News Forum - BREAKING: Vaccinated travellers from 10 countries allowed to enter without quarantine starting November 1

Thaiger

12 hours ago, Bernhard said:

According to Reuters "Visitors from at least 10 countries including the United Kingdom, Singapore, Germany, China and the United States will be exempted from quarantine on arrival, Prayuth said in a televised speech. More countries will later be added to the list, he said".

Good, Germany is on the list. We will see...

China is not “encouraging” it’s citizens to travel, which in effect means they cannot, if they did they are faced with 3 weeks quarantine on return and 7 Covid tests (+3 before flying back to China as well). They aren’t coming for a short holiday.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

It will be interesting to see what this really means?  He says “I have asked the CCSA to urgently consider within this week”. So it’s not deal done yet. There is also the question of what this means in terms of COE and Covid insurance etc.

Agreed, lots of speculation flying around, without known facts.

The 'Sandbox' is currently referred to as a 'non quarantine' destinations for vaccinated tourists.
Does it merely mean the same entry conditions will apply across Thailand.

Currently 2 PCR tests are required, the PM suggests only 1 will be required from Nov 1st.
So, you'll still have to hole up in a hotel room somewhere until that test result is returned.
I don't foresee any changes to entry requirements other than possibly the time spent in a hotel, although I suspect the 7 night requirement will remain in place.
In other words all of Thailand will become a glorified 'Sandbox'.

I'm also speculating, let's wait for further announcements.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

The 'Sandbox' is currently referred to as a 'non quarantine' destinations for vaccinated tourists.

Currently 2 PCR tests are required, the PM suggests only 1 will be required from Nov 1st.
So, you'll still have to hole up in a hotel room somewhere until that test result is returned.
I don't foresee any changes to entry requirements other than possibly the time spent in a hotel, although I suspect the 7 night requirement will remain in place.

The report I read (so I am also speculating) is that tourists would be free to travel anywhere in Thailand after the test on arrival.

From Prayut:-  “I have instructed the CCSA and the Ministry of Public Health to urgently consider within this week to allow, as of 1st November, international visitors to enter Thailand without any requirement for quarantine if they are fully vaccinated and arrive by air from low-risk countries. Visitors will need to show that they are COVID-free at their time of travel with an RT-PCR test undertaken before they leave their home country, and do a test in Thailand".

That is the only way to open up the country.

43 minutes ago, Thaindrew said:

China is not “encouraging” it’s citizens to travel, which in effect means they cannot, if they did they are faced with 3 weeks quarantine on return and 7 Covid tests (+3 before flying back to China as well). They aren’t coming for a short holiday.

I guess one benefit is that Thai guy 👑who mostly lives in Germany will be able to travel back more often now🥴

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leeshard said:

I fail to see how that poses an additional risk of spreading covid-19. But I’m open to suggestions.

Oh, god. Now you're going to let the "But the vaccinated can still catch and transmit COVID" crowd out.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Faz said:

The Sandbox, notable in the speech for having exactly nothing said about it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Many people have complained vociferously about the damage to the economy from a tight Covid policy.

..... and according to all the available evidence and all the polls (ALL) many more believe very strongly that the "tight Covid policy" has never been "tight" enough.

Look at other countries and how they have opened up.

What "other countries"?

Name any that are in a similar position to Thailand in terms of hospitalizations, Covid cases and deaths (genuine figures or fudged), economy, and geography that have "opened up".

Any at all.

The only/main failure was being slow off the mark with the vaccine rollout - now rapidly catching up.

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

The failure to impose any form of genuine lockdown and restrict travel, and to directly encourage travel over Songkran directly resulting in the current wave of deaths and hospitalisations and the spread of Covid across the country aren't "failures"???

... and "rapidly catching up" with who???

Half the country aren't vaccinated at all, and of the third that are fully vaccinated most have been vaccinated with one or both doses of Sinovac.

