News Forum - Electrician electrocuted to death in Chon Buri

Thaiger

An electrician has been electrocuted to death while he was installing wires for a customer in Chon Buri, a province that sits on the Gulf of Thailand. First responders got to the scene to discover 47 year old Montri Somboon’s body still connected to a power pole close to the house. Rescue workers removed Montri’s body; it took them about an hour to extract his body from the pole. Thai media says a burn mark was found on Montri’s stomach. The electrician was not wearing safety equipment like a helmet and gloves. Nor was he wearing shoes. An eyewitness to […]

The post Electrician electrocuted to death in Chon Buri appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

At least he used a safety harness!

Aluminium ladder and bare feet a big no no.  Regular electricians use non-grounded pole spikes and wear shoes.  PEA use bamboo ladders and full safety gear.  It's not rocket science.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

At least he used a safety harness!

Aluminium ladder and bare feet a big no no.  Regular electricians use non-grounded pole spikes and wear shoes.  PEA use bamboo ladders and full safety gear.  It's not rocket science.

I don't get why in the photo someone has to point at the dead body ?

1 minute ago, gummy said:

I don't get why in the photo someone has to point at the dead body ?

One might otherwise assume the pointer was the dead person and the pointee taking a nap?

• Haha 4

This is the other days news. I know it is a death and a serious matter, but actually we saw it the other day and we all busted up laughing. If you see the news footage, it shows him dead in the wires, but then it pans down and low and behold there are rows of Thai people standing around looking up, talking and it literally looked like a festival or party. Thaigre sure is slow on the uptake for the download of the news.

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

This is the other days news. I know it is a death and a serious matter, but actually we saw it the other day and we all busted up laughing. If you see the news footage, it shows him dead in the wires, but then it pans down and low and behold there are rows of Thai people standing around looking up, talking and it literally looked like a festival or party. Thaigre sure is slow on the uptake for the download of the news.

Perhaps they were just waiting to publish in case he sparked in to life ?

7 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

One might otherwise assume the pointer was the dead person and the pointee taking a nap?

It's obviously for the hard-of-learning.

I like use of 'pointee'.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

Perhaps they were just waiting to publish in case he sparked in to life ?

Well he certainly wasn't doing a high wire routine. 

• Haha 1

RIP. I had electrician electicuted in my house before. Not that bad. But his skills were so bad, I had to do most of work myself. Speaking about house, I payed 15k to put a ground wire everywhere and bury brass pole in 2m deep salted ground at the back. I know what engineer and electrician title means in this country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

to a power pole close to the house.

Unlucky .. must've been a pole that's so far escaped getting taken out by a barrel rolling HiSo Merc' or p*ssed up pick up truck .. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

RIP. I had electrician electicuted in my house before. Not that bad. But his skills were so bad, I had to do most of work myself. Speaking about house, I payed 15k to put a ground wire everywhere and bury brass pole in 2m deep salted ground at the back. I know what engineer and electrician title means in this country. 

The first thing you learn about Thailand: when in doubt do it yourself, regardless of the endeavour. 

43 minutes ago, Rain said:

Tradition. 

Where've you been, Gummy? 

I thought only those under arrest or the RTP were trained in pointing, didn't realise it was part of a PEA employees skill set.

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

I thought only those under arrest or the RTP were trained in pointing, didn't realise it was part of a PEA employees skill set.

Google: Thais pointing at things. 

6 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's bricklayers your thinking about.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Faraday said:

When we had our house built last year, this was the consumer unit.

It has been upgraded now.

IMG_20210706_154817.jpg

Upgraded using a non-colour-blind electrician?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Yes, it seems grounding or earthing is something not too concerning in domestic properties at least. Health & Safety is not high on the priority list for most Thai workers. That said, I watched a short movie the other day of life in factories in the U.K. back in the 50’s & 60’s. Few hard hats. No gloves or eye protection and most people were just wearing standard outdoor clothing. Thailand is “developing” and so it will take time to improve such standards. 

As an aside, whenever any workmen come to my place in Thailand I usually keep out of the way. It’s just too scary or frustrating to watch !! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Upgraded using a non-colour-blind electrician?

Yes, but I wouldn't be so polite about the other chap.

He used to wander around the site in just a dirty pair of boxers, that he didn't change for days.

Then there was the welder - who fortunately, only did a small bit of work on a fence before he was sacked. Clearly on the yaba.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Faraday said:

IMG_20210706_154817.jpg

What’s wrong with that? That’s a good install. At least it’s got an RCD and a few circuit breakers. 😃 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Faraday said:

IMG_20210706_154817.jpg

Did electrician have the blues the day he put that in .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daffyduck said:

no safety boots on 

Amazingly, no! And sad that your debut post has to be on such a sad occurrence, but thanks for that anyway!

Hello, daffyduck and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton