Hoover Dam at 35% capacity

gummy

Came across this article so thought I would share it.  The Hoover Dam , due to drought is now at 35% capacity representing a massive drop in water resource. I have not been there since 2003 and at that time it was full I guess so for me to now see these pictures in its current state is incredible and obviously worrying for those affected.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58248634

The statement "Not all droughts are due to climate change, but excess heat in the atmosphere is drawing more moisture out of the earth and making droughts worse."  is rather ambiguous.

Many North Thailand dams are at critical levels which seems odd given a fairly damp wet season so far.  We have to hope for good falls in catchment areas over the next few months.

32 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

The statement "Not all droughts are due to climate change, but excess heat in the atmosphere is drawing more moisture out of the earth and making droughts worse."  is rather ambiguous.

Many North Thailand dams are at critical levels which seems odd given a fairly damp wet season so far.  We have to hope for good falls in catchment areas over the next few months.

Maybe in the North but in the North East rainfall is still below average so far this year, as it was last year unfortunately.  We have  2 rai pond, not large but keeps me happy and last year this time I had a water depth of around 2.6 mtrs whereas 2019 - 2014  I had 2.9 to 3.1 which corresponded more or less with the expectations based on annual rainfall figures. This latest dry season it was worrying as the water depth dropped to around 1 mtr as obviously the water table had dropped. Hoping this year the monsoons predicted in May would have come to pass but so far nothing like.  Although water depth is now the same as last year I was hoping for a normal rainy season - fingers crossed.

I was thinking of getting some people to come and put that big dick on my land so it would rain hard , any ideas 'cos I can't get the PM here ? 😂

When it doesnt rain for a long time, it will eventually pour down and in buckets. And then after that it is bush fires season (yet again), because of all the sudden growth of the bush which then goes dry.  Meanwhile in Japan and Haiti etc etc etc  they have flooding rains.  It has always been that way, and it always will.   

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

A curious comparison as to how respective cultures manage so called water shortages/crises, whereas the populations along the Colorado River Basin are clearly oblivious towards any type of water conservation, unaware that their conditions of drought has no end in sight - the rainfall has been nominal and will continue this parched cycle. 

Southeast Asians, on the other hand, are historically conscious about managing their "dry seasons" - knowing full well a guaranteed natural rainy cycle to come. 

The greater difference might be the continued mad hatter resource consumption when there is no true releif in sight.