The demise of the Non Imm O ME Visa.

Faz

There was a time not to long ago in the distant past, where the Non Immigrant multiple entry Visa was available at a number of Thai Embassies for a number of reasons, including retirement.

Sadly over time this Visa type is no longer offered at most Thai Embassies, or only available for the purpose of visiting Thai family/spouse.

One of key attractions of this Visa type was it’s long validity and multiple entry features.
It’s valid for 1 year from the date of issue to enter Thailand.
Each entry permits a stay of 90 days.
It’s multiple entry so you could come and go more or less as pleased throughout the year.

For those with a Thai spouse it was particular appealing for oil rig workers regularly visiting between shift rotas, those who travelled frequently or those staying in Thailand on a permanent basis without going through the bureaucracy of applying for 1 year extensions of stay at local Immigration offices.

Of course due to the current Covid situation and closed borders it’s an unworkable choice, even if you could obtain it, but the good news is that when borders do reopen, this Visa type is available from the local Thai Consulate in Lao and the Thai Embassy in HCMC (Ho Chi Minh City) without any proof of financial requirements (unlike the 1 year extensions of stay offered at Immigration offices) for reason of visiting Thai spouse.

I’ve often read of foreigners with such Visa types doing border runs every 90 days and renewing the Visa again every 12 months after it’s validity is coming to an end – if that was you, your missing the potential that this visa can offer in conjunction with Thailand's internal Immigration policies and in fact you can stay in Thailand for up to 150 days on each entry before making that border run and stay for almost 17 months with only 3 border runs before applying for a new Visa.

How? - you're going to ask, so let me explain.

Firstly section 2.24 of Immigration Bureau order 327/2557 permits any foreigner entering Thailand to visit Thai family/spouse to extend their stay for a further 60 days in addition to any permission of stay granted on entry. The application for such 60 day extension is 1,900 baht.
327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf
In a nutshell a 90 day entry can be extended by a further 60 days to 150 days, for each 90 day entry, so no border run required for 150 days, then a further entry for another 90 days permission of stay.

The validity of a Visa is different and also independent from the permission of stay granted on entry, meaning you can enter Thailand on the last day of a Visas validity and still receive permission of stay for a further 90 days.

A practical example of the above and how to stay in Thailand for almost 17 months, with only 3 border runs on a Non Imm O multiple entry Visa;

Enter Thailand, permitted a stay of 90 days, extend for a further 60 days to 150 days. (1,900 baht). Total days in Thailand 150 days before making your first border run.

Re-enter, permitted a stay of a further 90 days, extend for a further 60 days. (1,900 baht).
Total stay in Thailand now 300 days, before making your second border run.

Re-enter, permitted a further stay of 90 days, however at this point you need to check the expiry date of your Visa. I recommend you make a 3rd border run the day before your Visa expires, which could be less than 60 days since your previous run, but provided your Visa is still valid, on re-entry you’ll be permitted a further stay of 90 days (even though the Visa may expire the next day). Extend for a further 60 days (1,900 baht).

Total stay in Thailand, 510 days approximately, subject to how soon you entered after the Visa issue date, before having to apply for a new Visa.

Further information on Visa types, Thai Immigration and Thai Laws here:
> Visas, Long Stay, Extensions, Re-entry Permit - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

Did you previously obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa or do you intend to obtain it again once borders reopen and more importantly, were you aware of the potential to stay in Thailand almost 17 months, with only 3 border runs and 3 x 60 day extensions of stay?

• Like 7

Thanks for the informative post - in answer to your question  - I've no used to Non Imm ME visa in the past but will be doing once travel is easier.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you Faz for setting this out very clearly.

Another advantage of using the 60 day extensions is that you can, potentially, reduce the rate at which you use up the pages in your passport.  This will vary depending upon where you apply for your visa and what country you use to do your border bounce.  One of my pet hates is full page stick in visas so I try and avoid those where possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not expecting this visa class to make a comeback unfortunately. I think the powers that be will take the opportunity the pandemic provides for a reset in this area and do away with this class of visa altogether.

That's my reasoning for taking out a conventional Non-Imm O (retirement), mainly for the peace of mind it offers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NumbNut said:

I'm not expecting this visa class to make a comeback unfortunately. I think the powers that be will take the opportunity the pandemic provides for a reset in this area and do away with this class of visa altogether.

For those Countries where Thailand has introduced the online E-Visa application service, this Visa type is now only available in single entry format.

However, there are many foreigners residing in Thailand with Thai family/spouse, that simply can't meet local Immigrations requirement to extend their stay and for that reason, I feel the Non Imm O ME will continue to be offered from the above two mentioned local destinations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Still offered at my nearest embassy. I will be getting a new one next month.

As per the norm, all depends on where ya go.