News Forum - First vaccine dose administered to nearly 90% of Bangkok residents

Thaiger

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration says nearly 90% of the capital’s residents have received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine. Pongsakorn Kwanmuang from the BMA says 6,717,824 people, or 87% of residents, have now been given the first dose. According to a Bangkok Post report, he says 27% of Bangkok residents are fully vaccinated. Pongsakorn says the BMA still plans to procure alternative vaccines for Bangkok residents, but is currently also receiving some Pfizer doses from the government. Thailand recently took delivery of over 1.5 million doses of the mRNA vaccine, courtesy of the US government. Most of those are […]

The post First vaccine dose administered to nearly 90% of Bangkok residents appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration says nearly 90% of the capital’s residents have received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine. Pongsakorn Kwanmuang from the BMA says 6,717,824 people, or 87% of residents, have now been given the first dose. According to a Bangkok Post report, he says 27% of Bangkok residents are fully vaccinated. Pongsakorn says the BMA still plans to procure alternative vaccines for Bangkok residents, but is currently also receiving some Pfizer doses from the government. Thailand recently took delivery of over 1.5 million doses of the mRNA vaccine, courtesy of the US government. Most of those are […]

The post First vaccine dose administered to nearly 90% of Bangkok residents appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sorry but with all the vaccine shortages in Thailand, I find this very hard to believe. 

• Like 7

If the case numbers are falling 

Vaccines are being done in massive numbers 

Why has the British government just put Thailand in a RED Zone a country of high concern.

Something don't add up.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Why has the British government just put Thailand in a RED Zone a country of high concern.

Something don't add up.

I think it has come to pass that the only people who believe the Thai government's lies are simply only the Thai government.

2 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Something don't add up.

6 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

hmm...really? 

6 minutes ago, PompeyLlama said:

Sorry but with all the vaccine shortages in Thailand, I find this very hard to believe. 

87% of "the population" is absolutely factually incorrect.

Because "the population" is the total, incl. children.

That would mean that they have vaccinated lots of children under 18 already too which is not the case.

Even 87% of the "adult population" is difficult to believe. But maybe that's why they only give us the figure without any evidence?

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 10.17.41.png

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

25 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

I am not one to immediately leap to declare "fake news" or "conspiracy", but this seems to be statistically impossible as described. This would imply that the population too young to receive a shot and the % intelligible due to risk represent less than 10% of the population of BKK. Typically the population classified as "children" is approximately 15% of the population in Thailand (assuming BKK has avg %). This statement of 90% of BKK population vaccinated also doesn't account for people living in BKK that are not registered residents. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

34 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

But we still cant open up because many people need a third booster dose.

Then we have to wait to see if a forth dose is required, all the while waiting for the new vax-resistant strain to emerge.

PS: I am a Nigerian Prince and I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell. Buyers with vaccinations only

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I am not one to immediately leap to declare "fake news" or "conspiracy", but this seems to be statistically impossible as described. This would imply that the population too young to receive a shot and the % intelligible due to risk represent less than 10% of the population of BKK. Typically the population classified as "children" is approximately 15% of the population in Thailand (assuming BKK has avg %). This statement of 90% of BKK population vaccinated also doesn't account for people living in BKK that are not registered residents. 

Should read as "ineligible due to risk", not intelligible. 

26 minutes ago, AdamX said:

But we still cant open up because many people need a third booster dose.

Then we have to wait to see if a forth dose is required, all the while waiting for the new vax-resistant strain to emerge.

PS: I am a Nigerian Prince and I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell. Buyers with vaccinations only

Damn, I have lots of spare change, but no jabs yet 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sure looks like they intend to open Bangkok by October 1, even if they have to fudge the numbers again. Is anyone really surprised by this? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PompeyLlama said:

The number of doses  may be possible,  they have 30 million doses given out, 11 million in the past 28 days (JHU). And aside Phuket and Samui, the focus is on BKK, methinks. 50% for the Capitol, under 10% for Phuket and samui, the other 55+Million people in the country are on waiting list.

