Bottled water – unusual complaint

Bluesofa

Now normally anyone would be more than happy to have a full bottle of water. As a real ale drinker from the UK I always expect a full pint of beer - excluding the head. Don’t snigger boy. That's an imperial pint btw (568ml), not a US pint (473ml).

The bottles of water we buy are absolutely full to the top – right up to the plastic screw-top.

When I hold the bottle to open the screw top, there’s always some water that spills out. Even though I keep the bottle on a flat surface to avoid tipping it or squeezing it unnecessarily, as it’s a soft plastic bottle.
Which means that really I should get up from my desk and go into the kitchen or the bathroom to open it, in order to avoid the water going over the keyboard, phone, and anything else.

The bottles are 760ml. If only they could be filled to 5 or 10mm below the top.
Or am I asking too much?

Sitting and waiting abusive replies.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Now normally anyone would be more than happy to have a full bottle of water. As a real ale drinker from the UK I always expect a full pint of beer - excluding the head. Don’t snigger boy. That's an imperial pint btw (568ml), not a US pint (473ml).

The bottles of water we buy are absolutely full to the top – right up to the plastic screw-top.

When I hold the bottle to open the screw top, there’s always some water that spills out. Even though I keep the bottle on a flat surface to avoid tipping it or squeezing it unnecessarily, as it’s a soft plastic bottle.
Which means that really I should get up from my desk and go into the kitchen or the bathroom to open it, in order to avoid the water going over the keyboard, phone, and anything else.

The bottles are 760ml. If only they could be filled to 5 or 10mm below the top.
Or am I asking too much?

For clarity are you complaining that due to the bottle being full to the brim then on opening a ml or two is wasted or are you complaining that in order to not spill water on anything delicate you have to get off your back side and walk somewhere where any spillage doesn't matter 😂 ?

Know what you mean Mr Sofa .. t'is something I have ponderered myself along with the plastic seal wrapped around the bottle top which require eagles talon's to unpick before unscrewing the top to break the ring seal at which point the aqua squirts outta the top all over your light coloured shorts whilst lying on a sun lounger immediately creating an impression you've had an accident in the wee wee dept .. 

• Haha 3

Just be grateful that its not tied by an elastic band .

Some of those are so difficult to remove , its often easier to turn the bag upside down and make a hole in the plastic

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not withstanding the awaited clarification (  are you asleep @Bluesofa  ? ), but should you have say a 40 cm space to the side of your desk then one solution maybe to purchase a water cooler, you know the ones with the 20 ltr bottle of water on top ( and yes they too are filled to the brim). Then with the aid of perhaps your pint glass you can safely stretch over, or perhaps push a few cm on your wheeled office chair to place ones glass under the water outlet. The benefits may be many fold.

1) Your iced water is always at your disposal

2 You avoid spillage over your keyboard, that is unless you dribble like a baby

and 

3) You can remain seated on your fat backside

Simples........

1. Pour the offending water away..

2. Take empty bottles to village water machine.

3. Fill to 5/10mm below cap level.

4. Take water bottles home.

Repeat when bottles are empty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, gummy said:

For clarity are you complaining that due to the bottle being full to the brim then on opening a ml or two is wasted or are you complaining that in order to not spill water on anything delicate you have to get off your back side and walk somewhere where any spillage doesn't matter 😂 ?

It's point number two doctor - still sitting at my desk, where my backside is glued t'chair.

52 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Plastic bottles! How dare you! You destroyer of the planet, you!!!

Edited by BuffaloWhisperer
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Transam said:

Wish they did it with the beer....🤓

After ten bottle they do, it goes everywhere. Well, in my experience.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWhisperer said:

Plastic bottles! How dare you? You destroyer of the planet, you.

I'm doing it to get rid of them, so then there will be no more. Have I got it wrong?

53 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Try a different brand, I buy nestle pure life and never had issues 

If only that was possible. I'm a kept man, my wife orders the water as it's cheaper.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It's point number two doctor - still sitting at my desk, where my backside is glued t'chair.

Then my suggestion in earlier post #38876  maybe your ideal solution.  

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

If only that was possible. I'm a kept man, my wife orders the water as it's cheaper.

When are we going to get another thread about 7/11 bread like wot you did before at the other place ..  loads of bun that one was .. 

• Haha 1

They fill to the top to keep the air out. Open a bottle of water, drink about a third and then leave the bottle stand with lid on for three or four days, if you have the same water we get you will not drink it. Stinks and tastes foul.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

When are we going to get another thread about 7/11 bread like wot you did before at the other place ..  loads of bun that one was .. 

Dough! Oh yeah, I remember. Everyone needs a hobby.

6 minutes ago, palooka said:

They fill to the top to keep the air out. Open a bottle of water, drink about a third and then leave the bottle stand with lid on for three or four days, if you have the same water we get you will not drink it. Stinks and tastes foul.

What brand of water do you drink?

14 minutes ago, palooka said:

That's a sensible answer as to why.
Mind you, you said drink a third. I'm only talking about perhaps 2% of the bottle space taken up by air.
What happens with other products, where you can see there is a very small 'air' gap at the top of the bottle?

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

That's a sensible answer as to why.
Mind you, you said drink a third. I'm only talking about perhaps 2% of the bottle space taken up by air.
What happens with other products, where you can see there is a very small 'air' gap at the top of the bottle?

This maybe of interest and also to @palooka

https://www.stilltasty.com/Fooditems/index/19047#:~:text=WATER%2C COMMERCIALLY BOTTLED - OPENED&text=Bottled water that has been,expiration" date on the bottle%3F

51 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm doing it to get rid of them, so then there will be no more. Have I got it wrong?

If you're really serious, you must feed them to the sea-turtles.

Just now, Bluesofa said:

I just never knew there was so much in it.

Well here is a question that throws all that info into serious questioning. Aquapure and many many companies around the world promote their product by stating that it is drawn from natural spring water. 

So that water has been in the ground for possibly thousands of years, certainly hundreds, seemingly unblemished because if it was it would be of no use and certainly unsuitable for human consumption.

Now the "pure" water is abstracted and it must be treated prior to bottling by filtration/deionisation/reverse osmosis etc to ensure it is free of microbes. Now suddenly we open a bottle of this stuff and in a fridge it only last 4 - 6 days before we are supposed to throw it way.

So after supposedly treating this water, its lifecycle has now gone from a few thousand years to 4 days - amassing that don't you think ?

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

After ten bottle they do, it goes everywhere. Well, in my experience.

You need a new elixir - go over to Ya Dong.

After a few, you don't give a f*ck whether you're spilling or not. 

Problem resolved. 

Your welcome.

😉

7 hours ago, BuffaloWhisperer said:

Plastic bottles! How dare you! You destroyer of the planet, you!!!

Yeah, I like that smug feeling I get from Singha glass refillables. I'm trying to get my S.O. to buy in on the water filter idea (it hasn't killed the dog... yet) but, even though that's what I've used for my coffee for a decade, it remains a non-starter.

• Haha 1