• Like 2

faz,yep this is good news so far as to what might be going on.i sure hope they drop the insurance and coe. the insurance is stopping lots of folks from returning.i know quite a few older guys,''my self included'' that  the insurance is stopping.haveing to buy two types  for an  o/a visa,the 100,000 usd plus the thai 400,000and the 40,000 in and out hospital insurance is around  $3,000 usd to $3500 usd.thats the rate for guys over 74.thats  quite a bit  seeing as most already have insurance from their home country.its just so far thai is not accepting it.so im waiting on details,hopeing this will be dropped as well.chock dee everyone.

Anyone who is serious about having a jab has had one and many people in my area have had two.

That may well be the case in Phuket or Pattaya, or wherever you and @Rip255 live, maybe even Buri Ram, but it's outrageously untrue for the rest of Thailand.

My province (Loei) stopped all vaccinations for two months, and with the exception of the old and those who have serious health issues, and government staff and their families (nurses, health workers, police, teachers, civil servants, local government employees, etc) NOBODY in my district has had a vaccine or had the opportunity to have one.

NOBODY, and your comment is an open insult to them all.

Whilst people may point to only 50+% of Thais having one jab, and 30+% being fully vaccinated most of the unvaccinated are in more remote areas and are unlikely to affect tourists.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH (and I think I'm allowed to be that critical as you're a Gold member so I won't frighten you away).

In my district we have thousands of tourists a day in high season - November through to January / February, and several hundred a day for much of the rest of the year.

Literally thousands a day, and the district only has a population of some 20,000.

Those are nearly all Thai tourists, with the very occasional expat domestic tourists, but the same relaxed rules for tourism will apply and they are now to be encouraged to travel with government incentives.

Apart from those above (the old, government staff, etc), NONE have been vaccinated even with a single dose of Sinovac and NONE are likely to be fully vaccinated this year.  That means that apart from the tour guides and the few government staff, NONE of those who interact with the thousands of tourists every day will be fully vaccinated.

39 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

From Prayut:-  “I have instructed the CCSA and the Ministry of Public Health to urgently consider within this week to allow, as of 1st November, international visitors to enter Thailand without any requirement for quarantine if they are fully vaccinated and arrive by air from low-risk countries. Visitors will need to show that they are COVID-free at their time of travel with an RT-PCR test undertaken before they leave their home country, and do a test in Thailand".

That's no different to the current Sandbox scheme, other than only 1 PCR test on arrival, rather than the current 2 tests. Meanwhile what happened to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi and Chon Buri opening to vaccinated tourist on Oct 15th, or is it to these 5 Provinces the PM is referring to.

Let's not get carried away, it's only under consideration at this time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

image.png.c8766da56c47f609141a44d25426111d.png

WHY?

The tourists have been vaccinated so what do they have to worry about?

Even if they catch Covid they're likely to be asymptomatic so unlikely to be tested and for it to affect their holiday.

If they're unduly "worried" they also have the choice not to come here.

Half the Thais, on the other hand, are completely unvaccinated and of the third that are vaccinated most have been vaccintaed either partly or fully with Sinovac which is ineffective against the Delta variant which is predominant.

If they catch Covid, whether from the tourists or from Thais who are taking advantage of the more relaxed rules and encouragemnt to travel, they're likely to be symptomatic, quarantined, and lose time off work, unpaid, at best, or to be hospitalized and die at wost.

They have no choice about whether to be here or not, nor do they have a choice about working and trying to live as normal a life as possible or earning a living.

So, PLEASE, would you explain why the "vaccinated tourists" should be worried more than the "unvaccinated Thais"?

2 hours ago, Leeshard said:

So unvaxed Thai’s still live amongst other unvaxed Thai’s. Suddenly a fully vaxed up, negative PCR tested tourist arrives. I fail to see how that poses an additional risk of spreading covid-19. But I’m open to suggestions.

50 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Oh, god. Now you're going to let the "But the vaccinated can still catch and transmit COVID" crowd out.

I was going to avoid repeating that as it's got a bit tedious, and just repeat that:

"The problem, as I've tried to explain several times as have several others, isn't the individual foreign tourists spreading Covid (although obviously they're no less likely to than anyone else) but the TOURISM they bring with them and need: bars, nightlife, travel, relaxed rules on masks and social distancing, etc.

Everything that's directly responsible for the spread of Covid."

I was then going to ask:

"What part of that don't you agree with or understand?

