Marriage visa expiring whilst out of the country ....

Benroon

So as the title suggests my marriage visa could run out whilst I am in the UK - presumably there's not a lot I can do about that and would have to come back on a tourist visa and start again right ? Any implications of that ? Or is there some smartarse better way of doing this ?

Ta

13 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So as the title suggests my marriage visa could run out whilst I am in the UK - presumably there's not a lot I can do about that and would have to come back on a tourist visa and start again right ? Any implications of that ? Or is there some smartarse better way of doing this ?

Ta

Are you already in UK, or still in Thailand? 

When still in Thailand > at what date would your 1-year permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage expire?  And when do you plan to leave for UK?

When already in UK > did you buy a re-entry permit before exiting Thailand, and if so what is the date of expiry of that re-entry permit?

= = = = =

Based on that additional information, @Faz or myself can provide you with all options, as well as their pros and cons. 

52 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Are you already in UK, or still in Thailand? 

When still in Thailand > at what date would your 1-year permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage expire?  And when do you plan to leave for UK?

When already in UK > did you buy a re-entry permit before exiting Thailand, and if so what is the date of expiry of that re-entry permit?

= = = = =

Based on that additional information, @Faz or myself can provide you with all options, as well as their pros and cons. 

Thanks

In Thailand currently - visa expires Nov 17th - plan to leave Aug 22 so next Sunday

Still have to get the re-entry permit (presumably I can get that right up to the day before I go?)

With still more than 3 months to go before the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage expires, you will most probably not be able to already apply for your next extension of stay.  Normally that can be done 30 to 45 days early, but their have been cases of IOs doing it earlier when you have a valid reason.  However, in your case - leaving within 11 days - the 'under consideration period' will normally be longer than those 11 days, so that eliminates that option.  But of course it is worth a try asking at your local Imm Office whether they would be willing to already process your next 1-year extension application under the explicit condition that they can ensure you would receive the approved stamp before your date of departure. 

If the above doesn't work out, you would need to buy a single-entry re-entry permit (1.000 THB) at your local Immigration Office or in the departure hall of the international thai airport from which you would be departing.  Such re-entry permit will protect your current Nov 17 permission to stay, and can be bought up till last minute before leaving Thailand.

Obviously if you do NOT intend to return to Thailand before early November, there is no point in buying such re-entry permit.  I mention early November, because on return you will be quarantained for 15 days during which time you will not be able to do the 1-year extension of stay application.  

In case you foresee not to return to Thailand before early November, you have 3 options:

#1 - Returning Visa-exempt (without having applied for a Visa) > on arrival in Thailand you will then be stamped in for a 45 day permission to stay.  This will give you sufficient time after leaving your 15-day quarantaine to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at your local Imm Office.  Such application needs to be done when you still have at least 15 days (some IO's require 23 days) left on that 45 day permission to stay.  At the moment of application you would need to show that you have +400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account to meet the financial requirements for such application.  That new 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage would be valid for 90 days, and in the period from 30 (or 45) days before expiry till actual date of expiry, you could then apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that new Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  Be aware that you would then need to provide evidence of +400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account seasoned for at least 2 months at the moment of application.  Note: Since you are currently already staying on a 1-year extension of stay based on an original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, you are of course already aware of these financial requirements. 

#2 - Instead of returning Visa-exempt you could also apply for a 60-day Single-Entry Tourist Visa in UK.  The ONLY difference with the above being that such Visa would provide you with a 60 days permission to stay on entering Thailand.  That's only 15 days more than a Visa-Exempt entry, so imo not worth the hassle.

#3 - You could also apply for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at the London Thai Embassy.  Such Visa would provide you with a 90-day permission to stay when entering Thailand.  And at the end of those 90-days you could then apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that new Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  Be aware that in that case you would need to provide evidence of +400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account seasoned for at least 2 months at the moment of application. 

So it boils down to a choice for #1 or #3.  Since you are already familiar with Visa or extension of stay applications in Thailand, option #1 is probably your best bet, as it does not require you to apply for the Visa at the London Thai Embassy (as you will be doing the 'change of Visa' process on arrival in Thailand). 

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact @Faz or myself when you have any questions re the above.  Success!

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

In Thailand currently - visa expires Nov 17th - plan to leave Aug 22 so next Sunday

As @BlueSphinx already advised, either 1 or 3 your best options.

Pros and Cons.
Enter Visa exempt > 45 days on entry.
Covid Insurance only required for 60 days.
Return/outbound ticket out of Thailand required.
Must have at least15 days (23 at certain offices) permission of stay left from entry to apply for Non O at Immigration, which will require 2 visits to obtain > before applying for 1 year extension again.
OR
Non Imm O Visa application from Thai Embassy London.
Covid Insurance required for 90 days.
Can apply immediately for a 1 year extension again with the last 30 days of the 90 granted on entry.

