Printing

FrankieT80

If anyone is considering purchasing a printer they should make sure that consumables are available. I purchased an HP  printer in June and the cartridges ran out after about 6 weeks of light home/office use. I have tried to find new cartridges but HP say they are out of stock and it could take 3 to 9 weeks before they can supply them. 

This is a totally unsatisfactory situation as a company of the size of HP should not sell products that they are unable to support.

HP are a shocking outfit for home IT consumables (sorry for the late advice !!) - plus the cartridges are obscenely priced plus your printer will last about as long as a sandwich!

Their favourite con is in some of the later models you have to replace ALL colours in their printer, incl shocking pink which you use every day right, when the black runs out ! I think about £60 for a set of full inks in a printer which costs £49.

Inkjet printers are a rip-off.  It's industry practice to supply cheap printers and make money with expensive consumables.  Supplied cartridges are purposely under-filled.

Get external refillable cartridges if you do a lot of colour printing or non-original refills.   Lazada may have cartridge stock.

I use a laser printer now for better economy.

• Like 1

I can recommend the Brother T520W ink jet printer with refill tank system.
Never buy one with ink cartridges, they dry out.

I had a Xerox colour laser jet printer (not cheap but excellent) until a small fault developed and was told by Xerox it was unrepairable as no spare parts available - it was 5 years old.

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

I can recommend the Cannon T520W ink jet printer with refill tank system.
Never buy one with ink cartridges, they dry out.

I had a Xerox colour laser jet printer (not cheap but excellent) until a small fault developed and was told by Xerox it was unrepairable as no spare parts available - it was 5 years old.

You'll be pleased to know Faz that this is now against the law in the UK (not that that will help you much here of course). As from this year ALL appliances sold in the UK must be able to provide parts up to 10 years after the date of purchase or replace New for Old !

• Thanks 1

I use the Canon G3000. It has built-in large tanks. Canon inks for this come in bottles a full set of inks can be purchased for about 900B and would fill the tanks more than once and will last several hundred prints. In a year I saved so much on ink it more than paid for the printer. 

Down side? Every 2 years or 2000 prints the internal timer counter has to be reset. About 500 B