News Forum - Chinese law to limit homework and tutoring pressure on kids

Thaiger

It’s been a common trope that Asian students keep their nose to the grindstone with long school hours, after school study, and mountains of homework. But China is taking action to address the stress of both homework and off-site tutoring in core subjects by passing a law requiring local governments to regulate these “twin pressures”. According to official Chinese news agencies, the new law aims to reduce the twin pressures that students face to promote a healthier lifestyle. The full text of the law has yet to be published, but the essential basis of it is to place responsibility on […]

The story Chinese law to limit homework and tutoring pressure on kids as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

USA would be have better students than China, but schools are bogged down by parentless children (mainly the blacks).  They recently got rid of standardized testing, GT classes, and failing grades in the name of "equity" whatever that means.  

• Like 1

I saw a doc by Michael Moore recently, in which he reported that Finland had abolished homework for kids, and were still able to produce among the best academic standards in the world. Maybe the Chinese have the right idea?

But to go off topic, come election time, there are usually two types of campaigns. One is "This is how WE are going to the job better than THEM". The other is, "If you don't vote for US, the OTHER side is really going to hurt YOU. 

Just for once, I'd like to be able to vote for a party that says, "We haven't got all the answers, but if you vote for us, we will send fact-finding missions all over the world to look at the best models available to understand how they work with a view to duplicating them here". 

Does it ever to occur to anybody to wonder why, Australia had 30 straight years of growth until covid struck? Or why Japanese live 3 years longer than Brits? Or why crime is so low in Denmark? Or why the Swiss can make their railways run on time? Or why so many EU countries offer free or low-cost University Education?

If they can do it, why can't others?

I was taken back when some Thai people I know here who had their kids in a constant school.  It just amazes me how some people think school/studying is the way to make it.  Forget about perseverance, passion and determination.  That’s why it’s “Designed in California and made in China”.  I did just fine as a C student with a fraction of the studying that goes on here.

Edited by Craig
Added the word who

5 hours ago, Craig said:

I was taken back when some Thai people I know here who had their kids in a constant school.  It just amazes me how some people think school/studying is the way to make it.  Forget about perseverance, passion and determination.  That’s why it’s “Designed in California and made in China”.  I did just fine as a C student with a fraction of the studying that goes on here.

But surely not as well as an A+ Asian student?

Lincoln sat around the fire at night in his 1 room  log cabin while his mother complained vigorously to get off his cell phone and make more advances on his studies!

Here lies the problem 🎓📱

Edited by riclag

I note the same for Asian students in my country and also Indian students. The pressure from parents to get into high end professions is enormous. These children have no life, no balance. I have seen some commit suicide rather than face their parents if they fail. This is a good move to bring back a balance that was there years ago and vanished because of the chase for a bigger and supposedly better life.