News Forum - Delivery of Moderna Covid-19 vaccine pushed back to November

Thaiger

A day after the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation said the first doses of the Moderna vaccine would arrive this month – earlier than planned – it turns out they won’t. According to a Bangkok Post report, Zuellig Pharma, authorised distributor of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine says delivery of the first batch has had to be postponed to November, as originally planned. The GPO has government approval to procure alternative vaccines for distribution to private hospitals, with the agency signing the Moderna contract in July of this year. The distributor says it had been preparing for an early October delivery but changes […]

The post Delivery of Moderna Covid-19 vaccine pushed back to November appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Big surprise 🥴

Though I am pleased that, like AZ, the pharmaceutical companies now come out to contradict incorrect statements.

Yes I think it is pretty telling now that even international companies with contracts with Thailand are openly correcting the lies that this corrupt and incompetent administration continues to put out. 

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Yes I think it is pretty telling now that even international companies with contracts with Thailand are openly correcting the lies that this corrupt and incompetent administration continues to put out. 

These companies are usually the benchmark of reliability, supplying medication to the world. Might it have something to do with delayed or non-payment perhaps? Everyone had to pre-pay the hospitals, and the hospitals had to pre-pay the government (who wouldn't place the order until they received the money). Perhaps the "paperwork" isn't quite done yet?

If they can't even get it right for the free Pfizer donation, who knows what happened with something they received the funds for already...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

UK and other countries look at things like this when considering Red list classification. So no chance of anything changing to Thailand's big RED stamp then.

• Like 3

maybe the Thai government is waiting to pick this batch up on the cheap.

"Japan’s Takeda Pharmaceutical—which distributes the Moderna shot in Japan—on Friday blamed “human error” as the cause of metal contaminants that were found in some batches of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine which led to the withdrawal of 1.63 million doses of the mRNA shot from Japan in August."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2021/10/01/human-error-caused-contamination-of-moderna-vaccines-in-japan-distributor-takeda-says/?sh=72229b7a1a42

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

These companies are usually the benchmark of reliability, supplying medication to the world. Might it have something to do with delayed or non-payment perhaps? Everyone had to pre-pay the hospitals, and the hospitals had to pre-pay the government (who wouldn't place the order until they received the money). Perhaps the "paperwork" isn't quite done yet?

If they can't even get it right for the free Pfizer donation, who knows what happened with something they received the funds for already...

Right now the demand for all vaccines is very high and supply issues are well-documented. AstraZeneca was blasted both in Europe and Thailand already six months ago because they were failing to reach the numbers that they signed for in supply contracts.

Supply issues are also the reason why these Moderna shots were "promised" for no sooner than October in the first place, and already back then it was explained that the initial supply would be scarce and that there wouldn't be additional deliveries until next year.

The blame is partly on Thailand as well since they were very late in negotiating for deliveries, so most of the near future supplies have already been earmarked for other nations.

Edited by THETRUTH
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, THETRUTH said:

Right now the demand for all vaccines is very high and supply issues are well-documented. AstraZeneca was blasted both in Europe and Thailand already six months ago because they were failing to reach the numbers that they signed for in supply contracts.

Supply issues are also the reason why these Moderna shots were "promised" for no sooner than October in the first place, and already back then it was explained that the initial supply would be scarce and that there wouldn't be additional deliveries until next year.

The blame is partly on Thailand as well since they were very late in negotiating for deliveries, so most of the near future supplies have already been earmarked for other nations.

Absolutely. I posted several times that it was promised for 1 January-31 March, with no guarantees as by then payment wasn't made yet and everyone relied on the GPO.

It's just more of the same. When the government says 152.9m doses by the last quarter, it means 31 December.

If Moderna says the vaccines arrive in the last quarter, the government reports claim it to be 1 October.

Anything to blame another party and  draw the attention away from themselves.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

UK and other countries look at things like this when considering Red list classification. So no chance of anything changing to Thailand's big RED stamp then.

No trip home just yet then... 😔

Well, I have to say that I am truly a genius! (short bow taken)

I recall earlier this year thinking to myself that I should reserve and pay for a couple of Moderna shots, then I said to myself "Is there any chance that the government will allow/not screw up these doses to be delivered? No, that would fly in the face of all my experience in country."

Then, I thought to myself that "the government has a financial interest in seeing many people take AZ", so I thought that I would sign up for that. Lo and behold! I am double-dosed with AZ. And, I'll get a Moderna booster in the new year.

Maybe, just maybe, after several decades I am getting the hang of this country.

Ha! Ha! Ha! I sometimes say the darndest things...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Shade_Wilder
Apeltinj
  • Haha 2

“The distributor says it had been preparing for an early October delivery but changes were made to the delivery schedule that were beyond its control”

555 Bs, Judging by news events including everything Svax ,Azvax,Sinopharmvax and Pvax and very little news coverage of Mvax ,the enthusiasm of the GOVT to procure this vax was non existent imop! 

It was purposely avoided ,to promote their drug of choice! And not the fault of the drug maker Imop.

According to the BKKPost some Mvax subscribers are looking for a refund because the spread of the poison  and no mvax ,caused them to take other vax and the promise of the private hospitals delivery date not being met .

Some complaints on Social Media were    directed to the Red Cross wanting to profit by distributing it.

My family  is still hiding out waiting for the proper vax !

My wife thinks it will  be delayed again!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2191371/october-delivery-of-moderna-still-possible

1 minute ago, riclag said:

“The distributor says it had been preparing for an early October delivery but changes were made to the delivery schedule that were beyond its control”

555 Bs, Judging by news events including everything Svax ,Azvax,Sinopharmvax and Pvax and very little news coverage of Mvax ,the enthusiasm of the GOVT to procure this vax was non existent imop! 

