Improve HD movie viewing on your TV

KaptainRob

I just ordered a LAN to USB adapter like this -

image.png.92bdab46f8a629f71e0f931be7ca96b1.png

Tested on LG and Sony model TV's it should eliminate lag when viewing HD movies from sources such as PLEX. 

The standard TV network adapter is only 10/100 Mpbs which is usually fine for YouTube and browsing but if you already have a fast ethernet system into your house, the TV may be throttling certain video sources with UHD content.

Video explains the nitty gritty >

• Like 1

That doesn't make sense.

I haven't seen any 4k tv's that don't have 1G ethernet built in.

Maybe explain a bit more about what you are doing/trying to do?

Issues with Plex are usually transcoding due to lack of support of av codec at the tv side, not bandwidth issues.  transcoding really needs a hardware device (i.e. a graphics card in the box that handles plex).

Lets put it this way - hard wired network connections are unlikely to be the issue.

Wifi could be, especially if the signal strength is weak.

I suspect in this case, its a transcoding issue, and the server doesn't have enough oomph to transcode.  A hardware transcoder device (i.e. a decent graphics card - GTX1650Super or Intel supported card will help with that).  

As an example, I use a Quadro P400 for transcoding in my Plex setup.

It was cheap, and i can only fit a half height card in my nas..

Neither of our 2 x LG models have 1gig ethernet card nor dual band wifi.  Both 2020/2021 models support 10/100 Mbps and 5ghz 802.11ac respectively.

PLEX transcoding is fine with nearly all movies, but an increase in download speed should improve the odd annoying laggy one.  Cheap enough and I'll report back with speedtests.

26 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

Issues with Plex are usually transcoding due to lack of support of av codec at the tv side, not bandwidth issues.  transcoding really needs a hardware device (i.e. a graphics card in the box that handles plex).

Never heard of that requirement, maybe on older TV's, not LG, they support all codecs although our 2021 model needed a few simple tweaks on the audio side.

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Neither of our 2 x LG models have 1gig ethernet card nor dual band wifi.  Both 2020/2021 models support 10/100 Mbps and 5ghz 802.11ac respectively.

PLEX transcoding is fine with nearly all movies, but an increase in download speed should improve the odd annoying laggy one.  Cheap enough and I'll report back with speedtests.

Never heard of that requirement, maybe on older TV's, not LG, they support all codecs although our 2021 model needed a few simple tweaks on the audio side.

Maybe you don't have plex pass?

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Transcoding has been done to death elsewhere.

LG must be using really old hardware SoC's in their equipment if thats the case.
I would rather suggest using an external box if their hardware is that garbage.

NVidia Shield is still quite decent, as are the foreign version of the Mi Box (make sure its the foreign version as you need WideVine L3 for HD netflix).

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I just ordered a LAN to USB adapter like this -

image.png.92bdab46f8a629f71e0f931be7ca96b1.png

Tested on LG and Sony model TV's it should eliminate lag when viewing HD movies from sources such as PLEX. 

The standard TV network adapter is only 10/100 Mpbs which is usually fine for YouTube and browsing but if you already have a fast ethernet system into your house, the TV may be throttling certain video sources with UHD content.

Video explains the nitty gritty >

£355 plus VAT for 1Gb/s in UK. Kinnel.  3BB it's Bht 749.

Edited by WilliamG

Yes I have PLEX Pass, shared from Australia a/c and the Server is now in Europe somewhere. 

If the USB input fixes it I'll be happy as it's discreet.

@gummyHDMI is no good.

Just now, KaptainRob said:

Yes I have PLEX Pass, shared from Australia a/c and the Server is now in Europe somewhere. 

If the USB input fixes it I'll be happy as it's discreet.

@gummyHDMI is no good.

Why not, works for me from my pc  and phone both using USB C to HDMI adapter

11 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

£355 plus VAT for 1Gb/s in UK. Kinnel.  3BB it's Bht 749.

Haha yes, cheap huh.  I've got 1Gig, 990 bt I think but paid 1 year in advance 3BB discount 8%.

