Pros and cons of living in Thailand

Thaiger

Thinking of moving or retiring in Thailand? Moving to another country can seem exciting, especially when you’re moving to a country as beautiful as Thailand. Living in a country filled with postcard-worthy islands, lush jungles, delicious food, eclectic nightlife, and interesting culture may sound like a dream. However, just like in any other part of the world, there are both good and ugly parts of the Land of Smiles. There are indeed many advantages to choosing Thailand as your home, but there are also several things that might be a deal-breaker for you. It’s important that you weigh up the […]

The post Pros and cons of living in Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I agree with all the pros and cons. Personally, I'm not a fan of their food. I had a Thai gf and tried to stay on a diet that matched hers. Every time I made a solid stool, I would send a picture of it to my friends. Me and Thai cuisine must stay nodding acquaintances.

I'm also an avid bicyclist and LOVE finding wats I never knew existed and posting pictures to my friends (MUCH more appreciated than solid turds!). Riding to Khao Chi Chan aka Buddha Mountain is on my regular routes list as is Lake Mabprachan.  All told, Thailand always gets a solid "two thumbs up" from this guy.

20210804_094047.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Seriously?................ that is your pushbike centre stage in the photo ?  ?

Yup! This is one of my favorite shots, on the way to Khao Chi Chan:

20210301_090640.jpg

Edited by HappyExpat
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:

Every time I made a solid stool, I would send a picture of it to my friends.

Kinky ..

or are we talking foot or pigeon ..

• Haha 4

Just now, Dedinbed said:

Kinky ..

or are we talking foot or pigeon ..

No, the poopy stool. Thai food just gives me the Hershey squirts.

Agreed with all the cons and could add a few, but none of the pros. Don't eat the food, friendly and welcoming people, not really these days and I would not say housing options are not great as you can only own a condo without dodgy legalities. Hub of international culture? that would be minus world class museums, concert halls, orchestras, art galleries and even a decent football team then. 

Only 2 pros I can think of, the bin men are great they will take anything, and the music scene, although that had been going downhill for years before the virus.

Edited by thai3

In an attempt to get this thread out of the toilet, and starting with the positives of life in Thailand, here’s my starters…..

1. When I arrive in Thailand I feel 10 years younger. A combination of the warm weather, lack of western woke culture and the odd nervous smile from a pretty girl lifts the spirits. 

2. Food is great but you have to know what to order. I do wish menus in English would have the Translation from the Thai names. “Spicy minced pork or chicken with Royal basil leaves” is fine as a description, but it’s a bit hard to reorder Grapow Moo or gai when they don’t name it in English. (Sorry, that was a negative!).

3. Being able to park you motorbike anywhere you want (within reason) and your car almost anywhere you want. no need to pay crazy parking rates to pop to the shops. 

4. Service in places like furniture and DIY stores. No carrying heavy flat pack furniture to your car and then spending an hour or more putting it together. Point to it, and pay for it. Next thing it arrives at your home and two guys put it together for you. 

5. Being able to have a meal and a beer at any time of the day or night (excluding alcohol bans during the day in places like 7/11).  Even in major cities in the West it can be hard to find a restaurant open much after 11pm.  If they are then they are usually Asian! 

6.  It’s not just beer and food which has no apparent time limits. If you want a hair cut or a massage at 10pm, you’ll most likely find it. 

7. Despite the many negative comments about the locals on this forum (including from myself), generally they are decent people (same most places in the world mind you).  The news tends to focus on the bad rather than the good. I’ve generally found Thais to be fun loving and kind hearted. Just don’t upset them. They can flip at lightening speed and you won’t see the first blow coming!   

8. Getting around the country by air and to neighbouring countries is relatively cheap. I can’t even get from Central London to Heathrow as cheap as I can get from Bangkok to Udon Thani by air. 

9.  The Thais are less judgemental about people. Particularly with how people dress or their age. They will take you for how they find you generally. 

10. Finally one to get is heading back to the toilet. I do love the bum guns!  The water sprays in toilets I’m referring to before any smart ass makes cheeky reference to Ladyboys! 

