Thailand remains on UK red list. (SEE UPDATE, now OFF red list)

Faz

Wednesday 6th October.

LONDON: Britain dropped its advice against all but essential travel for 32 countries and territories on Wednesday as it continued to simplify its coronavirus travel regime after progress in fighting Covid-19 across the world.

The change will allow people to travel more easily to destinations such as Algeria, Malaysia and Senegal as many travel insurance firms exclude cover for places where the government advises against travel, the Foreign Ministry said.

Britain recently replaced its so-called traffic light system with a single red list and has reduced testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers.

The government is still advising against all but essential travel for scores of countries and territories on its red list which include Brazil, Mexico, South Africa and Thailand.

"The FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand based on the current assessment of Covid-19 risks," the ministry said on the website.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2193911/uk-drops-advice-against-non-urgent-travel-to-32-destinations-thailand-still-on-red-list 

• Like 1

I don't think that the above is very good reporting.

I think that the 6th Oct report is about dropping the travel advice to 32 destinations.

The next review about Thailand being on the red list is due today or tomorrow.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/red-list-countries-mexico-south-africa-thailand-come-off-next-travel-update-uk-review-1233206

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fluke said:

That could change though, as the U.K Gov is due to update its Red/R.O.W list either today or tomorrow 

That was published by the UK on 6th, yesterday, so you think the UK government will update it again today ??

7 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I think that the 6th Oct report is about dropping the travel advice to 32 destinations.

The next review about Thailand being on the red list is due today or tomorrow.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/red-list-countries-mexico-south-africa-thailand-come-off-next-travel-update-uk-review-1233206

The FCO will know  full well what the statements for the updated red lists will be.

6 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Yes, this department are advising people not to visit Thailand because its on the U.K's Red list , this is not a report in the actual Red list .

I think someone at the Bangkok Post is getting confused .

"The FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand based on the current assessment of Covid-19 risks," the ministry said on the website."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

That was published by the UK on 6th, yesterday, so you think the UK government will update it again today ??

That report was by the FCDO and they just giving travel advice and that isnt an update on the Red/List. 

The Red list hasn't yet been updated from three weeks ago and a new one is due either today or tomorrow 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

That report was by the FCDO and they just giving travel advice and that isnt an update on the Red/List. 

The Red list hasn't yet been updated from three weeks ago and a new one is due either today or tomorrow 

And you think the FCO work independently of other departments on these matters ? OK maybe they do but logic should not cloud your judgement on probabilities.

6 minutes ago, gummy said:

The FCO will know  full well what the statements for the updated red lists will be.

There are completely separate things . 

The F.C.O previously warned against travelling to 117 Countries , even though only 52 Countries were on the Red list and yesterday they reduced that number .

The F.C.O will make updates in the next few days and if Thailand comes off the Red list, the F.C.O will probably take them of its list of suggesting travelers do not to there . 

• Like 2

Just now, Fluke said:

There are completely separate things . 

The F.C.O previously warned against travelling to 117 Countries , even though only 52 Countries were on the Red list and yesterday they reduced that number .

The F.C.O will make updates in the next few days and if Thailand comes off the Red list, the F.C.O will probably take them of its list of suggesting travelers do not to there . 

Keep dreaming pal, keep dreaming

Just now, Fluke said:

Try reading and finding out facts .

What facts would they be exactly ?  Or is it the fact you ave no understanding of the UK internal workings, rather you are just optimistic that by some reasoning Thailand will come of the red list to facilitate the easier return to the UK for you. By the way 3 weeks ago you stated you were returning to the UK  but awaiting the outcome of work negations, 2 weeks ago you were asking about which cities to stay in Istanbul, Cairo or Athens to facilitate an easier return. Many of us are awaiting your feedback on that, but making the presumption that Thailand will remain on the read list today what have you decided  because I guess there may well be a few others here in a similar situation so perhaps your insights could help them.

58 minutes ago, Fluke said:

That could change though, as the U.K Gov is due to update its Red/R.O.W list either today or tomorrow 

A review was expected today Thursday 7th, apparently it happened yesterday 6th.

They scrapped the regular 3 weekly reviews last month, the previous review being on Sept 17th.
Don't expect any further reviews for a month or so, or until change within the remaining red listed Countries.

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

What facts would they be exactly ?  Or is it the fact you ave no understanding of the UK internal workings, rather you are just optimistic that by some reasoning Thailand will come of the red list to facilitate the easier return to the UK for you. By the way 3 weeks ago you stated you were returning to the UK  but awaiting the outcome of work negations, 2 weeks ago you were asking about which cities to stay in Istanbul, Cairo or Athens to facilitate an easier return. Many of us are awaiting your feedback on that, but making the presumption that Thailand will remain on the read list today what have you decided  because I guess there may well be a few others here in a similar situation so perhaps your insights could help them.

Me, I rejected the new contract offer and decided to go and live in London , will be going back soon via Egypt , just waiting to the Red list update , then I can fly directly if Thailand comes off the list . 

