Thaiger Talk Quiz #006 - Weather in Thailand

KaptainRob

Hurray, at last a subject that more than interests me, with the often severe twists & turns that Isan weather can take.

5/5 no less, but the record lowest temp had me thinking, since I recall having a feint hoar frost on the grass at our place, near Sak-Nak in either 2015 or 16 and huddling around the brushwood fire till well after sunrise, although I understand that that condition occurs at a degree or so above 0C.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Hurray, at last a subject that more than interests me, with the often severe twists & turns that Isan weather can take.

5/5 no less, but the record lowest temp had me thinking, since I recall having a feint hoar frost on the grass at our place, near Sak-Nak in either 2015 or 16 and huddling around the brushwood fire till well after sunrise, although I understand that that condition occurs at a degree or so above 0C.

That lowest temperature question was a real doozy. Didn’t realise Sakhon Nakhon was the coldest part of Thailand… must be a tad chilly there in January, KC 😁

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

12 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

That lowest temperature question was a real doozy. Didn’t realise Sakhon Nakhon was the coldest part of Thailand… must be a tad chilly there in January, KC 😁

Yes, those 2015/16 Januarys were quite an education, being so much colder than I ever would have believed a near-equator region would experience.

I've dug out the British TV Channel 4 weather man's explanation of the grass or hoar frost that I mentioned:

'However, because the ground cools quicker than the air around a metre above, it is possible for a ground frost to occur without an air frost.

Mind you, even the air at 1.8 metres was enough to make my nose run 🥶!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, those 2015/16 Januarys were quite an education, being so much colder than I ever would have believed a near-equator region would experience.

I've dug out the British TV Channel 4 weather man's explanation of the grass or hoar frost that I mentioned:

'However, because the ground cools quicker than the air around a metre above, it is possible for a ground frost to occur without an air frost.

Mind you, even the air at 1.8 metres was enough to make my nose run 🥶!

Interesting that the northern winter of 15/16 was exceptionally cold statistically. I live in the northern hemisphere too of course, but every darn winter seems as cold as the last one!

Interesting that the wheat and grain harvest in 2016 was the largest ever across the northern hemisphere. I wonder if there is a link there. 🧐

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Interesting that the northern winter of 15/16 was exceptionally cold statistically. I live in the northern hemisphere too of course, but every darn winter seems as cold as the last one!

Interesting that the wheat and grain harvest in 2016 was the largest ever across the northern hemisphere. I wonder if there is a link there. 🧐

I'm sure there is and I recall reading, a time or two, that a hard winter is good for the coming growing season. Maybe something to do with it killing more of the harmful bugs that lurk in the soil 🤔.

• Like 2