Who could have guessed???

JamesE

So opening delayed for BKK where a huge vaccination campaign took place.

But still on track for earlier opening in new "experimental" areas where virtually nobody had a jab yet.

Makes sense... 🤔

• Like 3

Sensible move by the authorities. It is best to be very flexible with this ever changing  covid spicy cough.

It would stupid to not adjust plans as the situation changes.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Sensible move by the authorities. It is best to be very flexible with this ever changing  covid spicy cough.

It would stupid to not adjust plans as the situation changes.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Not sure if your post is meant tong-in-cheek.

But what would really make sense is not to make ridiculous plans until things are very well prepared in the first place.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

December 1 for me - just in time for the XMas 'rush'.

They should, of course, not set a date. They should set a minimum 75-80% full vaccination limit, nationwide.

And 2 weeks later they can open the country without sacrificing their own population!

• Like 2

This is one of those chicken/egg things. If you're (probably) going to have an outbreak anyway, do you focus your effort on making sure the tourists don't contribute to it or do you try to keep the tourists separate from it? As much as we criticize (in many cases, rightly so) the ethereal sloppiness of the various schemes that come and go like the tide, the government has managed to start doing things. I'm not defending their efforts but while everything was heading for the crapper they managed to test a couple of safe-tourism options. By and large the visitors were not carted off to Devil's Island to finish their isolation and they did get good hard numbers on what exactly (Sandbox or Sealed Route) the traveling public was willing to endure. In many instances it was like the clown car just pulled up to the drive-through window with conflicting messages and imperial pronouncements but progress is being made.

I'm in complete agreement with @Bob20 from a project management viewpoint this has been a CF of biblical proportions but from a Thai viewpoint it's been Wednesday. So I can deal with the changes in rules, the hope balloons being sent aloft only to be shot down, and the hassles and uncertainty of navigating the visa and CoE process. That's just the way it is.

But I'd really like to know why all of the international airlines seem to have forgotten how to run airlines. I mean, really. Just today, my S.O. and I have suffered through four different flight changes - and we're not even traveling together.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

They should, of course, not set a date. They should set a minimum 75-80% full vaccination limit, nationwide.

And 2 weeks later they can open the country without sacrificing their own population!

No No No. His Lord (the PM) said 120 days and we must do that no matter what, or he will lose face. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

No No No. His Lord (the PM) said 120 days and we must do that no matter what,

But if at first he don’t succeed, try try again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But if at first he don’t succeed, try try again.

Latest story I heard is that the opening of Bangkok has been delayed until the second week of October. And guess when that 120 days the PM stated occurs - 14th October !!  He (and they) are determined to make him look good and not to lose face. He (and they) are desperately trying to avoid the embarrassing headlines coming his way. But instead of "PM's prediction again turns to mud" now it will be "PM more concerned about how he looks, than the welfare of the people".  Politicians in the west learned long ago to never make predictions, because they can so easily be caught out by the media - now they say "I don't answer hypotheticals".  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AussieBob said:

No No No. His Lord (the PM) said 120 days and we must do that no matter what, or he will lose face. 

My mind is not what it used to be, but I don't recall the PM actually stating when the clock started. Others around him and in the media assumed it was from when he made his statement but maybe that's not what he was thinking. Actually, from the Thai Embassy in the US he is further quoted as: “The only exception will come if a truly serious situation arises or seems likely to emerge [emphasis added]. We will monitor and deal with such situation on a case-by-case basis.” There's a bit of wiggle-room there.

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

My mind is not what it used to be, but I don't recall the PM actually stating when the clock started. Others around him and in the media assumed it was from when he made his statement but maybe that's not what he was thinking. Actually, from the Thai Embassy in the US he is further quoted as: “The only exception will come if a truly serious situation arises or seems likely to emerge [emphasis added]. We will monitor and deal with such situation on a case-by-case basis.” There's a bit of wiggle-room there.

He stated it very clearly in a speech on Wednesday 16th June - PM Prayut announces Thailand will fully reopen within 120 days | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)    +120 days is 14th October exactly.    I have an eye for detail 😁

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

He stated it very clearly in a speech on Wednesday 16th June - PM Prayut announces Thailand will fully reopen within 120 days | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)    +120 days is 14th October exactly. 

But more importantly …. On July 28th 2021 ….

The Thai PM says the country’s worst Covid-19 outbreak since the start of the pandemic should be over in 2 or 3 weeks, maybe 4. The Bangkok Post reports that Prayut Chan-o-cha was addressing a Cabinet meeting yesterday and has instructed all relevant agencies to keep the public updated on the ongoing crisis.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-thailand/thai-pm-predicts-current-covid-crisis-will-be-over-in-2-or-3-weeks-4-at-the-most

Hey it’s over, this is all a dream …….. 😵💫😵💫😵💫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

The Thai PM says the country’s worst Covid-19 outbreak since the start of the pandemic should be over in 2 or 3 weeks, maybe 4. The Bangkok Post reports that Prayut Chan-o-cha was addressing a Cabinet meeting yesterday and has instructed all relevant agencies to keep the public updated on the ongoing crisis.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-thailand/thai-pm-predicts-current-covid-crisis-will-be-over-in-2-or-3-weeks-4-at-the-most

To paraphrase a former US president: "It depends on what the meaning of 'over' is." If the "worst outbreak" gets worse does that mean it's over? If so, he was right.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Yeh - I forgot that one. Wht are we all worried - the PM said it is all good. Move on people - nothing to see here - all good - move on 😁