Public Health Ministry approves purchase of 8.5 million Chinese antigen test kits

Thaiger

First it was on, then it was off, then it was on again. Now the Public Health Ministry has officially given the go-ahead for the purchase of 8.5 million antigen test kits from China. Sura Visetsak from the ministry says the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation can proceed with the purchase from Lepu Medical Technology. The Bangkok Post reports that the contract is being signed with Ostland Capital after tests showed the kits met the required standard. The same kits have been recalled by the US Food and Drug Administration due to the high number of inaccurate results, which has led the […]

The post Public Health Ministry approves purchase of 8.5 million Chinese antigen test kits appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well they spend an arm and a leg on vaccines that are not up to the job so they might as well get test kit's too, no doubt it's someone's cousin or uncle that will benefit.

TIT.

• Like 1

These rapid antigen tests are not very accurate sadly. False positives and false negatives. Sadly, PCR tests are still the best available, even though they take longer to get a result.

• Thanks 1

Not only are they unreliable but the contract price is twice the as from Chinas' lazada!! These people can't scratch their arse without looking for a way to scam money from the action! A result of having to pay for their jobs and needing to get cash to repay their borrowings to buy the promotion!

14 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Hi@Jason! You're stating these qualities as if they're factual. If you check Rule 16.2, you'll see that such statements require a source reference. Can you either edit-in the source or PM me with it by 8pm, Thai time? Failing that I'm afraid I must delete your post.

Let me help  you out here, Jason.

"The (United States) FDA has serious concerns about the performance of the Lepu Medical Technology SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test Kit and believes there is likely a high risk of false results when using this test. 

The FDA has classified the recall of this test as a Class I recall, the most serious type of recall. The FDA has also issued a warning letter to Lepu Medical Technologies." 

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/stop-using-lepu-medical-technology-sars-cov-2-antigen-and-leccurate-antibody-tests-fda-safety

• Thanks 1

I registered  2 days earlier for vaccine, then my family, my family got appointment and me not, possible reason; he lives in Chonburi and I live in the north. Plain stupid so does not matter when you register they do not provide vaccines for the once that registered first.. thanks government for the always unfair and brainless doing

Edited by Paco
Stupid clowns they are

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

Let me help  you out here, Jason.

"The (United States) FDA has serious concerns about the performance of the Lepu Medical Technology SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test Kit and believes there is likely a high risk of false results when using this test. 

The FDA has classified the recall of this test as a Class I recall, the most serious type of recall. The FDA has also issued a warning letter to Lepu Medical Technologies." 

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/stop-using-lepu-medical-technology-sars-cov-2-antigen-and-leccurate-antibody-tests-fda-safety

Yeah, thats America. No-ones saying that they should use it, although  they could use something as their numbers hit the roof.

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

First it was on, then it was off, then it was on again. Now the Public Health Ministry has officially given the go-ahead for the purchase of 8.5 million antigen test kits from China. Sura Visetsak from the ministry says the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation can proceed with the purchase from Lepu Medical Technology. The Bangkok Post reports that the contract is being signed with Ostland Capital after tests showed the kits met the required standard. The same kits have been recalled by the US Food and Drug Administration due to the high number of inaccurate results, which has led the […]

The post Public Health Ministry approves purchase of 8.5 million Chinese antigen test kits appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Apart from making money for the test makers, what exactly is the point of testing

Positive or negative, makes no pragmatic difference to anything as far as I can see. It does however add to the fearmongering and the number of cases.

Just decide if you want the vaccine and forget the test,

Wait a minute. Acccording to the link below, Lepu recalled the tests themselves. The tests were never approved for use in the US to begin with. Is it possible everybody is getting this story so wrong?

The recall happened April 2021. I wonder what the dates of manufacture are for the tests that Thailand will be getting...

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/medical-device-recalls/lepu-medical-technology-recalls-sars-cov-2-antigen-rapid-test-kit-and-leccurate-sars-cov-2-antibody

Edited by DrBongo
add hyperlink
  • Cool 1

In the U.S., we have two reasonably affordable antigen test kits for self-administered testing, BinaxNOW (Abbott) and QuickVue (Quidel). Each kit includes two tests for about $25. I just bought one of each for comparison, but haven't used them yet. The purpose is to assure people I'm visiting that I don't have an active infection (at least, that I didn't have before checking in for my flights, about 24 hours before departure).

At least for the more studied BinaxNOW test, accuracy can be quite high: https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa1890/6052342

Of course, any point-in-time test could be obsolete the moment the swab leaves my nostrils, but there isn't any way around that. Even a same-day RT-PCR test, which requires driving to a distant location and paying as much as 10x the price of the antigen test has the same problem. Since it detects lower amounts of RNA it may be slightly more forward looking, but the home kit definitely is more convenient.

All that said, I don't know what I think about Thai hospitals relying on rapid antigen tests. Presumably they will be confirming any positive results with RT-PCR tests and breathing a sigh of relief for the negative tests. That might be the best approach with limited resources.

• Like 1