Just the 90% quote IN Bangkok seems to be a math solution, like in Phuket and Samui, methinks. 90%, but no youth and kids vaccinated? In a country, with about 20+% under 16?. They making new math roules, every time they giving out numbers. 

So, this 90%, are that 90% of the 75% they targeted BEFORE Delta for herd immunity?

(Which should be now 90% off ALL the people, running around in a country/area)

Phuket made that kind of calculation just before 1. July, too.

Aside, even 90% of registered people (residents) is for sure not  90% of the people livin' in Bangkok.

And most of 'em sino/sino vacinated, just starting sino/astra, so no wonder to expect here. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

You should say "to people registered to live in Bangkok", because it might be 30 percent more, who are not technically a Bangkok residents 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

The 70% was the figure put forward (no scientific study on this number) for the Wuhan variant.

Since then the world has been overwhelmed by the Alpha, beta, gama and Delta variants. Some countries have had Alpha and Delta ...

Israel is vaccinated at more than 70% and suffers Delta with sadness ...

In Thailand we still think that 70% is great!

Why this miopia?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

16 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Something don't add up.

If the Thai government told me water was wet I’d need to check for myself. One day the real truth about what this country publishes will get out. Everything from Covid numbers, to unemployment, to no prostitution in Thailand, to land of smiles. It feels like a parallel universe 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

15 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Sure looks like they intend to open Bangkok by October 1, even if they have to fudge the numbers again. Is anyone really surprised by this? 

Not really surprised @EdwardV. As long as Bangkok is protected they won’t care. I know people who are not front line health workers in their early 20’s being vaccinated in Bangkok, while people in the North who are 60+ can’t get a vaccine. Two standards one country best describes Thailand. Totally shameful. 

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

19 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Stop attempting to question the veracity of any government statement, waste of time . They solely live for inventing figures and telling lies. 

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

Stop attempting to question the veracity of any government statement, waste of time . They solely live for inventing figures and telling lies. 

Hahahaha....I get that. I also tend to invent figures and tell lies when I am trying to screw someone. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Totally agree the figures will be manipulated to what ever suits them at that time.

They can lift their restrictions the numbers can only rise to the number of tests they allow to be done simple to control.

If the world believed them Thailand would not have been put on UK red list.

• Like 2

The numbers are BS and everyone including those that initially published them know it as well. I personally know friends in BKK who have repeatedly tried to get just one vaccination only to be turned away this week due to huge queues and not enough vaccines to go around. 

The Government will open BKK next week and cry success at its vaccination programme in the capital but it's all smoke and mirrors to get tourism kick started and head off a public vote of no confidence which might just topple them 

• Like 2

90% claim is verifiable nonsense.

Opening up is useless (as most countries have Thailand on the red list)

Easing restrictions will transport the virus from high risk areas all over the country again (like Songkran) because they still don't understand that, being vaccinated, you can still carry and transmit the virus to the rest of the country where vaccination rate is near zero!

Numbers will soar

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Numbers will soar

The problem isn't whether the "90%" is true or not.

It could well be true given i) the number of vaccine doses previously confirmed as received by the Chinese and US embassies (twice the number of doses the CCSA said had been given out), ii) that 90% of the rest of the country have not yet been vaccinated, and iii) if the same criteria as Phuket is used for "population", excluding those under 18 (around 17%) and not migrant / transient workers not registered as resident (around a third).

That would mean 90% of only half those in Bangkok, so only 45% of the real population.

The problem isn't whether it's true or not, though, or whether it's 90% or 45%.

They can still carry and transmit the virus, vaccinated or not, and a number will still be hospitalised and die.

The problem is what's done as a result:

Will restrictions be lifted, along with the Emergency Decree, so the government can declare "victory" and life return to "normal" before numbers soar?

Or will the government want to keep a lid on protests instead, and keep the Emergency Decree, bans on gatherings, and a curfew?

Interesting times .....

• Like 1