I’m sure there is more. Oh, did I mention the women who love to look and behave like women?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

hmm.. a bit of context here:  as a Thai person born here, moved and lived in the US for 30 years before came back 4 years ago, it's such an eye opening to be back.  Definitely agree on pro/cons and there is no such perfect place.  I guess  it depends on what's important to each person: food, culture, weather,...  A LOT has been mentioned about the all good things living in Thailand has to offer.  But honestly there are quite a few things that most people don't seem to discuss that truly bug me.  May be it's not important to them?  
First, yes, people are generally very nice and very accommodating.  However, I think a lot of people are still operating on flagrant bigotry and stereotypes.  Many find them "funny" and "cute"  but honestly, it's all wrong.   There is big perception of darker skin person being perceived as poor, backward, un-educate and lower class.  So many advertisements are not about healthy skin products but product purposely make your skin lighter..  How is this acceptable (in Thailand OR anywhere?).  

Age discrimination!  Why many health insurance specifically mentioned age bracket to qualify for insurance coverage?   How many times I see job posting indicating only people under certain age or sex?  Why is this acceptable?  

As a gay person, it's very "nice" that Thai people are very accepting.  But really?  Most often than not, "sissy" gay people are just caricatures, being "funny" on TV or as joke.  yes, there is an exposure but is this the ONLY exposure we get?  Most people are "hateful" toward "sissy" if you go outside of that entertainment whelm.  They all want "manly" gay.  WTF!   This stereo types are further the discrimination not helping.   Have anyone seen "Roo Mai Krai Sod (รู้ไหมใครโสด) TV program..  Cringe worthy.  That type of show will never be allowed anywhere..  

Just as recently, watching Olympic broadcast, literally, the Thai announcer said something along the line that US women basketball play who's "plumb" (อวบ) can shoot the basketball really well.  In addition, he also said that one of the "white" play can play REALLY well.  She's the number one player on the team.  How does one person race or shape relevant to their ability?  How is this acceptable?  If someone says this in the US, they would be fired on spot.  

I guess these are important issues (to me) and yes, I enjoy living here as many points out the pros.    

• Like 8

@ExpatTomi salute to you for writing down what I also notice perhaps this can be summarized as 'racism' which would be a con off course. Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand, I live here and have my life here.

Thailand isn't super "accepting" to a lot of modern way styles (short list:

1. Gay Marriage, it has been discussed but put in fridge.
2. Foreign ownership of companies without the intervention of the BOI.
3. House & Land ownership.)

Again: I love Thailand, I can agree with the pro and con list but 5 could be written down as flat out racism, racism in price, racism in skin color (which they envy at one point - Try saying the N-word in USA without a all out war, here it's ok to call us 'farang's and the government even promotes the dual pricing in the hospitals.).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HappyExpat said:

Yup! This is one of my favorite shots, on the way to Khao Chi Chan:

20210301_090640.jpg

Nice area...I am in Bang Saray.

pros for me are simple

nice people/culture, cheap living expenses

actually quite a few cons but the cheap living expenses out weights them in my opinion

less technologically advanced, can't access big brands/get the quality from big brands (for example amazon has all the big brands in north america and you're guaranteed it's legit). I think my that's my biggest con. I'd prefer to have access to reliable brands/goods and a company that will guarantee it. If walmart, costco or amazon came to thailand that would be amazing.

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with Soidog and ExpatTom.

But to the author/OP, I don't think "Thai food" should be listed at all, especially at #1. a) It indirectly shows a dearth of pros to choose from. b) I don't think anyone moves to (or even travels to) any country for the food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The biggest con is the disgusting second hand smoke. You almost can not leave your room, and not immediately get hit with other people's smoke.

• Like 1

I think the cons list has grown over the years.  Thai people have become significantly more jaded and less friendly overall in the major cities and tourist zones prior to the pandemic.  The shift from Western tourists to mass tourism with a Chinese and Indian focus, further eroded any sort of expectation of quality customer service.  Bodies in, bodies out.

Thai people are happy to smile when they think you are buying something, but quick to scoff and turn their back when you say you don't want it or aren't interested. 

