EVA vs JAL?

HappyExpat

I've been itching to get back to see family on the west coast (San Francisco and Seattle) and have been watching EVA for some time. Round trip BKK to SFO has held steady at a little more than twice what it used to cost pre-Covid.

For grins and giggles, I searched Japan Airline, and their prices are lower than EVA before Covid.

Both comparisons based on round trip business class in early December, midweek departing and returning.

Any ideas why such a lower price? How about quality of JAL vs EVA?

EVA was always my go-to pre-COVID. However, Taiwan has been closed for so long (since May 19) and EVA has been changing their routing to the West Coat (they're only selling to/from LA) so EVA has been silling flights that end up not going for one reason or another (but they are good at giving your money back...). When I've looked at JAL and ANA they've always been more expensive than EVA (I typically go Premium Economy) so haven't tried them. Both seem to have had good reviews but the service on EVA, the flights out of SEA, and their great lounges made it a no-brainer. My guess on the pricing is just COVID competition. Most international airlines are staying aloft right now on the strength of air-freight and passenger service is at whatever minimum level will keep the routes open.

9 hours ago, HappyExpat said:

I've been itching to get back to see family on the west coast (San Francisco and Seattle) and have been watching EVA for some time. Round trip BKK to SFO has held steady at a little more than twice what it used to cost pre-Covid.

For grins and giggles, I searched Japan Airline, and their prices are lower than EVA before Covid.

Both comparisons based on round trip business class in early December, midweek departing and returning.

Any ideas why such a lower price? How about quality of JAL vs EVA?

JAL seems to have newer planes than EVA

Service on both is fine.

My wife likes the airport in Taipei(she likes it's small) I prefer the Japanese airports

If JAL is much cheaper, I would absolutely book that because there aren't much different, IMO

• Thanks 1