Foreigner killed in Chon Buri car accident, other driver skedaddles

Thaiger

Last night, an unnamed foreign driver died after his sedan hit what officials believe was a trailer truck in Chon Buri, which sits on the Gulf of Thailand. When police arrived, the other vehicle was no longer present at the scene. Police and emergency responders were alerted to the accident at 10:30 pm at Motorway 7 in Nongprue. When they got to the scene, officials discovered a heavily damaged sedan and a 39 year old male, Caucasian driver inside the vehicle. The man’s name has been withheld from the media until there has been a verification from his family and […]

The post Foreigner killed in Chon Buri car accident, other driver skedaddles appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

9 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

The report did not mention that the accident occurred around 10.30pm during curfew hours.

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Police and emergency responders were alerted to the accident at 10:30 pm

Though the accident may have occurred prior to lockdown as 10.30pm was only the time reported.

So who's the coward that probably  just stopped in the road, due to lack of drivers training,  or overall sense  of other drivers on the road?  One can only hope justice is served.

Good chance if the car ran into the back of a large  loaded truck that the driver might be unaware of the accident.

Unless they have changed the law recently it is not ileagal to leave the scene of a road accident in Thailand.

You have 48 hours to report it to the police.

The driver may well show up at a police station within the required time frame with a legal representative.

Used to be perfectly legal to do that and may well still be.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Good chance if the car ran into the back of a large  loaded truck that the driver might be unaware of the accident.

Unless they have changed the law recently it is not ileagal to leave the scene of a road accident in Thailand.

You have 48 hours to report it to the police.

The driver may well show up at a police station within the required time frame with a legal representative.

Used to be perfectly legal to do that and may well still be.

Interesting but most of all, frightening, if that law is still in force, especially with an eye to the possibility of 'the other (disappeared) guy' being inebriated at the time. Hard to believe!

• Like 1

It is hard to believe but was most certainly legal for many decades and it probably still is.

I think it was due to people stoping after after accidents generally in villages when they ran people over and getting beaten to death by local mobs.

That has happened quite a few times also.

You are correct it allows drunken or drugged drivers to evade justice but that's the way it was and probably still is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yes spot on, a police friend of our family has told us before, take pictures if it is safe to do so, but if it is me, a falang, that's involved, and especially if its a remote location with someone hurt, then get the hell out of there and report it when you can.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Interesting but most of all, frightening, if that law is still in force, especially with an eye to the possibility of 'the other (disappeared) guy' being inebriated at the time. Hard to believe!

Under the Land Traffic Act of 1979 / 2522 it's illegal to leave the scene of an accident in Thailand until police arrive unless all involved agree responsibility or you're taking someone injured in the accident to hospital, and it's a criminal offence (Sections 78 and 160) with a penalty of a fine and / or three months jail time.

Edit: claiming that someone told you on Thaiger Talk that you had 48 hours to report the accident isn't likely to cut much ice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Fair enough I'm wrong but I'm with Mr benroon on this one.if you are involved in an accident up country best leave the scene and report it at a police station as soon as practical.no point quoting the law (though you are correct) to a lynch mob.

If the law was imposed in practice as written why was boss able to leave and not imprisoned?

• Like 1

So, lemme get this straight. The guy who died ran his car into a truck and it's the truck driver's fault?

And look at the pictures in the story's source. That is a "heavily damaged sedan" in the same way that SomTam is "spicy". The thing is freaking destroyed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

So, lemme get this straight. The guy who died ran his car into a truck and it's the truck driver's fault?

And look at the pictures in the story's source. That is a "heavily damaged sedan" in the same way that SomTam is "spicy". The thing is freaking destroyed.

Where the accident seems to have happened (No 7 motorway towards Sattahip) it is a well lit dual carriageway.