Due to announce the Red list 5 PM tonight, UK time 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Me, I rejected the new contract offer and decided to go and live in London , will be going back soon via Egypt , just waiting to the Red list update , then I can fly directly if Thailand comes off the list . 

Wishful thinking waiting for a change to the red list. Look at todays figures of infections and deaths -- they ain't goin down, and I'm sure UK has a very good understanding of Thai Govt mathematics.

Proably best to head for a country that isn't red listed, have a nice holiday for 14 days quarantine and then fly to Blighty.

3 minutes ago, palooka said:

Wishful thinking waiting for a change to the red list. Look at todays figures of infections and deaths -- they ain't goin down, and I'm sure UK has a very good understanding of Thai Govt mathematics.

Proably best to head for a country that isn't red listed, have a nice holiday for 14 days quarantine and then fly to Blighty.

Its been suggested that the U.K will cut its Red list from 52 Countries to just 9 , so theres the possibility that Thailand will change colour. 

Yes, I will be having a ten day holiday in Cairo if Thailand remains on Red , havent been to the Pyramids for a while 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Official announcement tonight, but I think the news has already broke.

18 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Well let's hope whatever the decision you can find away of going back at minimal expense. Did you receive the vaccine here by the way ? if not you will be able to get it shortly after your return. It must be quite sole destroying I guess to be here and living where you do where so little is open and from what you have said before, few friends.  I guess you have family back in the UK  so at least there will be better social interaction, and at least it is currently much more back to normal than many places. 

44 minutes ago, palooka said:

The numbers remain lower than the UK....ironic that. The vaccination programme is finally running at a decent pace .............and Thailand was not on the red list until the August review.... numbers have dropped since then.

https://scontent.fbkk6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/p526x296/244645098_10161287435548012_6516499348608912825_n.png?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_eui2=AeFKw6YxWB4h0qNWWZv5Eg1wylNfAx5RkWzKU18DHlGRbBAgkZ79HwfBWzUUxapsaxo&_nc_ohc=VJri5V1MTwcAX8o-jBn&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk6-1.fna&oh=397d669eaa04581512d24070a01b94fd&oe=61846791

Where I am in Bang Saray (most of the time) life is 'nearly normal'

We are deep red but you can get a drink in any restaurant. Last week 2 bars that had been closed re-opened and were openly selling alcohol. Last weekend the beach was teeming with visitors...... same for Jomtien and Bang Saen.

5 hours ago, Fluke said:

Why Egypt. You could go via Algeria or Senegal, each off the Red List.   555

2 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Why Egypt. You could go via Algeria or Senegal, each off the Red List.   555

Algeria doesnt let passengers in and to get to Senegal, you would have to change flight in Europe , France or Belgium and the flight takes a long time 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Algeria doesnt let passengers in and to get to Senegal, you would have to change flight in Europe , France or Belgium and the flight takes a long time 

I was joking, look 555!

Travel news latest: Dozens of countries to be removed from red list

The travel red list is set to be slashed today with South Africa, Mexico and Brazil among the destinations tipped for removal. 

As few as nine countries could remain in the category from which travellers are subject to a 10-day stay in a quarantine hotel at a cost of up to £2,285 per adult on arrival to the UK. 

Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, is due to deliver an update this afternoon, which follows the removal of 32 countries and territories from the Foreign Office advisory against all but essential travel due to Covid-19. 

Travel rules were relaxed on October 4 when the green and amber lists merged and pre-departure tests were scrapped for return to England. However, the plan to replace day two PCR Covid tests with cheaper lateral flow tests is causing rifts in the Cabinet and has yet to be given a launch date.

It is expected that a much reduced red list will remain, leaving England with one of the strictest travel policies in Europe. Willie Walsh, director general of the International Air Transport Association, said “It’s notable that some countries, such as Ireland, have decided to abandon hotel quarantine altogether and we would urge the UK to do the same”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/travel-update-announcement-review-red-list-rules-restrictions/

52 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Travel news latest: Dozens of countries to be removed from red list

The travel red list is set to be slashed today with South Africa, Mexico and Brazil among the destinations tipped for removal. 

As few as nine countries could remain in the category from which travellers are subject to a 10-day stay in a quarantine hotel at a cost of up to £2,285 per adult on arrival to the UK. 

Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, is due to deliver an update this afternoon, which follows the removal of 32 countries and territories from the Foreign Office advisory against all but essential travel due to Covid-19. 

Travel rules were relaxed on October 4 when the green and amber lists merged and pre-departure tests were scrapped for return to England. However, the plan to replace day two PCR Covid tests with cheaper lateral flow tests is causing rifts in the Cabinet and has yet to be given a launch date.

It is expected that a much reduced red list will remain, leaving England with one of the strictest travel policies in Europe. Willie Walsh, director general of the International Air Transport Association, said “It’s notable that some countries, such as Ireland, have decided to abandon hotel quarantine altogether and we would urge the UK to do the same”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/travel-update-announcement-review-red-list-rules-restrictions/

All speculation and no actual news