Demand for Covid DIY Works Makes Thai Retailer a Billionaire

KaptainRob

Full story here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-22/demand-for-covid-diy-projects-makes-thai-retailer-a-billionaire

My introduction to DoHome was ~10 years ago in Ubon Ratchathani though it was originally called Ubon Watsadu.  A ramshackle amalgamation of buildings reminiscent of Phuket town's original 'SuperCheap', housed every possible building, hardware and appliance one might need.

Always busy, UW was a fabulous place to explore and I soon learned NOT to ask the 1st staff member I saw, 'where can I find hong naam fittings'.  As we all now know, staff in the TV department will simply say "no have".

After many visits I learned my way around yet often came across exciting new finds as well as lazy staff asleep between the shelving ... TiT.

Roll forward a few years and I visited the big new DoHome in BKK's northern suburbs.  I was blown away by the sheer size, equal to 4 Aussie Bunnings stores!  Expansion has seen them become Chiang Mai's leading store and has left Thai Watsadu, Global House way behind.

Adisak, 68, opened his first shop in Ubon Ratchathani in 1983, selling tools and construction materials mainly to local farmers and small contractors. It wasn’t until 2007 that he set up the first Dohome megastore outside his home province, having gradually gained confidence and the resources to take on home-improvement stores owned by larger rivals like Siam Cement Pcl -- Thailand’s first conglomerate -- and Central Retail Corp. Pcl, controlled by Asia’s 20th-richest dynasty.

32 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

10 years ago in Ubon Ratchathani though it was originally called Ubon Watsadu.  A ramshackle amalgamation of buildings

Ha-ha, tell me about it! Went there 3 or 4 times, circa 2012/13, whilst building a house south of there. The timber was excellent . . . straight, dry, great colour and cheap! And, like you, I soon got to learn my way around the maze.

And there was a superb and very large outdoor papaya salad cafe, less than a mile from Watsadu, that made an excellent lunch stop, after calling in at my favourite 'Yu-dee' bicycle shop for a few bits and pieces.

• Cool 1