How much insurance for an OA visa?

Spengler

My understanding was that I needed Bht 400k/40k inpatient/outpatient cover

But, on the Thai Embassy London website, requirement is listed as:

• Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

Yes, when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa (and currently also for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement) at the London Thai Embassy, you need that mandatory 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance.

ON TOP OF THAT you would need - as EVERYBODY currently returning to Thailand -  also the 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance for the whole period for which you will be stamped in on entry (i.e. a full year for the Non Imm O-A Visa, and 3 months for the Non Imm O Visa). 

That's for Covid Insurance cover only.

It looks like an error and omission on the Embassies part, but it should also state 400/40K Health Insurance is required (same as the Non O-X Visa).

1. Applicants must have Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

I would email the Embassy about the omission.

If there had been any change to the Non O-A requirements, we would have heard about it already.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Yes, when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa (and currently also for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement) at the London Thai Embassy, you need that mandatory 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance.

That requirement is omitted on the London website for the Non O-A.
Non-Immigrant visas - Royal Thai Embassy, London

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

An obvious mistake from the London Thai Embassy, as the 400K/40k health-insurance is mandatory for any Non Imm O-A Visa application.

Exactly.

• Like 2

So if I am intending to use Emirates as the (free) provider of my $100k covid cover, I need to buy my flight BEFORE submitting my OA visa application?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spengler said:

So if I am intending to use Emirates as the (free) provider of my $100k covid cover, I need to buy my flight BEFORE submitting my OA visa application?

That insurance won't work. You need to have COVID coverage for the entire period of your stay. With a non-Imm OA that defaults to a year. The Emirates policy is only for 31 days. You can get a US$100K policy for both health and COVID. This covers both requirements as long as the certificate explicitly covers COVID. But, it won't be free.

• Like 1

BlueSphinx stated:

When booking a return-ticket with Emirates, they provide 250.000 US $ covid-19 insurance FREE, so you could book such a return-ticket with return date 1 year after arrival (as the insurance must cover the full period of the permission to stay you will be stamped in for)”

So is it only 31days or is 1year possible? Anyone know for sure?

• Like 1

This from the Emirates website:

Your cover is valid for the duration of your return trip (or up to 365 days after your departure date from your original country of departure, whichever is earlier).

If you’re flying on a one‑way trip, the cover ends 48 hours after you arrive at your final destination. Cover for emergency medical expenses and overseas quarantine allowance expire 31 days after arriving at your final destination.

3 hours ago, Spengler said:

This from the Emirates website:

Your cover is valid for the duration of your return trip (or up to 365 days after your departure date from your original country of departure, whichever is earlier).

If you’re flying on a one‑way trip, the cover ends 48 hours after you arrive at your final destination. Cover for emergency medical expenses and overseas quarantine allowance expire 31 days after arriving at your final destination.

I stand corrected. The page I found was for one-way travel. Sorry for my stupidity... So, yes if you have a return flight booked then you're covered for 365 days from departure. If only one-way then the 31 days is the limit.

Edited by JamesE
tyoo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spengler said:

Yes.

You'll also need to pre purchase the mandatory 400/40K Health Insurance for the Visa application.

• Like 1