Assuming that the trailer was stationary it should have been easily visible (unlike some other areas where similar incidents have occurred)

• Like 2

RIP young man

Here in Oz there was a spate of Automobile suicides a few years back, popular collision points being bridges on freeways and the back of very large trucks. Theory was that the insurance pay out (if it was deemed an accident) looked after the family for a very long time.

1 hour ago, ThairdOfBS said:

RIP young man

Here in Oz there was a spate of Automobile suicides a few years back, popular collision points being bridges on freeways and the back of very large trucks. Theory was that the insurance pay out (if it was deemed an accident) looked after the family for a very long time.

Wow that’s a high risk way to go in that you could be just left mangled but alive ! 

14 hours ago, Stonker said:

Edit: claiming that someone told you on Thaiger Talk that you had 48 hours to report the accident isn't likely to cut much ice.

Yet ! ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Transam said:

Doesn't leaving the scene give the impression of guilt..?

More like the realization of how the Thai legal system works when dead foreigners are involved. After curfew, maybe questionable immigration status; whatever it is we'll find out eventually. Along with the deceased's blood alcohol levels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Transam said:

Not only the impression.

As well as being an offence, it also makes you guilty under the law if the circumstances are disputed and unclear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Transam said:

It doesn’t help your cause for sure but better than being beaten to death by irritated locals. 

Rather than the 48 hours mentioned earlier if you went straight to the police I reckon should be ok. 

Someone went up the inside of me once as I was pulling over (indicating), they mistimed it and ended up in a heap, to my surprise many Thais who witnessed it stayed calm but then one guy who couldn’t possibly have seen it came flying over raging I was going too fast etc etc (now given my stopping destination was about 5 metres in front that was impossible) - however his attitude raised the tension immediately - fortunately my Mrs who is not to be messed with (well I’m scared of her)  if you value your life, told him to do one or she would call in a ‘contact’ - he left promptly but it just goes to show how something seemingly under control can escalate quickly. 

For the record it was a 14 year old girl that came a cropper. totally her fault but she was extremely upset, naturally after doing a few cartwheels down the road, so I gave her1000 baht for a new pair of jeans whilst making everyone understand it was not an admission of guilt but just to try and make her day a little better.Her dad who earlier looked a tad edgy, naturally, eased up and shook my hand. Everyone went home. Everything can be talked out but you only need one moron ….

I guess each case needs to be judged on it’s merits 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cathat said:

If the law was imposed in practice as written why was boss able to leave and not imprisoned?

The only police officer at the scene was hardly in a position to stop him.

... and once he reported to the police, after the member of his staff who initially claimed to have been driving was found to have been elsewhere, it was one of the string of offences he was charged with and jumped bail on.

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

For the record it was a 14 year old girl that came a cropper. totally her fault but she was extremely upset, .....

Impossible to say, but judging by what you've written you were turning left and she was behind or inside you and you cut her up which means it was your fault, not hers, and it's hard to see how it could have been otherwise - indicating turning doesn't entitle you to turn.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Cathat said:

Exactly.

My aunt-in-law and family were coming up here from Bangkok for a family funeral a few years ago and they missed the turning to Loei after Chumphae and drove straight into the back of a loaded trailer-truck parked on the hard shoulder.

The driver was in the cab having a break, and he didn't even know he'd been hit until a passing car stopped to see if anyone needed help - their pick-up was a write-off and they were all hospitalised, but the truck driver hadn't even felt it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

Impossible to say, but judging by what you've written you were turning left and she was behind or inside you and you cut her up which means it was your fault, not hers, and it's hard to see how it could have been otherwise - indicating turning doesn't entitle you to turn.

Bizarre - thank god you’re not a copper. 

Now follow this slowly - if you’re behind a car which then puts it’s left indicator on, and you choose then to shoot up the inside of a car who has clearly INDICATED it’s intentions, rather than overtake it on the OUTSIDE which I believe is the tradition in every country on the planet, it’s the car drivers fault right ?

55555 ok 

• Thanks 1