In fact, half of the 'pros' listed in this thread aren't even available throughout this pandemic, the situation and quality of life has been significantly altered from what previously made Thailand a good choice:  

• It is no longer a good home base for traveling throughout Asia as international tourism has collapsed. 
  • Domestic tourism and getting around the country is full of random provincial rules and restrictions.
  • It is no longer full of ample massage shops and good restaurants open throughout the night.
  • It no longer has the carefree and exciting night life that so many came here for, it's all closed and gone.

There is no telling how long these restrictions or deviations from the prior norm will continue to exist.  The choice of where to live or retire for the next few years (at least) should absolutely take all these aspects into consideration.  Comparing the prior state of things to the current state of things is not apples to apples.

With the current government in place and the way the country is going backwards, it would be a tough decision to say retiring in Thailand is a good idea.  There are a multitude of other destinations that simply make more sense these days.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

I do wish menus in English would have the Translation from the Thai names.

Well... You could learn to read Thai... ?

• Like 3

Thai food can be bought in most counties of the world and it normally tastes better than food in Thailand as the meat and other ingredients have to be a certain standard, not the gristly fatty meat Thais eat.

Most countries have a selection of type of housing to live in.

Thailand is so hot that if I had to work there I would not go, but it is good as a long term tourist. Most Thais find it too hot as well, "rhon mark", they say a few times a day.

So if you can get round in you own air con car during the hot part of the day and then enjoy the cooler evenings then it great for long holidays.

I always wonder what happens to old farangs when they have stayed in Thailand for years and then get past 75 or even 80, surely they can not get medical insurance at that age and have to leave for free medical care back in their own country at some point. 

I know of such a person last year he was 80, he could not afford to pay for private treatment in Thailand and could not get insurance cover at that age,  he became ill, returned to the UK, went to hospital and died shortly afterwards as he had left it too late to get treatment in Thailand.

So my ideal scenario would not to sell your property in your own country, keep your investments there too, rent out your house and use the money from that to live on in Thailand, that way you will stay in parallel with house prices etc at home and so when you do have to return you will not be broke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesE said:

Well... You could learn to read Thai... ?

Or as I do I memorize foods i love so I know how to say them anywhere in LOS..khao neow--moo nam tok...

Of course one can learn Khao pad(fried rice) then build on it chili(prik)  moo(pork)  chix(gai)   egg(kai dow)=khao pad prik gai kai dow=fried rice with chili, chicken, and fried egg.... good to at least learn thai #s

For a place that only has thai menu the ole google translate app has a cam that scans in real time--of course is not a an exact translation but I think is good enough to give one an idea of what your can order

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

osl time--of course is not a an exact translation but I think is good enough to give one an idea of what your can order

Massaman curry moo, my favourite street food is Moo Dang Noodle(s) yai.

Just now, 9S_ said:

Girls girls girls. 

If I moved back to the US no girl would bat an eye towards me. But here in Thailand it’s a different story. 

That's because back in your home country you have features that are similar to every other male there. Whereas here in Thailand, whilst there are a few of us foreigners albeit spread around the country, our features are so different to what they are used too so hence for them we are all "hansum" men ?

5 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

One pro i like is Thai 7-11. They are everywhere and their selection of food is pretty good and service is impeccable. 

I agree, when I go on long road trips in Thailand it is great to stop at a 7/11, give the ready made food to the people working there who microwave it for you, 7/11 is very handy for such situations. 

Noodles with prawns, toasted ham and cheese sandwiches.

Tesco and Central Shopping too are great for food in the food halls normally on the top floor and very cheap while you are travelling. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gummy said:

That's because back in your home country you have features that are similar to every other male there. Whereas here in Thailand, whilst there are a few of us foreigners albeit spread around the country, our features are so different to what they are used too so hence for them we are all "hansum" men ?

Only if you have a farang wallet on you if the girl is young and you are old as far as I can see.

Look at Thai couples, the vast majority are of a similar age just like most places in the world, but young girls attracted to old farangs, now that is a different story as above. 

• Like 2

Living in Thailand for almost 22 years. IMO the pro and cons are personal. I like that the weather is never too cold. The biggest pro for me is that, compared to almost any northern european country, there are lesser rules. Start a business there or here, and you know where you want to be.

• Like 1