News Forum - Singapore allows vaccinated travellers from 8 countries to enter starting Tuesday

Thaiger

Singapore’s Vaccinated Travel Lane scheme has approved travellers from 8 different countries to enter the country without quarantine as long as they are vaccinated. So far, around 2,400 people have been approved to enter under the new guidelines. The application process commenced last Wednesday, with travellers being officially allowed to enter this Tuesday. Such countries that made the list include the US, UK and France. British citizen Daniel Emlyn-Jones was recently approved to enter under the scheme. He says he is travelling in December for a holiday and says the new scheme makes it less expensive to travel to Singapore. […]

The story Singapore allows vaccinated travellers from 8 countries to enter starting Tuesday as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

20 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

British citizen Daniel Emlyn-Jones was recently approved to enter under the scheme ...

Well it must be good then  ... 😂

21 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

new Vaccinated Travel Lanes plan is extremely popular for travellers from the UK. Since the application opened, nearly 1,000 approvals have been issued to British visitors. The pass is also popular amongst French and Americans, as well. But of those entering the country under the pass, only 30% are tourists visiting the country for a short period of time. The rest are either student or employees on such long-term visas.

So in reality 70% of those "visiting" are "either students or long term employees" ... makes you wonder how many are actually in the market for a holiday in the Far East ...

• Haha 1

What's with the continuous sub-standard reporting?

Eight countries and then naming 3 or 4. What's so difficult in naming all 8? I'd understand if there were 100... but 8?

Same with the list of 5 or 10 countries for Thailand. Even if you're copying from another paper, just do a little work instead of only copy and paste!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

8 different countries t

Ah, lucky Chinese number 8. Thailand should go for 88, (if TAT could decide.)

This is not for 'normal' tourists visiting Singapore - it is for returning Singaporeans who go to certain other countries.

"As part of Singapore’s efforts to reopen our borders safely, fully vaccinated Singapore Citizens (SCs) and Permanent Residents (PRs) departing for Singapore from the following countries may return via the Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) to enjoy quarantine-free measures on return to Singapore."

Vaccinated Travel Lane (SC/PR) (ica.gov.sg)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dick said:

What a useless article. What are the eight countries mentioned in the headline? This is not even sub-standard journalism; it is a waste of people's time. 

Personally I wouldn't judge the journalist in the same manner, but each to their own opinion. In the full article they do provide a link to all that information, including countries and conditions. Just click on the hyperlink "Vaccinated Travel Lanes" in the 4th paragraph. 

Here is that link as well to assist you.

https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/sc-pr/vtl

Looks like a no win situation for the journalist. Give all the detail and be criticised for making the article too long or out of date if they change the rules again or provide the link to the full information as they have done and be criticised for not enough detail.

Part of the job I suppose.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 2:16 PM, AussieBob said:

This is not for 'normal' tourists visiting Singapore - it is for returning Singaporeans who go to certain other countries.

"As part of Singapore’s efforts to reopen our borders safely, fully vaccinated Singapore Citizens (SCs) and Permanent Residents (PRs) departing for Singapore from the following countries may return via the Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) to enjoy quarantine-free measures on return to Singapore."

Vaccinated Travel Lane (SC/PR) (ica.gov.sg)

That is incorrect. Singapore is open for travellers of 11 countries (8 newly added), not just returning citizens or permanent residents.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/2409-travellers-from-eight-countries-approved-to-enter-spore-under-vaccinated#:~:text=Applications had opened at 10am,on or after Oct 19. 

Please note that I had a flight going into the sandbox scheduled to depart LAX on Oct. 18 and arriving in Singapore on Oct. 20. They didn't notify those of us flying there until today. After waiting an hour on hold to get a customer service rep this is what I got. Per Singapore Airlines customer service (spoke to two separate agents) and Singapore's own website "Canada and the USA: Only the Smart Health Card (SHC) format issued by Canada or the USA on the Common Trust Network are accepted (starting 19 Oct 2021)"

If you look at the SHC or Common Trust Network sites, only 100 million U.S. residents are covered by that system, which leaves out more than 2/3's of the U.S. population (329.5 million). My state doesn't participate in the program and neither did my large grocery chain and associated pharmacy where I got vaccinated (they do have a digital QR code, but it isn't SHC). My only recourse was to get a refund from Singapore Airlines and will wait 6 weeks for it. I had to book a new flight through the middle east and fly on a prayer that the COE doesn't need updated per it's 72 hours notice about not needing a change if a flight is delayed or cancelled.

No, I’m still not gonna make my reservation at Odette just yet. The entry rules are still complicated if you look it up, and one must board only the particular approved flights to arrive in Singapore, ridiculous. 

16 hours ago, HiuMak said:
16 hours ago, HiuMak said:

That is incorrect. Singapore is open for travellers of 11 countries (8 newly added), not just returning citizens or permanent residents.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/2409-travellers-from-eight-countries-approved-to-enter-spore-under-vaccinated#:~:text=Applications had opened at 10am,on or after Oct 19. 

Thanks @HiuMak - I stand corrected.  What I said was based on this:  https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/sc-pr/vtl   which said it applies only to returning Singapore citizens and residents.  I should have realised that a place like Singapore would be careful and cautious, and would make clear and consistent media releases all from a single organisation (and no Pollies sticking their fat heads in the media).  Singapore has just last week extended the VTL for returning residents/citizens, to become the VTP (Pass) for selected tourists and visitors from selected countries - those with high vaccination rates and those with 'trustworthy' procedures in place for those vaccinated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Thanks @HiuMak - I stand corrected.  What I said was based on this:  https://safetravel.ica.gov.sg/sc-pr/vtl   which said it applies only to returning Singapore citizens and residents.  I should have realised that a place like Singapore would be careful and cautious, and would make clear and consistent media releases all from a single organisation (and no Pollies sticking their fat heads in the media).  Singapore has just last week extended the VTL for returning residents/citizens, to become the VTP (Pass) for selected tourists and visitors from selected countries - those with high vaccination rates and those with 'trustworthy' procedures in place for those vaccinated. 

Maybe Singapore do not have a fan fare party like Thailand with Andrea Bocelli to make this awareness.  Bilateral travel without quarantine is the way to go, not just one way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Maybe Singapore do not have a fan fare party like Thailand with Andrea Bocelli to make this awareness.  Bilateral travel without quarantine is the way to go, not just one way.

The wife and I have always planned to spend a decent time in Singapore - we have stayed a few days while on the way to Thailand. Singapore is definitely looking likely as an option early next year - and then do a few days in Thailand seeing the family/friends.  We are both vaccinated etc. but if either of us does get Covid I would hate to be caught in outback Thailand (or even Bangkok) with all the number of cases still going on. The medical system in Singapore would be so much better than the overwhelmed one in Thailand - and they dont have a travel insurance scam going - the insurance prices are reasonable. 

• Like 1

If you are a genuine tourist, I really don’t know what all the hurry is for.  I understand people wanting to travel to see family and for business. However, this seeming clammer to “get away” is just childish and irresponsible. By April next year (5 months time) the world will be in much better shape. Just enjoy your own country. If European, go skiing in Europe or have a winter break in southern Italy or Greece. Use your time to do something different. God help us if we had a world war again and bombs were dropping on our heads for best part of 5 years 😔

• Like 1