*Do you use the 400K funds in the bank method, or the 40K per month overseas transfer method for your extension application.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

As @BlueSphinx already advised, either 1 or 3 your best options.

Pros and Cons.
Enter Visa exempt > 45 days on entry.
Covid Insurance only required for 60 days.
Return/outbound ticket out of Thailand required.
Must have at least15 days (23 at certain offices) permission of stay left from entry to apply for Non O at Immigration, which will require 2 visits to obtain > before applying for 1 year extension again.
OR
Non Imm O Visa application from Thai Embassy London.
Covid Insurance required for 90 days.
Can apply immediately for a 1 year extension again with the last 30 days of the 90 granted on entry.

*Do you use the 400K funds in the bank method, or the 40K per month overseas transfer method for your extension application.

40k a month

1 minute ago, Faz said:

Pointless obtaining a re-entry permit unless you can return by Nov 1st at the latest in time to apply for a further extension.

It will be so so tight - thats why I'm thinking better to just accept it might be a 1900 baht waste

39 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

With still more than 3 months to go before the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage expires, you will most probably not be able to already apply for your next extension of stay.  Normally that can be done 30 to 45 days early, but their have been cases of IOs doing it earlier when you have a valid reason.  However, in your case - leaving within 11 days - the 'under consideration period' will normally be longer than those 11 days, so that eliminates that option.  But of course it is worth a try asking at your local Imm Office whether they would be willing to already process your next 1-year extension application under the explicit condition that they can ensure you would receive the approved stamp before your date of departure. 

If the above doesn't work out, you would need to buy a single-entry re-entry permit (1.000 THB) at your local Immigration Office or in the departure hall of the international thai airport from which you would be departing.  Such re-entry permit will protect your current Nov 17 permission to stay, and can be bought up till last minute before leaving Thailand.

Obviously if you do NOT intend to return to Thailand before early November, there is no point in buying such re-entry permit.  I mention early November, because on return you will be quarantained for 15 days during which time you will not be able to do the 1-year extension of stay application.  

In case you foresee not to return to Thailand before early November, you have 3 options:

#1 - Returning Visa-exempt (without having applied for a Visa) > on arrival in Thailand you will then be stamped in for a 45 day permission to stay.  This will give you sufficient time after leaving your 15-day quarantaine to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at your local Imm Office.  Such application needs to be done when you still have at least 15 days (some IO's require 23 days) left on that 45 day permission to stay.  At the moment of application you would need to show that you have +400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account to meet the financial requirements for such application.  That new 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage would be valid for 90 days, and in the period from 30 (or 45) days before expiry till actual date of expiry, you could then apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that new Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  Be aware that you would then need to provide evidence of +400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account seasoned for at least 2 months at the moment of application.  Note: Since you are currently already staying on a 1-year extension of stay based on an original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, you are of course already aware of these financial requirements. 

#2 - Instead of returning Visa-exempt you could also apply for a 60-day Single-Entry Tourist Visa in UK.  The ONLY difference with the above being that such Visa would provide you with a 60 days permission to stay on entering Thailand.  That's only 15 days more than a Visa-Exempt entry, so imo not worth the hassle.

#3 - You could also apply for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at the London Thai Embassy.  Such Visa would provide you with a 90-day permission to stay when entering Thailand.  And at the end of those 90-days you could then apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that new Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  Be aware that in that case you would need to provide evidence of +400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account seasoned for at least 2 months at the moment of application. 

So it boils down to a choice for #1 or #3.  Since you are already familiar with Visa or extension of stay applications in Thailand, option #1 is probably your best bet, as it does not require you to apply for the Visa at the London Thai Embassy (as you will be doing the 'change of Visa' process on arrival in Thailand). 

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact @Faz or myself when you have any questions re the above.  Success!

Fantastic info - many thanks. I live virtually walking distance from my local Immigration office who are actually a helpful bunch. I will see if the extension now flies, though doubtful I accept. Then consider 1 or 3.

If things go to plan I would be due to return last week Oct/first week Nov but selling a property in the UK so anything could crop up with the paper work so need to cover all bases.

4th option would just be never to return but I would miss our Soi dog !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Benroon said:

40k a month

Make sure you keep the transfers going whilst in the UK.

