News Forum - Chiang Mai Central Prison uncovers Alpha Plus Covid-19 cases

Thaiger

While 98% of Covid-19 in Thailand is now the Delta variant, with fears of some of the new Delta Plus strains creeping into the country, two inmates at Chiang Mai Central Prison have been diagnosed with infections of the Alpha Plus variant. The Covid-19 infection was originally detected in late September from genome sequencing and the Alpha variant discovery has just now been announced. One of the patients is HIV positive and had previously recovered from Covid-19 and then became re-infected, well the other had been in close contact with the first, acting as a caretaker for him. The first […]

The story Chiang Mai Central Prison uncovers Alpha Plus Covid-19 cases as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Not surprising in such crowded conditions....Vaccination needs to be a real priority in prisons. It's a place for Covid to flourish and it will inevitably escape into the general community. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yetanother said:

"and for the international reopening on November 1 they will only open four districts to travellers: Doi Tao, Mae Rim, Mae Taeng, and Muang."    <===A Nut In

how could that possibly work, every street, soi , road and highway on all of those district 'borders' staffed with military  ?

and what if i , a very long time resident expat in thailand wants to visit c mai ? am i going to be lumped in as an "international traveler" and basically imprisoned in those few districts ?

Obviously it can't "work".

It's not just the tourists - realistically it's not the tourists at all - but it's everyone else who'll effectively have unrestricted travel and access to re-opened bars and restaurants in any "blue" zone who'll be able to come from anywhere and go anywhere.

It could have worked in places like Phuket and Koh Samui that could have been "bubble and sealed" easily and effectively, however unpopular that would have been elsewhere, but in Bangkok and Chiang Mai (or Pattaya in a month)?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, yetanother said:

"and for the international reopening on November 1 they will only open four districts to travellers: Doi Tao, Mae Rim, Mae Taeng, and Muang."    <===A Nut In

how could that possibly work, every street, soi , road and highway on all of those district 'borders' staffed with military  ?

and what if i , a very long time resident expat in thailand wants to visit c mai ? am i going to be lumped in as an "international traveler" and basically imprisoned in those few districts ?

I think opening of CM may be postponed, as it's kept a "red-zone" in the latest list and has not been made blue.

No idea what they will do about passengers with plane tickets and hotel reservations or changes to access etc.

They'll keep that a nice surprise until someone realises it tomorrow night at 23:59.

• Like 5