News Forum - Police seize Covid-19 antiviral drugs allegedly stolen by hospital manager

Thaiger

A number of arrests have been made following the seizure of antiviral drugs used to treat Covid-19, with hundreds of boxes of Favipiravir pills allegedly stolen by a hospital manager and destined for online sale. The Bangkok Post reports that nine suspects were arrested on Tuesday in coordinated raids in Bangkok, Saraburi, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi. In total, police recovered 390 boxes, with 100 Favipiravir pills contained per box, under the trademark Favir made by the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation. The consumer protection police superintendent, Neti Wongkularb, confirmed that the gang had sold the medication online. The drugs had originally been acquired […]

The story Police seize Covid-19 antiviral drugs allegedly stolen by hospital manager as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Shocking the amount of greed humans are capable of.  

Maybe have security and CCTV in the pharmacy at the hospital ? Maybe a CCTV camera or 2 being monitored at the loading dock or where ever the drugs are received at a hospital.

Interesting how more and more countries are finding that antiviral drugs are affective against covid.  I guess all the "conspiracy theorists" and "science deniers" may have been right all along.

27 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

Interesting how more and more countries are finding that antiviral drugs are affective against covid.  I guess all the "conspiracy theorists" and "science deniers" may have been right all along.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but it's not an antiviral Covid19 drug and the article is again inaccurate.

T-705 exists some 8 years already and is not at all very effective against Covid, but it is sometimes used in a cocktail of drugs as there's nothing better yet for patients in moderate to serious condition in hospital. Then doctors will try what they can. Molnupiravir will hopefully improve on that, but even that is only 50% effective.

The types of products that conspiracists and science deniers advocate are different things altogether and some not even meant for humans. That's a whole different category.

The medical profession is not at all against "treatment" if it is available and effective.

Until then we have the vaccines.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but it's not an antiviral Covid19 drug and the article is again inaccurate.

Thanks for the heads up Bob.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, Bob20 said:

T-705 exists some 8 years already and is not at all very effective against Covid, but it is sometimes used in a cocktail of drugs as there's nothing better yet for patients in moderate to serious condition in hospital. Then doctors will try what they can. Molnupiravir will hopefully improve on that, but even that is only 50% effective.

The types of products that conspiracists and science deniers advocate are different things altogether and some not even meant for humans. That's a whole different category.

The medical profession is not at all against "treatment" if it is available and effective.

Until then we have the vaccines.

A simple google search shows that this drug is being used/studied for COVID in several areas of the world.  I will not comment on the effectiveness not to upset the moderators.

As for the "other" drug i believe you might be referencing (Joe Rogan?), those are not animal pills but and very much meant for humans.  Many doctors are prescribing these treatments "off label" in the USA as well as Japan, India, and several other counties.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

A simple google search shows that this drug is being used/studied for COVID in several areas of the world.  I will not comment on the effectiveness not to upset the moderators.

As for the "other" drug i believe you might be referencing (Joe Rogan?), those are not animal pills but and very much meant for humans.  Many doctors are prescribing these treatments "off label" in the USA as well as Japan, India, and several other counties.  

Yes, being studied and found to be hardly effective, therefore not recommended for use in Covid patients by the manufacturer. It's used in cocktails of drugs as long as there's nothing better. That's not going to upset the mods. Incorrectly claiming that it's effective Covid medication might.

And no, when you mentioned conspiracists and science deniers, I am thinking of things like ivermectin. Now that we should not discuss further here.

I think you should not make the serious error to assume that, while some doctors will try unproven methods as a last resort, the data from that empirical use signifies nothing more than "anecdotal evidence" in the absence of consensus on scientific data.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:34 PM, ExpatPattaya said:

Shocking the amount of greed humans are capable of.  

Maybe have security and CCTV in the pharmacy at the hospital ? Maybe a CCTV camera or 2 being monitored at the loading dock or where ever the drugs are received at a hospital.

Nothing unusual, back in 2012 a number of hospital staff around the country were busted for importing billions of pseudoephedrine tablets from China, then on-selling to drug gangs for manufacture of Ya-Ba. Do a search on 'cold pills scandal spreads'.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:22 PM, Bob20 said:

Yes, being studied and found to be hardly effective, therefore not recommended for use in Covid patients by the manufacturer. It's used in cocktails of drugs as long as there's nothing better. That's not going to upset the mods. Incorrectly claiming that it's effective Covid medication might.

i would say this is a highly misleading statement and leave it at that

6 hours ago, MrNovax said:

i would say this is a highly misleading statement and leave it at that

You mention "google search" and "study" but never produce anything. Read the FG's, you're supposed to substantiate claims. 

Favipiravir is not specific Covid treatment, it's repurposed antiviral influenza medication that has some benefit in some patients (according to early studies) and is used in a cocktail of medicines because nothing better was available. That will soon change when Mulnopiravir becomes widely available.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:34 PM, Bob20 said:

You mention "google search" and "study" but never produce anything. Read the FG's, you're supposed to substantiate claims. 

Well, i was given a stern warning by the mod's when i tried to refer to specific information.  Evidently you can make all the claims you want if it goes with the narrative but if you state something against the narrative then speech will be shut down.