That's not being argumentative but a genuine question, as you either don't understand or you don't accept it, and I genuinely can't understand why not."

But even that's got a bit tedious, as no-one who keeps suggesting that tourism is completely harmless seems able or willing to answer that.

Ho hummm .....

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

So, PLEASE, would you explain why the "vaccinated tourists" should be worried more than the "unvaccinated Thais"?

If I am fully vaccinated and you are not, and I have to explain it to you why I should be more worried of you than you of me, I don't think I can bring the logic of it down down low enough to a level you could comprehend. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smithydog said:

It will be interesting to see if the Chinese authorities lift all restrictions on Chinese Tourists departing China, including lifting passport restrictions. 

https://en.nia.gov.cn/n177/n5610/c93596/content.html

Does the Thai PM know something in advance?

There are 38m+ passport holders anyway. Hardly matters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

There are 38m+ passport holders anyway. Hardly matters.

It probably does matter for those who have the deepest bug up their arse regarding anything/everything China and Chinese - for they have little else in their lives.

5 minutes ago, Rain said:

It probably does matter for those who have the deepest bug up their arse regarding anything/everything China and Chinese - for they have little else in their lives.

True.

The yellow man is coming!! Boo!!

22 minutes ago, Rain said:

When you say bug and China in the same sentence you get me worried. Don’t tell me they’ve let Covid-21 out of that lab now? 😱😱

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Poolie said:

True.

As long as he isn’t carrying another Chinese sourced world pandemic causing virus, he’s welcome. 

• Cool 1

15 minutes ago, Poolie said:

True.

Perhaps some of us are just more accepting of general people regardless of where they come from and hope they get the opportunity to travel and visit countries when restrictions imposed by Governments are lifted.

It is sad that some seem indoctrinated into a single viewpoint and perhaps having a belief structure that includes being taught to project it at all costs. Perhaps if given the good fortune and richness to see and understand other cultures, they may be given a chance to display less of a one sided viewpoint.

No single culture offers everything, nor does one offer nothing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bob20 said:

...THB/EUR... after the announcement 

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 21.59.04.png

It is funny to see that even though it is just words that have been spoken and yet nothing set in concrete that it has effected the exchange rates.

1.00 US Dollar =

33.469436 Thai Baht

while yesterday before he spoke the exchange rate was 1.00 US Dollar to 33.86 Thb, a drop of almost a half of a baht per USD, or 500Thb less for every 1k exchanged.

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

China is already one of the 10 - one of the 5 he named - as is Singapore.

Widely reported, and already noted in this thread.

Sorry  my bad. Are the Chinese allowed out now to play?

3 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

There is a striking similarity but we don't close the economy each year in the flu season.

How can there be a "striking similarity" between Covid and flu in Thailand when more have died from Covid here every day (frequently every afternoon) for several months than have died of flu in previous years?

Maybe you need to get your "facts" straight before making these sort of comments.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rain said:

Care to explain in regular words

1 hour ago, Faz said:

That's no different to the current Sandbox scheme, other than only 1 PCR test on arrival, rather than the current 2 tests. Meanwhile what happened to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi and Chon Buri opening to vaccinated tourist on Oct 15th, or is it to these 5 Provinces the PM is referring to.

Yes it is:-

In the initial phase, Thailand will allow fully vaccinated travelers from at least 10 low-risk countries, including China, Germany, Singapore, the UK, and the USA. The list will be expanded from 1 December, and further enhanced to a very extensive list from 1 January.

Under the plan, fully vaccinated foreign visitors from the approved countries will need to show that they are COVID-free at their time of travel with an RT-PCR test undertaken before they leave their home country, and do a test in Thailand, after which they will be free to move around Thailand in the same way that any Thai citizen can do, the Prime Minister said.

Let's not get carried away, it's only under consideration at this time.

Come on Faz...this is not a TAT employee saying this...it is Prayut.

He is TELLING the CCSA and the Ministry of Public Health to implement. 

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Name any that are in a similar position to Thailand in terms of hospitalizations, Covid cases and deaths (genuine figures or fudged), economy, and geography that have "opened up".

Any at all.

UK