Covid Care Centres to be set up for asymptomatic Phuket patients

Thaiger

Phuket is planning to establish “Covid Care Centres” for asymptomatic patients. The Phuket Provincial Government is planning on setting up the alliterative establishment in each of Phuket’s 3 districts for people who have Covid, but the people will only be tested by a rapid antigen test. Further, the centres will only admit people who show no signs of infection. Pichet Panapong, Phuket’s Vice Governor, announced the centres at a meeting of the Phuket Communicable Disease Committee yesterday, says a report by the PR Phuket. Pichet says CCC will get a budget from the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation to buy 5,000 […]

The post Covid Care Centres to be set up for asymptomatic Phuket patients appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

33 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Why would you set up anything for asymptomatic people? They have no symptoms and should self isolate. 

I think they don't trust people to self isolate. ... Ergo its a 'quasi' medical prison - although that is a very harsh description.

35 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Why would you set up anything for asymptomatic people? They have no symptoms and should self isolate. imbeciles...

Because a lot of people here can't self isolate as they don't have anywhere to do so.

Hardly rocket science, before you start calling people "imbeciles".

I note the article also states:

CCC will get a budget from the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation to buy 5,000 tests. He did not reveal the budget.

5,000 test kits ?  For an island of a population of 500,000 ??    Further no mention of the budget.

This is nothing, and it sadly indirectly indicates these test kits are not cheap, and quite possibly Phuket is struggling to find the budget to buy the Test Kits.  

Without testing, its very difficult to know the progress of the pandemic.  Without knowing the progress of the pandemic, it greatly complicates the ability of the government to make the optimal decisions.

Hopefully the medical authorities are able to find a budget to obtain many more, dare I say 20x more (than 5,000), test kits in the near future?

Likely even 20x more is not enough.  Perhaps 100x more is more appropriate.

• Like 1

My husband and I are vaccinated from the USA and planning a trip to Phuket at the end of August as part of the sandbox program.  If we happen to test positive upon arrival or on the 6th day and be asymptomatic (or just one of us) does that mean we cant self isolate at our already paid for hotel?  Would have to go to one of these centers???  If so, I do not think we are willing to take the risk of coming and being isolated for a trip we have waited nearly 2 years to take!

7 hours ago, vacation said:

My husband and I are vaccinated from the USA and planning a trip to Phuket at the end of August as part of the sandbox program.  If we happen to test positive upon arrival or on the 6th day and be asymptomatic (or just one of us) does that mean we cant self isolate at our already paid for hotel?  Would have to go to one of these centers???  If so, I do not think we are willing to take the risk of coming and being isolated for a trip we have waited nearly 2 years to take!

Correct. You would have to go to one of these centres. Currently, you'd have to go to a field hospital. And you'll need to pay for the privilege and all the tests. Some of the first people into the Phuket sandbox were on a plane with people who tested positive on arrival. They were all told to go straight to a state quarantine facility, but elected to return home immediately instead, many thousand of dollars the poorer. Personally, I think you'd be better off postponing the trip. There's nothing to do in Phuket anyway as many things are closed. 

2 hours ago, js89 said:

There's nothing to do in Phuket anyway as many things are closed. 

I've heard from some friends who are Sandboxing it and having a great time. A lot more seems to be open in terms of activities than I expected to hear. On the business side of things they said that about half the businesses are shuttered and half are operating normally.

9 hours ago, vacation said:

If we happen to test positive upon arrival or on the 6th day and be asymptomatic (or just one of us) does that mean we cant self isolate at our already paid for hotel?  Would have to go to one of these centers???

The rules for tourists are different. If you tested positive and are asymptomatic you'd get sent to a quarantine hotel (at your expense) for further monitoring. If you were symptomatic, you would go to a private hospital and your husband (or vice versa) would end up at a quarantine hotel. Your Sandbox hotel would refund unused days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vacation said:

Would have thought that if you used a little common sense you would not have been contemplating a visit to Phuket for just a holiday anyway given all the bad reports about it. Whilst you have waited 2 years you surely can not that be desperate to  visit  and run the risk of imposed government confinement can you ? If you do and the worst happens don't start telling us about it because 99% of the responses will no doubt be "I told you so".  Go somewhere else this month much safer and heed your own government's warning (assuming you are from the USA)  about the risks here. Consider 2022 instead.

16 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I've heard from some friends who are Sandboxing it and having a great time. A lot more seems to be open in terms of activities than I expected to hear. On the business side of things they said that about half the businesses are shuttered and half are operating normally.

Correct James.  For those who visit Phuket purely for sun, sand and relaxation there is plenty of that to be enjoyed at their chosen resort. 
Having lived on Phuket I continue recommending Kamala Beach as a destination during this pandemic due to a variety of businesses which remain open.  Reason being it's a large residential area favoured by expats yet removed from the normally tourist-oriented centres.
SunPrime* resort is beachfront, affordable and guests can walk to the main shops and restaurants.