It was purposely avoided ,to promote their drug of choice! And not the fault of the drug maker Imop.

According to the BKKPost some Mvax subscribers are looking for a refund because the spread of the poison  and no mvax ,caused them to take other vax and the promise of the private hospitals delivery date not being met .

Some complaints on Social Media were    directed to the Red Cross wanting to profit by distributing it.

My family  is still hiding out waiting for the proper vax !

My wife thinks it will  be delayed again!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2191371/october-delivery-of-moderna-still-possible

Sorry to hear that. I know many more in that situation.

Keep searching online for walk-ins and also look at the webpages of local hospitals.

A walk-in is what got me my 2*Pfizer (from a tip on this forum).

And only after my first "walk-in" jab, I was notified by expatvac to get my first jab through them... So don't wait, look around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Absolutely. I posted several times that it was promised for 1 January-31 March, with no guarantees as by then payment wasn't made yet and everyone relied on the GPO.

It's just more of the same. When the government says 152.9m doses by the last quarter, it means 31 December.

If Moderna says the vaccines arrive in the last quarter, the government reports claim it to be 1 October.

Anything to blame another party and  draw the attention away from themselves.

Your last paragraph says it all !

The Govt procurement of any vax was a disaster . Their preference for the  vax of which they could profit from could be a award winning if there was a contest titled “push money making vax for officials who have a vested financial interest “ .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Sorry to hear that. I know many more in that situation.

Keep searching online for walk-ins and also look at the webpages of local hospitals.

A walk-in is what got me my 2*Pfizer (from a tip on this forum).

And only after my first "walk-in" jab, I was notified by expatvac to get my first jab through them... So don't wait, look around.

I got a call back in August from the Private  that I originally signed up to receive the Mvax for myself and family ,offering only me access to the Pvax ,150 km away! So I chose that and gave my vax to another family member, when it arrives.

These circumstances prompt My wife and daughter always say to me ,Welcome to Tooieland 

• Haha 1

A number of off topic posts, quotes and replies have been removed.

The topic is about the supply of vaccines, not the reliability of the vaccines.
Members have been previously warned to keep discussions of the viability of the vaccines out of the News sections.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I wonder if the supply problems would stop if Thailand's production license from AZ could actually be used for Thailand to produce vaccines for itself? At least AZ has given licence to other countries to produce it's vaccine. Can't say the same for any other vaccine out there. Certainly not Pfizer or Moderna.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hmmm, I wonder if the supply problems would stop if Thailand's production license from AZ could actually be used for Thailand to produce vaccines for itself? At least AZ has given licence to other countries to produce it's vaccine. Can't say the same for any other vaccine out there. Certainly not Pfizer or Moderna.

They all have more than one licensed production site.

And Thailand should get 3.5m doses AZ if they are at full production capacity. Otherwise probrata and the rest is exported.

I'll add an EMA link, but it's applicable worldwide.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/increase-vaccine-manufacturing-capacity-supply-covid-19-vaccines-astrazeneca-biontechpfizer-moderna

12 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I recall earlier this year thinking to myself that I should reserve and pay for a couple of Moderna shots, then I said to myself "Is there any chance that the government will allow/not screw up these doses to be delivered? No, that would fly in the face of all my experience in country."

Then, I thought to myself that "the government has a financial interest in seeing many people take AZ", so I thought that I would sign up for that. Lo and behold! I am double-dosed with AZ. And, I'll get a Moderna booster in the new year.

Maybe, just maybe, after several decades I am getting the hang of this country.

Alternatively, you didn't want to  pay 3,000 baht for the possibility of a Moderna vaccine this year, and grabbed an AZ vaccine at the first opportunity when like many of us who simply waited our turn you could have been double-jabbed with Pfizer for free by now.

12 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Well, I have to say that I am truly a genius! (short bow taken)

If you say so ...

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Hmmm, I wonder if the supply problems would stop if Thailand's production license from AZ could actually be used for Thailand to produce vaccines for itself?

As has been explained countless times before, it was a condition of the agreement that a quantity of supplies were to go overseas.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

At least AZ has given licence to other countries to produce it's vaccine. Can't say the same for any other vaccine out there. Certainly not Pfizer or Moderna.

As has also been explained countless times before, this is 100% incorrect.

AZ hasn't "given" anyone anything, but has sold the rights to production.

Other manufacturers, including both Moderna and Pfizer / BioNTech, have authorized other companies to produce their vaccines, free, during the pandemic.

I'm sorry if this sounds blunt, but I've got tired of correcting this and giving the links everytime you or someone else repeats the fallacy.

11 hours ago, riclag said:

.....My wife and daughter always say to me ,Welcome to Tooieland 

Probably way off topic, in which case I apologise, but I'm lost by this and missing the significance.

"Tooie" is a name, like Anne, so why "Tooieland" instead of Thailand, or Anneland instead of England?

Again, apologies if this is off topic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bob20 said:

No trip home just yet then... 😔

Maybe soon. As you will know, the traffic light system is now either Red or Green. So it’s either a Go/No-go list. The list is being updated soon but I’m not sure Thailand will be in the Green Go list. Hopefully end of the month or early November 👍🏻 

21 hours ago, riclag said:

These circumstances prompt My wife and daughter always say to me ,Welcome to Tooieland 

I am in full agreement with stonker here, we must know more about this word "Tooieland". It is a new one to me, so is it purely a local expression or even a family one.? 

Come on riclag ask the ladies please. 

• Haha 1