Edited by KaptainRob
Oops

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

Haha yes, cheap huh.  I've got 10Gig, 990 bt I think but paid 1 year in advance 3BB discount 8%.

10Gb/s never seen that from 3BB 

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Why not, works for me from my pc  and phone both using USB C to HDMI adapter

PC is 7m from one TV and 4 from the other and house is wired for LAN.  Another TV has HDMI 5m cable I pre-installed thru the ceiling.

PC is 7m from one TV and 4 from the other and house is wired for LAN.  Another TV has HDMI 5m cable I pre-installed thru the ceiling.

So ? My phone is mobile what's yours ? mobile to TV via Type C HDMI adapter, what's distance got to do with it ?

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

So ? My phone is mobile what's yours ? mobile to TV via Type C HDMI adapter, what's distance got to do with it ?

What's a phone got to do with it Gummy?

5m is about maximum for optimal HDMI performance, PC or NAS to TV/Monitor.

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Depends on the quality of the cable, I once had one 20 metres long HDMI which worked perfectly.

I now have a 20 metre CAT6 cable from my router to TV, no problems.

My 3BB Android TV box in the bedroom is on WiFi 5GHz, 20 metres from the router, no problems.

Edited by WilliamG

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

You missing something I think. I get about 950 Mbs on my pc with Lan and around 350 mbs + on wifi to my phone around 8 mtrs from my router which is where the TV is. The latter has proven to be no issue with no lag or buffering when plugged into TV  using the USB type C to HDMI adapter.  Likewise if I use my 8 mtr HDMI cable from pc to TV no problem either. Even when I upgraded TV from 1080p to 4k set still no problem. So you are either using a a poor HDMI cable if using the latter option or with the former perhaps you are getting signal interference from other wifi/bluetooth.

1 minute ago, WilliamG said:

Depends on the quality of the cable, I once had one 20 metres long HDMI which worked perfectly.

I now have a 20 metre CAT6 cable from my router to TV, no problems.

100%  with you on that one

26 minutes ago, gummy said:

You missing something I think. I get about 950 Mbs on my pc with Lan and around 350 mbs + on wifi to my phone around 8 mtrs from my router which is where the TV is. The latter has proven to be no issue with no lag or buffering when plugged into TV  using the USB type C to HDMI adapter.  Likewise if I use my 8 mtr HDMI cable from pc to TV no problem either. Even when I upgraded TV from 1080p to 4k set still no problem. So you are either using a a poor HDMI cable if using the latter option or with the former perhaps you are getting signal interference from other wifi/bluetooth.

I'm not missing anything.  Streaming to my TV's has nothing to do with my phone. 

I do not use bluetooth or wifi on the TV nor a HDMI cable to either set.  Only LAN via Cat6e.

I'm not missing anything.  Streaming to my TV's has nothing to do with my phone. 

I do not use bluetooth or wifi on the TV nor a HDMI cable to either set.  Only LAN via Cat6e.

Oh well just try to help as in your earlier post you said you were suffering from lagging so hence suggested aternatives that for me work well  and would test your installation as to whether it was your Lan cables at fault or your TV . But never mind

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

Oh well just try to help as in your earlier post you said you were suffering from lagging so hence suggested aternatives that for me work well  and would test your installation as to whether it was your Lan cables at fault or your TV . But never mind

I appreciate all help Gummy.  Perhaps you missed the part about LAN to USB adapter?

A standard HDMI cable of 5m from a NAS to another TV was just sufficient for it's dedicated purpose which NOT for movie viewing.  Call it a monitor.

Hi speed HDMI cables are unsuited for connection of TV to router.

• 2 years later...

In the market there are so many various technologies are their like OLED TV, 4K TV, and many more in recent years we saw there are many TV companies in the market who came to provide to best to their customers - instead of depending upon any device, we need to switch some good Android TV. 

I am using 4K Android TV, taken some streaming subscriptions that provide entertainment content to watch in 4K and HD quality. It is like a live watching experience to see that content thanks to all those streaming platforms that make our entertainment world so good.