APEC Business Travel Card Entry Length

I recently had my APEC Business Travel Card approved and I was wondering what length of stay this qualifies me for Thailand.

A Google search hasn't given me a definitive answer. All the information I got was that participating economies give entry length on the ABTC for either 60 or 90 days.

Anyone have any experience as to the length of stay Thailand gives to ABTC holders?

If it matters, I travel on an Australian Passport.

Thanks very much.

• Like 1

For Thailand the permission of stay granted on entry is 90 days if it has THA on the rear.

You'll need to apply for the COE from your local Embassy and meet all the same conditions of entry as all other foreigners entering Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Faz said:

For Thailand the permission of stay granted on entry is 90 days if it has THA on the rear.

You'll need to apply for the COE from your local Embassy and meet all the same conditions of entry as all other foreigners entering Thailand.

Thanks very much for the clarification, very helpful. 

Just for posterity for anyone looking for a similar answer in the future:

I was trawling through Google last night and found a snippet that confirms this in the very unhelpful Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs questions and answers section. Although it doesn't outright state you get 90 days, the way I interpreted it is that the ABTC acts as a multi-entry business visa. Therefore granting 90 days per entry.

abtcmfath.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Osthos said:

Although it doesn't outright state you get 90 days, the way I interpreted it is that the ABTC acts as a multi-entry business visa. Therefore granting 90 days per entry.

That's exactly what it is, a multi entry Business Visa.
The only difference being the multi entry Non Imm B Visa is only valid for 1 year,
The APEC card is valid for 5 years.
With either type, the permission of stay granted on entry to Thailand is 90 days.

Perhaps a better explanation here: https://thailawyers.com/apec-business-travel-card/

The length of stay permitted varies Country by Country dependant on their Immigration policies, so it may only be 60 days entering certain Countries, but it's 90 days entering Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, 90 days Thailand, no questions asked at immigration. Have entered many times on it in the past.

Also, for Australia card holders, you can now download a digital version. Although, in practice the physical card seems better respected by some other countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, Julian said:

Has anyone tried opening a Thai bank account while in Thailand on a APEC Business Travel Card?

Yes - you will need proof of a Thai address so it helps to get a Certificate of Residence (TM16) from immigration - you'll need to complete form TM18 and provide copies of your passport including the entry stamp and and TM6 form, together with a TM30 record which your hotel will give to you and 2 photos.

Your milage will vary from bank to bank and many will refuse if you do not have a work permit.  I was eventually able to persuade a teller in Kasikorn Bank who had never heard of APEC to open an account.

Recently friends have been able to open an account with Bangkok Bank, but only on the condition they purchased an insurance policy costing around 6,000 Baht at the same time.

My advice would be to allocate a day and go from bank to bank until you find one willing to take your business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anatta said:

Yes - you will need proof of a Thai address so it helps to get a Certificate of Residence (TM16) from immigration - you'll need to complete form TM18 and provide copies of your passport including the entry stamp and and TM6 form, together with a TM30 record which your hotel will give to you and 2 photos.

Incorrect and misleading.

The bank will often require a residence certificate issued by Immigration.
The residence certificate is requested by completing this form. Application for residence certificate.pdf 
It has no TM number.

TM16 is when applying for permanent residency. (residence certificate as opposed to certificate or residence)
TM18 is when applying for a substitute residence certificate.
https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fbangkok.immigration.go.th%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F06%2F22.%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%8D%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%88-%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A1.18.doc&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK

• Cool 1