Libraries and Bookshops in Thailand

Lorraine

Hi Everyone

As an ex librarian, i am very interested to know of Libraries, Book shops and Second hand bookshops in and around Thailand's main cities.

Only list the name and location as long as they have some Books in the English Language.    Thank you

Hello Lorraine, good idea and always open to visiting bookshops/libraries. The library below i have been there several times on Saturday morning for story time with my son, as he adores it.

The Neilson Hays Library has one of Bangkok’s biggest collections of English books and titles. There’s also a children’s corner inside the library and they also hold Children’s Story time on Saturday mornings. They also have a Garden Gallery and Cafe in the courtyard that serves breakfast, lunch, snacks, and beverages. You can become a member of the library, by paying an annually subscription or on the day you visit you could pay an entrance fee of 100 Baht for non-members.

• Thanks 1

Quick chat with the wife and we can come up with this little piece:

Asia Books has branches in many shopping malls in Bangkok including Siam Paragon, Emporium and Central Ladprao, as well as a stand-alone store on Sukhumvit Road. You will find a good selection of fiction and non-fiction books in English. They also run offers to temp you into buying more books. For the avid reader and bookworm you can get the Asia Books card, which offers discounts.

• Like 1

I concur with Asia Books - they have lots of English titles and are in most Malls all over the country.  Avoid the local second hand book markets - their prices are way too high (almost new price) - but they will give you very little if you 'trade-in' something - I once got 20 Baht for a brand new book for which I paid 350 Baht the previous month.  I tried a few shops but after buying one book for 300 Baht that was filthy inside I gave up using them. Maybe also look for Expats you know that read books too, and then do book swaps.    

• Thanks 1

Dasa Book Cafe, Khlong Toei, Bangkok

There is a great selection of second books available on the two floors, mainly for the English language reader. The prices are reasonable and they will even try to obtain for you any books from a wish list of titles you may be seeking. Worth noting they also operate a mail order service.