*[I have no affiliation with the property]

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gummy said:

Would have thought that if you used a little common sense you would not have been contemplating a visit to Phuket for just a holiday anyway given all the bad reports about it. Whilst you have waited 2 years you surely can not that be desperate to  visit  and run the risk of imposed government confinement can you ? If you do and the worst happens don't start telling us about it because 99% of the responses will no doubt be "I told you so".  Go somewhere else this month much safer and heed your own government's warning (assuming you are from the USA)  about the risks here. Consider 2022 instead.

I must admit that Phuket does not appeal even in pre-Covid times. I have only used as a place to take visiting family/friends..... I hate the rip-off feel of the place and the tuk-tuk drivers are just b4stards. I accept that many of the things that contribute to my dislike will simply not be open (and the kiss me quick hat brigade will also be absent)........ that would, of course, make a sun and sea break more attractive.

I cannot see ANY appeal at the present time with all the closures. If it is a peaceful beach based holiday that I was looking for I would head to Khao Lak and as 'all inclusive' as I could. 

Edited by Chaimai
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I must admit that Phuket does not appeal even in pre-Covid times. I have only used as a place to take visiting family/friends..... I hate the rip-off feel of the place and the tuk-tuk drivers are just b4stards. I accept that many of the things that contribute to my dislike will simply not be open (and the kiss me quick hat brigade will also be absent)........ that would, of course, make a sun and sea break more attractive.

I cannot see ANY appeal at the present time with all the closures. If it is a peaceful beach based holiday that I was looking for I would head to Khao Lak and as 'all inclusive' as I could. 

100% agree with you and I am not sure what I dislike most about the place. Is it the the blatant rip-offs or the obnoxious snob brigades mainly from the UK ? As I posted elsewhere 30 years ago it was a very different and better place than it is today in my opinion, although I was last there taking friends in 2018 so perhaps it has improved since then

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

100% agree with you and I am not sure what I dislike most about the place. Is it the the blatant rip-offs or the obnoxious snob brigades mainly from the UK ? As I posted elsewhere 30 years ago it was a very different and better place than it is today in my opinion, although I was last there taking friends in 2018 so perhaps it has improved since then

It hasn't improved gummy.  Many of the beach-loving expats gravitated out of Patong, Kata, Karon areas to Kamala, Surin, Bang tao .... and use the northern route to airport or Phuket Town rather than fight the traffic thru Patong and over the hill.

Others moved over to Samui and a large number came to Chiang Mai to escape the tourist madness and congestion (in normal times).

I understand even Kamala is becoming too crowded with all the new townhouses and condos yet streets too narrow to cope with much more than scooters.

11 hours ago, vacation said:

Thailand like Israel is on the "Level 4 - Do Not Travel" list.

The first person who tested positive because she was exposed to covid on the plane was moved from her hotel to a quarantine hotel that cost three times as much. I believe she was not returning and traveled on to Chiang Mai. The situation here changes day to day. Are you flying from Bangkok to Phuket because that has been changed to a 11 hour bus trip.   

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

Thailand like Israel is on the "Level 4 - Do Not Travel" list.

The first person who tested positive because she was exposed to covid on the plane was moved from her hotel to a quarantine hotel that cost three times as much. I believe she was not returning and traveled on to Chiang Mai. The situation here changes day to day. Are you flying from Bangkok to Phuket because that has been changed to a 11 hour bus trip.   

Check out Stefanie Korényi's story. She handled her situation superbly - and calmly. She was a long-stayer and always intended to move on to Chiang Mai to teach/study.

I believe that her switch to ASQ was covered by her travel insurance - intended travelers are recommended to check that their insurance covers immediate arrival.

• Like 1

This ThaiGer news-article is symptomatic for the (deliberate?) confusion on covid.  Prior to covid a 'case' or a 'patient' was somebody who was ill.  To use those terms for someone that 'tested positive' is an abomination.

A positive test-result does not necessarily mean the person is ill.  There are several other reasons why one can get such a positive test-result:

#1 - If you did had covid earlier without even noticing it and did recover;

#2 - If you did had flu or another corona-virus infection prior to the test;

#3 - Both the PCR test as well as the rapid antigen-test are far from accurate, and can and do result in many 'false positives'.

So now we have a situation in which as the article states > Phuket is planning to establish “Covid Care Centres” for asymptomatic patients. The Phuket Provincial Government is planning on setting up the alliterative establishment in each of Phuket’s 3 districts for people who have Covid, but the people will only be tested by a rapid antigen test. Further, the centres will only admit people who show no signs of infection.

Why not simply write that these centers are for people with no symptoms that want to get tested, and then be clear about what will happen when that test indicates a positive, instead of the above gubbledegook.

people without symptoms, are not sick
have to go anywhere, to do anything ? :)
now everyone know, why government and news, is not liked anymore.
so called "virus", what "flies" through the air, in your mouth,
is a good idea, for a movie.
-
what, tv numbers ( new, virus infected, people ) can cause,
as, people do "self isolate" but not know,
are most sick /healthy ? if sick, from what ? and how is this proved ?
-
after start to give much vaccine, have higher numbers than before,
what not even has to be true, because, TV = tell a "vision",
but one thing is more realistic than the other.
but who cares, most people follow, fear, not logic.

Edited by think-and-ask