Australia approves Chinese Sinovac for travellers

KaptainRob

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australian-regulator-approves-chinese-covid-jab-sinovac-for-travellers-20211001-p58wdj.html

More than 80,000 Chinese international students are set to be allowed back into Australia when international borders reopen after the country’s top drug regulator recommended approving the Sinovac vaccine for travellers.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the decision by the Therapeutic Goods Administration was a “major milestone” that would allow authorities to determine international travellers as being appropriately vaccinated. He said it did not mean that the vaccine would be approved for local immunisations.

“Declaring certain COVID-19 vaccines as ‘recognised vaccines’ is separate to a regulatory decision on whether they are approved for use for vaccination in Australia, which has not been made by the TGA,” he said.

“This is enormously welcome news which means valued international students can return safely and promptly. It also means a very important first step in reviving international education which of course contributes more than $31 billion to the Australian economy,” she said.

MONEY is the reason why do they not just come out and say that.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, palooka said:

MONEY is the reason why do they not just come out and say that.

Yes

Dual pricing 

International students pay up to 400 per cent more than Australians when it comes to higher education. The reason, according to former neuroscientist Peter Osborne, has nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with enforcing national privilege.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/ockhamsrazor/why-are-international-students-charged-high-fees/6908188

• Like 1

Well that is a big mistake unless they all get a 3rd jab and quarantine. So much for the bad relations. I guess the almighty Aussie dollar is god.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billywillyjones said:

more covid bs in australia... locking down the population then letting in all the sinovaxed...

Doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Doesn't make any sense.

Well, it does if you are millions of dollars in the hole if you don't do it.  It makes sense from a financial standpoint.

Have to agree it doesn't make much sense from a public health standpoint.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Well, it does if you are millions of dollars in the hole if you don't do it.  It makes sense from a financial standpoint.

Well on the other hand with the heated relations these students will probably have to be very very careful when out in public. I am thinking that they are extremely hated because of the Wuhan Covid and the CCP actions.

The questions I have are: 

Will they have to complete 'COE type applications'?  

Will they have to undergo a PCR test on arrival and then another 1-2 a week later?

Will they each have to undergo 7-14 days of quarantine in an approved facility/hotel?

Will they be placed in an 'approved hotel/facility' if they sit next to someone that tests positive?

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

I think Australia's try to get the jump on NZ for the 'student income'.  NZ is likely the preferred country due to poor Aus/Cn politics and both countries are looking at ways to derive much needed income with relative safety.
Given China's mandatory health checks/apps etc I'd suggest they are a safer bet than any  other group.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

China is not allowing its citizens to travel (for good reason imho) so how are they going to get there?

Chinese Students looking to go overseas are being looked at by the Chinese Govt as a separate issue. The general public are 'locked down', but certain groups are being looked at for exemptions.  Students will not be going and then coming back to China some weeks later - they stay for many months.

• Like 1

My teacher friend has informed me the Chinese have basically told all online foreign teachers including thousands of Australians to f off they won't be allowed to teach Chinese students online anymore and this joker Morrison welcomes Chinese students back into Australia?

2 hours ago, billywillyjones said:

My teacher friend has informed me the Chinese have basically told all online foreign teachers including thousands of Australians to f off they won't be allowed to teach Chinese students online anymore and this joker Morrison welcomes Chinese students back into Australia?

Yep, that's the way it goes.

The Australians call the Chinese from a pig to a dog, but then expect a hatful of money for their trouble.