Washing the dishes

Bluesofa

As part of my manly duties I normally do the washing up (washing the pots).
I stack all the clean items on the 'drainer' or dish draining rack - see the pic.

DishDrainingRack.thumb.jpg.90c87574cc6b2f22818065ac89812e49.jpg

The photo I've attached is off the net, although it is good to see everything stacked up tidily. This is the way I have always done it, everything standing upright so the water runs off and all the plates and cutlery will dry.

On the occasions my wife or son do the washing up, they lay it all flat and pile everything on top of each other. It prevents most of the items drying properly.

I can't work out of it's a lack of interest or a lack of understanding? They've both seen my wonderful vertically stacked plates hundreds of times!

Do others have a similar issue, or perhaps they steer clear of the sink at all costs? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I stack all the clean items on the 'drainer' or dish draining rack - see the pic.

The photo I've attached is off the net, although it is good to see everything stacked up tidily. This is the way I have always done it, everything standing upright so the water runs off and all the plates and cutlery will dry.

On the occasions my wife or son do the washing up, they lay it all flat and pile everything on top of each other. It prevents most of the items drying properly.

I can't work out of it's a lack of interest or a lack of understanding? They've both seen my wonderful vertically stacked plates hundreds of times!

Do others have a similar issue, or perhaps they steer clear of the sink at all costs? 

I understand the issue very well. My current wife fortunately has now been fully house trained and very un-Thai like accepts that there is a reason for that logic and even better knowing that we don't leave items to dry, we dry them and put them back in the cupboards. A place for everything and everything in its place. 

Set that against my first Thai wife, so called highly educated who couldn't be arsed to keep anything tidy or even bothered to put them in the dishwasher we had at the time then I can only assume it was all my fault, either that or she considered it was beneath her ,or at least it was her point of view 😂

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

I think you would get on well with my wife who is also borderline OCD 😂😂

Ha ha, I know you said it with a smiley emoji, so no offence.
However, it's interesting you consider me OCD because I'm tidy.

I always thought OCD was for example, someone who had to switch the lights on and off three times before leaving the house. or had to put the washing on the line at a specific time. That sort of thing.
Oh hang on, I must be OCD, because I don't put the washing out if it's raining.  🤣

Is being tidy, anal or OCD? I always put my keys in exactly the same place on my desk, then I know where to find them.
The downside is my wife and son just throw their keys anywhere and can never find theirs.  So when someone comes to the house and we need to unlock the gate, it's always my keys the two of them go for, just because they also know exactly where I put them.

If Thais were judging me, perhaps I am OCD, as my two don't put a single thing away.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

13 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I always thought OCD was for example, someone who had to switch the lights on and off three times before leaving the house. or had to put the washing on the line at a specific time. That sort of thing.
Oh hang on, I must be OCD, because I don't put the washing out if it's raining.  🤣

Is being tidy, anal or OCD? I always put my keys in exactly the same place on my desk, then I know where to find them.
The downside is my wife and son just throw their keys anywhere and can never find theirs.  So when someone comes to the house and we need to unlock the gate, it's always my keys the two of them go for, just because they also know exactly where I put them.

If Thais were judging me, perhaps I am OCD, as my two don't put a single thing away.

Yes no offence meant, I am well aware from your posts you have a good sense of humour.

Actually that's why I said 'borderline' as I believe many of us are. There is a big difference between being seriouusly OCD and a creature of habit.

I share your frustration with the keys, and even though my wife is certainly slightly OCD it's in a good way. She cleans every day, tidies every day, switches off any appliance at the mains when not in use, even like the kettle and fans. I spend a lot of my day plugging things back in! She insists on unplugging the wifi router when we go to bed. I try to tell her they are designed to be on 24/7 but to no avail.

However all these little quirks are a small price to pay for a wonderful, caring, honest wife.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes no offence meant, I am well aware from your posts you have a good sense of humour.

Actually that's why I said 'borderline' as I believe many of us are. There is a big difference between being seriouusly OCD and a creature of habit.

I share your frustration with the keys, and even though my wife is certainly slightly OCD it's in a good way. She cleans every day, tidies every day, switches off any appliance at the mains when not in use, even like the kettle and fans. I spend a lot of my day plugging things back in! She insists on unplugging the wifi router when we go to bed. I try to tell her they are designed to be on 24/7 but to no avail.

However all these little quirks are a small price to pay for a wonderful, caring, honest wife.

This quite Thai thing about removing appliance plugs from the socket when not in use is, I think, a good idea.
Seeing as we have so many power surges/brownouts whatever you want to call them, it's not that bad to think ahead.
Perhaps your wife's worried you haven''t got enough house insurance in case of a fire caused by one these items.
Our TV was hit by a power surge. We had it repaired for 3,000 Baht, only to be hit again a month later. We don't watch TV any more.

Perhaps we're just too complacent coming from the West. Having said all that, I never unplug anything though.

