Phuket.

Taking the plunge. It even occurred to me some of my favourite quiet places might actually be too quiet and might end up visiting some classics that had become too busy in the past!

Edited by Dodgey
  • Like 1