News Forum - Dusit Poll: Thailand is not ready for international reopening

Thaiger

A new poll from Suan Dusit Rajabhat University expresses the majority opinion that Thailand is not ready for a reopening to international tourism. The Suan Dusit Poll was conducted October 11 to 14 with 1,329 people from all over Thailand responding online. The poll was conducted to gauge the people of Thailand’s feelings about PM Prayut Chan-o-cha announcing that the country would undertake a large reopening on November 1, less than 2 weeks from now. When the poll administers asked respondents the more vague question of if Thailand is ready to reopen to international travellers without any quarantine requirement, and […]

The story Dusit Poll: Thailand is not ready for international reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Good article. For all the criticism PM Prayut gets I would not want to be in his shoes. Or for that matter any of the worlds leaders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For any poll to be taken seriously, you'd have to look at how randomly it was conducted without favour to any group to bias the poll. However, I can't find any link to the poll itself.

That being said, for whatever the results are worth, I am really pleased that the results would indicate that the Thais share the view that it's too early to open up.

If only the government would listen, as they appear to be delaying things by saying one thing and doing another anyway. If the pole is reasonable accurate and the government is intentionally delaying matters with difficult regulations that very few tourists would accept, then they actually in principle have the population behind them for once. They could just be honest instead of political.

But perhaps the minority of those who want the country open are the ones with influence...

Would be nice to be clear that the country opens up later. Help the people that are struggling, vaccinate as much as possible and stop making things difficult for tourists, as even those jumping through all the hoops will maybe find the border open but most things inside the country still closed.

• Like 4

The vaccines are not capable of preventing transmission.  We see this clearly from the Israeli and Singapore examples where vaccination rates exceed 80 percent. The only effective immunity we see so far is natural immunity … used in conjunction with therapies like Ivermectin.  Look to India and the states of Uttar Pradesh. Do not look to the west … here in the US, the vaccine response is politically driven 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good grief - no-one will be coming because no-one knows how - why is that not sinking in ? Just pause for a second, following the recent government announcement, there is not a single person on planet earth who knows how to get into Thailand after November 1st.

Further, there are not millions of people bags packed at the airport waiting for the green light. It isn't going to happen. So everyone can stop fretting now.

Further further  - that is such a tiny sample in a country of 70 million - how many bar girls were surveyed in this ? 😃

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I do love opinion polls. Have you ever seen the skit from the series "Yes Prime Minister" about surveys? Watch it. Apart from being hilarious, it's contains a lot of home truths about surveys. In any case, I can see some validity, even though the sample is so small. I think if the Thaiger did the same survey there would be far more respondents!!! (Albeit with a definate bias of the demographic The Thaiger has).

I understand the hesitancy in the survey results. Interestingly, the least threat comes from overseas tourists. Remember that to even enter Thailand, they must be fully vaccinated and had a negative PCR test (the best available), before being allowed to travel. So international arrivals aren't really the issue here (in fact they bring income which the whole country, particularly tourist related industries desperately need).

The greatest difficulty at the moment is the low rate of vaccination in the rest of the country (in part due to supply of quality vaccines). Tourist areas have been given priority for vaccination. It's everywhere else that is fearful and for good reason. I absolutely agree that only tourist areas that have achieved 80% double dose vaccination should be opened. For the rest of the country...only open at 80% double dose. 

Any attempt to drop mask wearing prior to that is a mistake. Protections need to remain until 80% double dose is achieved. To open safely and permanently, a gradual opening will be a permanent opening. Shortcuts won't work. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Good grief - no-one will be coming because no-one knows how - why is that not sinking in ? Just pause for a second, following the recent government announcement, there is not a single person on planet earth who knows how to get into Thailand after November 1st.

Further, there are not millions of people bags packed at the airport waiting for the green light. It isn't going to happen. So everyone can stop fretting now.

Further further  - that is such a tiny sample in a country of 70 million - how many bar girls were surveyed in this ? 😃

Of course you're right, just different wording from my post.

In another world a government might have helped the ones in need.

Here the ones with deep pockets probably prevent that from happening.

And the government acting as to appease big money with tales of opening up, whilst delaying as much as possible because they know full well it would be a disaster if they really made it simple.

And then I'm being generous...

• Like 1

Well if any problem how would it come from fully vaccinated and doubled tested tourists whom will give back a hope for a better living to millions, guess majority of the Thai people whom were interrogated are not following what is going on in the world, countries whom many people are not following the basics of protection, masks, distanciation... and do not fully wish to be vaccinated are only ones now getting some problems

Edited by Patnou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Good article. For all the criticism PM Prayut gets I would not want to be in his shoes. Or for that matter any of the worlds leaders.