22 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Totally a Thai thing mate - took years for me to 'train' my wife to do it the more like the 'right way' - but she still does not get it right now and then. She washes up last thing before we go to sleep, and I do the drying and putting away in the morning - that way they have aired and dried overnight.  We have had a dishwasher many times in places we lived, but she refuses to use them - likes using her favourite bowls and utensils every day and doesnt want to run it if only half full.  Like you said, she has her 'ways', but a small price to pay for such a wonderful wife.   

• Like 1

I used switched sockets on both builds, as my wife hates the 'blue flash' when pulling a plug out, all doubles as I hate using adaptors an power boards. 

Actually turning appliances OFF at the wall or pulling the plug out used to be common practice in Aus/Nz 50 years ago, especially with the old valve-job tv's, heaters and other small appliances.

^ old habits die hard, sort of like Thai's lifting wipers away from the windscreen, unnecessary with modern silicon compound blades.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I would have put my keys in a different place just for fun if those are the ones they always get 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

^ old habits die hard, sort of like Thai's lifting wipers away from the windscreen, unnecessary with modern silicon compound blades.

Yes lol my brother in law always does this when he parks our Hilux, I never knew why!

It is also a puzzle as to how he can reach the wipers as he is pretty short, takes me full stretch to put them down again.

Tell me people, has your partner latched on to this crazy potted plant fad that's sweeping the country? We have gone from zero ( the always said never wants plants around the house) to about 20 and counting. She is amazing at recycling/repurposing and has done it without buying pots.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I used switched sockets on both builds, as my wife hates the 'blue flash' when pulling a plug out, all doubles as I hate using adaptors an power boards. 

Actually turning appliances OFF at the wall or pulling the plug out used to be common practice in Aus/Nz 50 years ago, especially with the old valve-job tv's, heaters and other small appliances.

These things are making a comeback,mainly because of budgets being squeezed and the rocketing energy costs.I have everything on strips and everything gets switched off at the flick of a switch.The only thing on permanently in my flat is the Refrigerator and electric oven.

• Like 1

We'd need to use 2 dinner sets and wait for the dishwasher to fill up so we could justify using it daily.  With only 2 of us the dishes are easily done by hand after each meal. 

Different story when entertaining of course and good for greasy cookware as the DW heats water and those tablets eat the grease!

15 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes lol my brother in law always does this when he parks our Hilux, I never knew why!

It is also a puzzle as to how he can reach the wipers as he is pretty short, takes me full stretch to put them down again.

Tell me people, has your partner latched on to this crazy potted plant fad that's sweeping the country? We have gone from zero ( the always said never wants plants around the house) to about 20 and counting. She is amazing at recycling/repurposing and has done it without buying pots.

Plastic !!  What is it with plastic on just about everything you buy in Thailand - and they leave it on sometimes for years !  I remember buying a fully assembled and delivered dining table and chairs, and they were completely covered in plastic - under the screws and bolts!  I had to disassemble everything, take off the plastic, and then put everything back together again.   In a lot of Thai hotel rooms we stayed, the TV and/or Aircon still has the protective plastic covering on them!  Even the remotes !!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Plastic !!  What is it with plastic on just about everything you buy in Thailand - and they leave it on sometimes for years !  I remember buying a fully assembled and delivered dining table and chairs, and they were completely covered in plastic - under the screws and bolts!  I had to disassemble everything, take off the plastic, and then put everything back together again.   In a lot of Thai hotel rooms we stayed, the TV and/or Aircon still has the protective plastic covering on them!  Even the remotes !!  

now what you mean. 

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

It's a different cultural thing. Back in the UK I remember Indian families did the same.
Like you mention the TV remote control wrapped in plastic, that was the thing I also remember seeing as bizarre.
Whether they changed it every month, I have no idea.

Going off at a tangent: Good thing they don't put cling film over the toilet bowl to 'protect it'.
Forty years ago I remember a friend in the police telling me the sordid details of a raid in a pub. My mate in the police was checking out the toilets, only to find a guy cr*pping in the wash basin.
Turns out he had diarrhoea and some sad git had put cling film over both the toilet pans, as a sick joke. Absolutely true story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 2:46 PM, Bluesofa said:

Question of intelligence ...

On 10/29/2021 at 2:46 PM, Bluesofa said:

you need to get out more 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yep.  It takers the strength of Samson to open even a simple thing like a  LIsterine bottle nowadays. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

you need to get out more 

I do once the dishes have been washed.

Straight out onto the lawn with a pair of scissors. You can't be too careful.

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

Great stuff , this thread is drying off nicely now then Mr Sofa .. I feared it would be a bit draining at first and I'd get board .. I've got a book on the subject for you to give Mrs Sofa for Xmas , hope it helps .. 

IMG_20211031_054301.jpg

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Great stuff , this thread is drying off nicely now then Mr Sofa .. I feared it would be a bit draining at first and I'd get board .. I've got a book on the subject for you to give Mrs Sofa for Xmas , hope it helps .. 

IMG_20211031_054301.jpg

Does it have pictures for the hard-of-learning?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Does it have pictures for the hard-of-learning?

Forks sake .. you don't want much .. Now stop Fairy ing about and show them this .. 

IMG_20211031_060649.jpg

• Haha 1