22 minutes ago, Benroon said:

It will be so so tight - thats why I'm thinking better to just accept it might be a 1900 baht waste

1,000 BHT for a single re-entry permit.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Benroon said:

Fantastic info - many thanks. I live virtually walking distance from my local Immigration office who are actually a helpful bunch. I will see if the extension now flies, though doubtful I accept. Then consider 1 or 3.

If things go to plan I would be due to return last week Oct/first week Nov but selling a property in the UK so anything could crop up with the paper work so need to cover all bases.

4th option would just be never to return but I would miss our Soi dog !

When your local Imm Office is willing to process your 1-year marriage extension of stay already AND they can ensure the under consideration process will only take 1 week so that you have the 1-year extension stamped in your passport before 22 August (day of your departure), that would be your best option.

In case they are not willing to do that or cannot ensure that - shortened -  under consideration process, I would surely recommend you to buy a Re-Entry Permit.  It costs only 1.000,- THB and it will avoid a lot of admin hassle when you are able to return latest 1 November.  When not being able to do that, it's only 1.000 THB lost, so no big deal.

But as @Faz already indicated > You mentioned that you are NOT using the 400K funds-in-bank method to meet the financial requirements for your current 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O visa for reason of retirement,   But you are using the +40K monthly income-transfer method (with foreign origins proven), so you need to make sure that you keep on transferring these amounts on a monthly basis EVEN if you are not able to extend your current 1-year permission to stay. 

The reason being that even when entering Thailand Visa Exempt and then applying for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement < option #1 as explained in my earlier post >, that you would need to provide evidence of having transferred in the 12 or 13 months preceding your application +40K during each and every of those 12-13 months (with foreign origins proven).  And same applies if you entered on a NEW 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage acquired at the London Thai Embassy < option #3 > , and then have to apply at your local Imm Office for the 1-year extension based on that new Non Imm O Visa.

Cheers and success!

52 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

When your local Imm Office is willing to process your 1-year marriage extension of stay already AND they can ensure the under consideration process will only take 1 week so that you have the 1-year extension stamped in your passport before 22 August (day of your departure), that would be your best option.

In case they are not willing to do that or cannot ensure that - shortened -  under consideration process, I would surely recommend you to buy a Re-Entry Permit.  It costs only 1.000,- THB and it will avoid a lot of admin hassle when you are able to return latest 1 November.  When not being able to do that, it's only 1.000 THB lost, so no big deal.

But as @Faz already indicated > You mentioned that you are NOT using the 400K funds-in-bank method to meet the financial requirements for your current 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O visa for reason of retirement,   But you are using the +40K monthly income-transfer method (with foreign origins proven), so you need to make sure that you keep on transferring these amounts on a monthly basis EVEN if you are not able to extend your current 1-year permission to stay. 

The reason being that even when entering Thailand Visa Exempt and then applying for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement < option #1 as explained in my earlier post >, that you would need to provide evidence of having transferred in the 12 or 13 months preceding your application +40K during each and every of those 12-13 months (with foreign origins proven).  And same applies if you entered on a NEW 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage acquired at the London Thai Embassy < option #3 > , and then have to apply at your local Imm Office for the 1-year extension based on that new Non Imm O Visa.

Cheers and success!

Cannot edit my post anymore > but I accidentally mentioned 'for reason of retirement' twice, while I meant of course 'for reason of marriage' as that is the reason for which you will be applying for the Non Imm O Visa or its 1-year extension.  Sorry for that blooper...

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

Worth a try, but highly unlikely.
I always apply at least 30 days prior to my existing extension expiring and the under consideration stamp is always dated 30 days beyond the extension expiry date.

Last year my application was approved within 3 weeks, a new record for me.
This year my application was approved after 7 weeks, which is more the norm.
At least my Immigration office call to advise when the application has been approved and I can call in for the 1 year extension stamp. 

Nothing to lose by asking the question though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

Worth a try, but highly unlikely.
I always apply at least 30 days prior to my existing extension expiring and the under consideration stamp is always dated 30 days beyond the extension expiry date.

Last year my application was approved within 3 weeks, a new record for me.
This year my application was approved after 7 weeks, which is more the norm.
At least my Immigration office call to advise when the application has been approved and I can call in for the 1 year extension stamp. 

Nothing to lose by asking the question though.

I agree that it is highly unlikely his local Imm Office would be able to provide him with divisional approved 1-year extension of stay stamp in such a short period.  But as he mentioned that he lived at walking distance from the IO it is worth asking the question, and if they cannot guarantee the approval stamp within 9 days (his departure date) he could then simply buy the Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit while being at the office (1.000 THB).

Agreed, well worth the 1,000 BHT cost in the off chance he can return before his extension expires.
If not, option 1 or 3 and the only loss is 1,000 BHT.

• Like 1