Lost Thai Passport - wants to travel to UK.

Chaimai

It is likely that a British friend will need to return to the UK quite quickly as his mother is unwell. 

His Thai wife has just submitted a UK visa application and that should take the standard 15 working days.

One issue has arisen surrounding their young son who hold British and Thai passports. He has a current British passport but his current Thai passport was recently lost. He is aware that a police report is needed and then they can apply for a new Thai passport. That process should take little more than a week.

However, should the situation arise where he is called back urgently to the UK (and his wife has received her UK visa but the Thao passport has not been received) could the son travel Thailand/UK and UK/Thailand on his British passport ? I am aware that he would just be stamped in for 30 days Visa Exempt - but the Thai passport will be awaiting his return.

I was just a little concerned about the reaction at check in (the usual advice for dual nationals is out on Thai passport and back in, enter/exit UK on British passport) - and also with immigration........he would be stamped out on a foreign passport that has no entry stamp/TM6.

Am I over-thinking this one?

Come in Faz!  🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaimai said:

It is likely that a British friend will need to return to the UK quite quickly as his mother is unwell. 

His Thai wife has just submitted a UK visa application and that should take the standard 15 working days.

One issue has arisen surrounding their young son who hold British and Thai passports. He has a current British passport but his current Thai passport was recently lost. He is aware that a police report is needed and then they can apply for a new Thai passport. That process should take little more than a week.

However, should the situation arise where he is called back urgently to the UK (and his wife has received her UK visa but the Thao passport has not been received) could the son travel Thailand/UK and UK/Thailand on his British passport ? I am aware that he would just be stamped in for 30 days Visa Exempt - but the Thai passport will be awaiting his return.

I was just a little concerned about the reaction at check in (the usual advice for dual nationals is out on Thai passport and back in, enter/exit UK on British passport) - and also with immigration........he would be stamped out on a foreign passport that has no entry stamp/TM6.

Am I over-thinking this one?

Come in Faz!  🙂

In a situation like this I'd call the government assistance line on 1111 and ask for an immigration expert/official.

I've used this service with good results and when I faced a nightmare returning home to Thailand after being stuck in Japan for 9 months they were helpful to my wife and understanding when she gave them sh+t.

I hope this helps and all works out for you and your family.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Your correct out/in Thailand on Thai Passport, in/out UK on UK Passport.
Any other combination would raise an issue in Immigration status.

From what you've stated if his wife has just applied for  UK Visitor Visa, it shouldn't be a problem to get the son a new Thai Passport while waiting for her application to be processed.

List of Passport offices;
Updated Thai Passport Office Lists (Oct 2021) :: AXA Thailand

In the event your friend has to return as an emergency, it would be advisable for his wife and son to follow at a later date once she has the Visa and the son a Thai Passport.

• Like 3