Jump to content

Documents for 1 year extension based on Thai spouse


Recommended Posts

I am a Canadian citizen married for over 30 years to a Thai national. I'm currently in Thailand on a British passport with a non-immigrant O visa, residing in Rayong. This visa was extended in April 2020 for 60 days, and later in the year was extended for 12 months on  7th September 2020, after I deposited the required funds in a Thai bank account 2 months earlier.  I'm now planning to apply for a further 1 year extension. Last year I had to supply the following to support my 12 month extension application:

  • Completed TM7 application form
  • Passport
  • Passport photo
  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Statement from bank certifying at least 400,000 Baht in account for at least 2 months
  • Photos of my wife and I in our condo, including photos of the rooms in the condo unit
  • A witness/reference  (not family member) to physically accompany us to the Immigration office

Obviously, I will need to submit the first 5 documents again to support my application, but do I need to also supply photos of my wife and I in our condo? also do we need to take along a witness/reference? Last year, we also had to wait a month for Immigration Police to investigate, including a visit to our condo, is this required again?

Thanks

David

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, davej said:

I am a Canadian citizen married for over 30 years to a Thai national. I'm currently in Thailand on a British passport with a non-immigrant O visa, residing in Rayong. This visa was extended in April 2020 for 60 days, and later in the year was extended for 12 months on  7th September 2020, after I deposited the required funds in a Thai bank account 2 months earlier.  I'm now planning to apply for a further 1 year extension. Last year I had to supply the following to support my 12 month extension application:

  • Completed TM7 application form
  • Passport
  • Passport photo
  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Statement from bank certifying at least 400,000 Baht in account for at least 2 months
  • Photos of my wife and I in our condo, including photos of the rooms in the condo unit
  • A witness/reference  (not family member) to physically accompany us to the Immigration office

Obviously, I will need to submit the first 5 documents again to support my application, but do I need to also supply photos of my wife and I in our condo? also do we need to take along a witness/reference? Last year, we also had to wait a month for Immigration Police to investigate, including a visit to our condo, is this required again?

Thanks

David

The answer to both your questions is yes, new photos and a witness. You should not however have another visit from immigration. Don't forget if you married in Thailand you will now need a new Kor Ror 2, which you can obtain from your local Amphur. You did not a mention a hand drawn map of where you live, another requirement usually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@davej firstly understand your extending your permission of stay in Thailand, not your Visa.
Extensions are permits, not Visas.

You have to supply the same documents each and every year, with updated financials and a Kor Ror 2.
Witnesses and home visits are usually only relevant to the very first application and not applicable for further application.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, davej said:

What exactly is a Kor Ror 2? Never heard about this before.

It's the registration of your marriage.
Obtainable from any Amphoe for 20 baht.

It's proof that since you were married there is no record of divorce, therefore assumes your still legally married. If you'd divorced at any time, then you wouldn't be able to obtain an updated KR2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, davej said:

What exactly is a Kor Ror 2? Never heard about this before.

In my earlier reply I did ask whether or not you got married in Thailand. Perhaps you did not so hence maybe have never heard of a kor Ror 2 ? But you mention you had an extension last year also so with respect to your marriage certificate what where you asked to produce then if you were married elsewhere as the same will need to be produced this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, gummy said:

In my earlier reply I did ask whether or not you got married in Thailand. Perhaps you did not so hence maybe have never heard of a kor Ror 2 ? But you mention you had an extension last year also so with respect to your marriage certificate what where you asked to produce then if you were married elsewhere as the same will need to be produced this year.

Sorry, missed your earlier question. We were married in Thailand over 30 years ago (Bangkok for the official marriage, and Rayong for the traditional Thai style marriage). When we applied last year for the 12 month extension of stay, we gave Immigration a copy of the original marriage certificate in English, Thai and Arabic (I worked in KSA at the time), they semed happy with that and no mention of a Kor Ror 2, hence my lack of knowledge now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, davej said:

Sorry, missed your earlier question. We were married in Thailand over 30 years ago (Bangkok for the official marriage, and Rayong for the traditional Thai style marriage). When we applied last year for the 12 month extension of stay, we gave Immigration a copy of the original marriage certificate in English, Thai and Arabic (I worked in KSA at the time), they semed happy with that and no mention of a Kor Ror 2, hence my lack of knowledge now.

Easy for you to get the KorRor 2 from the local Anphur then, your wife with her ID will be all that is needed to ask for it. The KorRor 2 is the the second document that accompanies the "pretty" certificate.  Now if they didn't ask for it last year  they may not ask for it this year assuming you will go to the same immigration office. However up to last year  it was never asked for before at my immigration office and it was only started to be asked for when I went for my extension last year so hence it may still vary from office to office but as @Faz said early it only costs 20 baht so I would suggest you just pop in on the way to immigration to get one just in case they ask to save a second journey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, davej said:

What exactly is a Kor Ror 2? Never heard about this before.

Kor Ror 2 is just a document that states you are still married, a computer logged thing.

You don't have to go to get it, it's issued to your mrs. I get one the day before, just in case of queue hold ups...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Supplying a Kor Ror 2 became a compulsory requirement at most Immigration offices back in 2019.

Until then I knew two foreigners who paid the ex to attend Immigration for an extension based on marriage as they didn't have the funds or income for an extension based on retirement.
They were scuppered when Immigration requested an updated Kor Ror 2.

They both went to the Thai Consulate at Savannakhet and were able to precure the Non Imm O multi entry Visa with just a copy of their (old) marriage certificates.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use