Return to Thailand

BikerJohn

First thanks for the good advice and informations here.
My old Retirement Visa has expired. I wish to go back to Thailand in November, Phuket Sandbox.
I want to apply at the Thai Embassy for OA Visa. I have 800000,- THB on a account in Thailand for several years, and know I must have the following too:
SHA plus hotel, PCR tests, Covid-19 insurance, 400000/40000 in/out patient insurance and a return flight ticket. I have no plan for return.
After 2 weeks in Phuket I will go to the Immigration Office, near the place I will stay for a longer time (years) in Thailand, and apply for a Retirement stamp.
I have some questions:
Is it ok to book a return flight ticket for 90 days and a Covid-19 insurance for 90 days too, and before the 90 days ended go to the Immigration Office and apply for a Retirement stamp?
Do I need to buy the flight ticket before apply for Visa at the Thai Embassy, or only write the flight no?
Thanks.

rules.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Biker John and welcome to Thaiger Talk.

Couple of points:

1. There is no such thing as a 'retirement' visa. Non Imm O-A Visa applied for based on retirement is the correct term.
2. No need for a return flight ticket.
3. You'd apply to extend your stay for 1 year at Immigration. (A permit, not a Visa)
4. To extend your stay based on entry from a Non Imm O-A Visa you'd need to provide evidence of having the 400/40K Health Insurance, but only from one of the approved tgia Insurers. Foreign Health Insurance policies would not be acceptable.

5. As you intend to stay permanently and apply for 1 year extensions based on retirement, why not apply for the Non Imm O Visa based on retirement, which does not require the mandatory Health Insurance for 1 year extension applications.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

5. As you intend to stay permanently and apply for 1 year extensions based on retirement, why not apply for the Non Imm O Visa based on retirement, which does not require the mandatory Health Insurance for 1 year extension applications.

Or the health screening for 19th Century diseases, or the criminal background check.

2 hours ago, BikerJohn said:

Do I need to buy the flight ticket before apply for Visa at the Thai Embassy, or only write the flight no?

Yes, you will need to submit proof of your flight for both the visa and CoE. But, really, @Fazis correct. The non-O (Retirement) is the way to go. You don't say where you're applying from but the photo you posted looks like you might be able to apply for the non-O directly. That saves you having to convert from a VE or TV entry and you'll just have to go to immigration when you apply for the extension of your existing visa.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Yes, you will need to submit proof of your flight for both the visa and CoE.

Correct, but only a one way flight needed, but he asked;

2 hours ago, BikerJohn said:

Is it ok to book a return flight ticket for 90 days

To which I replied

1 hour ago, Faz said:

2. No need for a return flight ticket.

👍

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the answers. 
For a O Visa i do not need a medical certificat and do not need a  criminal background check. Is that correct understand?
For how long time do I need to buy a Covid-19 insurance? 30 days- 60 days-90days-180days or 1 year?
I asked the Thai Embassy by e-mail how to get back Retirement and they answer back that I must apply for OA Visa.
I will send a e-mail again to the Thai Embassy and ask for the O Visa.
Thanks again

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BikerJohn said:

For a O Visa i do not need a medical certificat and do not need a  criminal background check. Is that correct understand?
For how long time do I need to buy a Covid-19 insurance? 30 days- 60 days-90days-180days or 1 year?
I asked the Thai Embassy by e-mail how to get back Retirement and they answer back that I must apply for OA Visa.
Thanks again

Correct.

The Covid insurance is required for the duration of your stay. My understanding is that in your case it will be 90 days ie the length of time that your permission to stay is stamped in for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BikerJohn said:

Hi John,
I'm assuming your of Spanish nationality and applying at the Thai Embassy. Madrid.
Having checked their website they only offer the Non Imm O Visa for the purpose of voluntary work and Thai family/spouse. For the reason of retirement, they only offer the Non Imm O-A Visa with all it's catches.

No problem, there is another way around this.
I recommend you apply for a Tourist Visa. On entry you'll be permitted to stay for 60 days, which you can extend for a further 30 days if required.
$100,000 Covid Insurance only required to cover 60 days.
You can apply to change the status of your Tourist Visa to a Non O at your local Thai Immigration office in Thailand as a prelude to applying for a 1 year extension based on retirement.

You will need to open a Thai bank account in your sole name and deposit 800K THB in it within 4 - 6 weeks of arrival. You must have at least 15 days (23 days at certain offices) left on your permission of stay to apply to change the status of your Visa to Non O.
Apologies just re-read you already have the 800K in a Thai bank account.

Procedure for applying for change of Visa status to Non O based retirement here:

VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf

• Like 3

Hi Faz and thank you very much.

Your right its from Spain, not Spanish nationality, only resident from the cold north.

I will apply for a Tourist Visa and follow your good advise.

Thanks to the other answers.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:42 AM, BikerJohn said:

Thanks again

Did answer the covid-19 insurance issue in full detail with all options in my 2nd PM to you.

Check out the stories today - the hospitals in Phuket are basically full of covid patients - may I suggest you go through Bangkok ASQ.  As an old bloke I know the realities of life - anyone can get hurt/sick and need a hospital - it never happens when you expect it - in fact it often happens when you least expect it, and sometimes when it could not be a worse time to happen.   

• Like 2

Regarding BikerJohn's possible return to the Kingdom....Thailand is gearing up for big expansion of 'open areas' starting October 1st....I think it would be prudent to see what changes are planned before trying to finalize your return details.  As my wife is a Thai national and we have our home in Chiang Mai, we are certainly waiting for exact details of return requirements starting in October.  The sooner, the better! Good luck on your return.  Cheers, Busqueezo

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 1:46 AM, Busqueezo said:

Regarding BikerJohn's possible return to the Kingdom....Thailand is gearing up for big expansion of 'open areas' starting October 1st..

Proposed...........nothing confirmed.

• Like 1