555 He’s head of the ruling class ! He’s a cinch to get the PM seat again ,unfortunately!  He’ll brush off the negative publicity .

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, riclag said:

555 He’s head of the ruling class ! He’s a cinch to get the PM seat again ,unfortunately! 

Nearly the head, but not quite !

3 hours ago, Patnou said:

Well if any problem how would it come from fully vaccinated and doubled tested tourists whom will give back a hope for a better living to millions, guess majority of the Thai people whom were interrogated are not following what is going on in the world, countries whom many people are not following the basics of protection, masks, distanciation... 

Because while they're not going to be the one's spreading Covid, they're going to be the one's who drive the moves to lift restrictions on everything that minimises Covid spreading if tourism is to return: travel, bars, mixing, parties, concerts, masks, etc.

Edited by Faz
baiting comment removed.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patnou said:

... countries whom many people are not following the basics of protection, masks, distanciation... and do not fully wish to be vaccinated are only ones now getting some problems

... so the ones who want to be vaccinated effectively but haven't been yet aren't "getting some problems"?

Really?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

For any poll to be taken seriously, you'd have to look at how randomly it was conducted without favour to any group to bias the poll. However, I can't find any link to the poll itself.

That being said, for whatever the results are worth, I am really pleased that the results would indicate that the Thais share the view that it's too early to open up.

If only the government would listen, as they appear to be delaying things by saying one thing and doing another anyway. If the pole is reasonable accurate and the government is intentionally delaying matters with difficult regulations that very few tourists would accept, then they actually in principle have the population behind them for once. They could just be honest instead of political.

But perhaps the minority of those who want the country open are the ones with influence...

Would be nice to be clear that the country opens up later. Help the people that are struggling, vaccinate as much as possible and stop making things difficult for tourists, as even those jumping through all the hoops will maybe find the border open but most things inside the country still closed.

If they would help the many struggling I would fully agree. But the sad point they not care about or even listening to the people or their struggles.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, riclag said:

555 He’s head of the ruling class ! He’s a cinch to get the PM seat again ,unfortunately!  He’ll brush off the negative publicity .

And as I read your quote the Nation channel in the background says that the government popularity is 40.7% 21.2% against and 38.1% undecided so he could easily lining up for a 3rd term. Not too impressed with his opposition. But the one a truly feel sus about is Anutin.

The Thais have a saying about escaping the Tiger but running into the Crocodile. Guess it applies to politics. 

• Like 2

Yep, opening. Sure. I have already done two 14 day ASQs. I plan to go to Thailand again in January. Now things are more confusing than before. I'll just wait. And my family is in Thailand. Can you imagine someone just wanting to go on vacation? Sheesh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Of course you're right, just different wording from my post.

In another world a government might have helped the ones in need.

Here the ones with deep pockets probably prevent that from happening.

And the government acting as to appease big money with tales of opening up, whilst delaying as much as possible because they know full well it would be a disaster if they really made it simple.

And then I'm being generous...

But it’s not simple or difficult - it’s impossible so it doesn’t matter who they’re trying to appease, they will very shortly see through it ! 

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

But it’s not simple or difficult - it’s impossible so it doesn’t matter who they’re trying to appease, they will very shortly see through it ! 

Yup, after stalling and twisting and turning as long as they can. But you can start to see different people and organisations slowly starting to speak up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

To call it "reopening" is an exaggeration anyway, just look at the "new" flowchart Thailand Pass.

I haven’t seen the new flowchart for Thailand pass. Would you be a lamb and post it please. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yetanother said:

doesnt matter ,current thai govt stopped listening to thai citizens a Long time ago

Don’t think they ever listened for many hundreds of years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

What part isn't understood or isn't obvious and common sense?

Where did the member say they didn’t understand anything? Again you are just looking to pick holes and create a problem when there isn’t one. You need to be stoped in your tracks. You are so negative and dangerous to this forum. I intend to report your post and would urge others to do so as nothing more than argumentative. You need to be removed as you simply want to cause problems instead of engaging in debate. Tone it down or leave. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

... so the ones who want to be vaccinated effectively but haven't been yet aren't "getting some problems"?

Really?

IGNORE: ARGUMENTATIVE POST 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riclag said:

He'll need a toilet brush for that.